“this is now out of business”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Olde Bay Tavern - CLOSED

Olde Bay Tavern
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New Market, Maryland, United States
“this is now out of business”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

this was an ok place and I was looking forward to a return visit for dinner as my previous visit was for lunch. But just found out it has closed:-(

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Laura B

“Go somewhere else!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Three of us went for lunch, but we should have gone somewhere else. My wife ordered a chicken quesadilla and ordered the crab quesadilla with fries. Both quesadillas were cold, probably sat to the side waiting for the fries that were not cooked through, and rock solid. The staff was pleasant but that's the only positive to this place.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Brit2380
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A Mess from Beginning to End!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

My fiancé and I recently ate here while staying two nights in nearby Friendship, MD. From Philadelphia, we are in our 30s, well traveled, and generally look for restaurants that take pride in the details—it doesn’t have to be fussy, just pick something and do it well. We also prioritize value—with a baby on the way, we aim to watch our pennies without sacrificing the occasional (ok, frequent) lunch or dinner out.

We decided to eat dinner at the Olde Bay Tavern based on the other TripAdvisor reviews, which were generally positive. What a mistake! From the soggy ash tray of cigarette butts near the door to the soggy fish and chips, it was one of the worst dining experiences of our lives.

We arrive around 8:15 on a Thursday night—their stated hours were until 9pm. There were two other couples inside when we arrived, one just leaving and another having just been sat. The host gracelessly welcomed us and sat us (amid many open tables) at the one table that had a broom and dustbin leaning against it. Not a big deal, right? But instead of moving it, he left it there, and there it sat, in our faces, until the waitress (who we later inferred to be his mother) moved it, joking “He still leaves his socks all over the place, too.” Haha.

Trying to make the best of what I was suspecting to be a bad choice, we began looking through the menu. I do not eat red meat, and having been in the Chesapeake region for the past week, I was a little tired of crab soup and hush puppies. I was also trying to limit my seafood intake as I am 5 months pregnant. I asked the waitress for a recommendation, but she somewhat rudely asked why I couldn’t eat fish while pregnant. I fumbled to explain, and then reiterated my request for recommendations among their chicken dishes. After pointing me toward two, which contained crab, I thanked her and said I needed a bit more time. I ended up choosing the healthy-sounding chicken with pineapple salsa. My fiancé picked the fish and chips.

Waiting for our food to arrive, I nearly gagged as the host then wheeled in a huge bucket of floor-mopping solution and a mop. He parked it literally three feet behind me, and then vanished. The fumes filled the small space and I grew very upset—being pregnant, I have been trying to avoid noxious fumes, and I felt trapped. We sat there, beguiled—were they really going to start cleaning up as if we weren’t even there? And yes, yes they were. The mother and son began clucking abound the space, sweeping, clearing table cloths, mopping. We were about to ask for our food to go when it arrived. We decided, having pretty much lost our appetites, that we’d scarf and go.

The chicken was dry and the salsa was hot (and not spicy, but like, hot). My fiancé’s fish was soggy and the fries were greasy. We picked at our food, asked for the bill, and left as soon as we could—clearly, we were in the way of them finishing their chores (by this point, they’d literally cleaned everything but the very spot in which we sat). Needless to say, I would NOT recommend this place to ANYONE. The owner seemed nice enough, but HIGHLY inexperienced in the hospitality business. She was definitely oblivious to how uncomfortable we were—my advice would be: Take your guests’ experience at your business seriously. If you want to be able to lock your restaurant’s doors at 9pm, stop seating people at 8!

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank PleaseKeepLeft
Maryland
“Great crab cakes and variety!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stopped here on our way to the Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa and got lunch. Crab cake sandwich was pricy ($16.99) but worth it. Fresh cut fries, little filler, old bay sauce, excellent! Looks like a house on the outside, very quaint on the inside. I'd come back here again!!

Visited May 2013
Anderson, South Carolina
“Excellent food and service in North Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We found this eatery via Trip Advisor and based on it's looks and crowd at lunch we gave it a try. Wow! The broiled halibut was fresh and the crab cakes were flavorful. But the best are the French fries. And to top it off our waitress was friendly, efficient, and obviously liked her job. I would go back anytime and try their other seafood entrees.

• Visited May 2013