“On the town”

Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Newburg
Cuisines: Armenian, Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A True Southern Maryland Style Crabhouse and Seafood restaurant. Serving Steamed Crabs and a full menue. Open year-round
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I grew up not far from here and always love the food and the fact that it was right on the water. The food is consistantly good and the price is fair for the delecious fresh seafood that you get. I always try to go here when I am home.

warren y, Owner at Captain John's Crab House, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Just wanted to say Thank You for being a guest and for the good review. We look forward to serving you again.
Thanks
Warren Yates
GM

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We took some friends to Capt. Johns' for a night out and sampled their "Seafood Buffet". At $18.95, it was worth h cost and provided quite a selection of various foods. I'd recommend that you stick with he Fried oysters, Fried/steamed shrimp and crab balls. The bay scallops were tough and chewy and the "Seafood Imperial" was plain imitation "crab" (formed fish paste). On can make a good meal by choosing carefully. They do lack a selection of vegetables - Corn-on-the-cob and mushy mixed vegetables were the choices. Strangely, there were funnel cakes for desert!?!?
Overall, a reasonable meal (if carefully chosen) for the price.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Recently visited Captain John's at the recommendation of the owner of the house we rented on the island. As one of the only reservations they had on a Sunday night, a table should have been ready for our party of 7 right? Wrong. Not only did the table that had the "Reserved" sign on it have chair missing, we were given the table behind it. Then 5 minutes later the hostess came over and asked us to move because "her manager said that section wasn't being served anymore". Ok....so the table we were being moved to was being cleaned (not well though because there were still plenty of Cheerios and French fries on the floor as we sat down). Then the waitress (who several patrons referred to as "new") comes over to take our drink orders. I asked for a glass of wine and present my NY drivers license - mind you I'm 28, not looking like an 18 year old and I'm with my in-laws and sister. Because my drivers license has the fortune from a fortune cookie taped on the back of it (and its been there for 6 years without a problem) the waitress has to check it with the manager. She returns and says they can't accept it, I proceed to show multiple forms of identification including credit cards, etc and she states that "only the manager can make the decisions". So now the manager has made two decisions that have disrupted our dining experience and has yet to come over and apologize. About 10 minutes after placing our orders the waitress comes back and states that one of the entrees ordered and the kids meal weren't available....new selections were made. A few minutes after that she returns and states that the alternate entree was also unavailable...onto a third choice for dinner for my family member. Again, no manager to apologize. 45 minutes later our food arrives, well some of it. Several of the side dishes were incorrect, and the two meals that alternates had to be chosen for arrive 10-15 minutes later. Again, no manager although we can see her chatting with other waitresses and patrons standing at the bar. Our waitress became increasingly upset during the course of our meal mostly because of frustration. The kitchen didn't have their act together and the manager did NOTHING to support the waitress or the patrons. The capper was that on our way out, we saw 6 waitresses sitting at a table in the middle of the dining room eating their own dinners and talking like they hadnt a care in the world. Patrons are not #1 at Captain John's - I truly would never go back.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I've been going to Captain John's for 40 years. The food and service "WAS" always great. now the owners have pretty much turned it over to their son and he is running it into the ground. The food is ridicously overpriced. The only reason we go now is just for the crabs. Crabs are still good and better the mess there than at home. Wednesday buffet is "touch and go". Sometimes OK sometimes bad. Service is still good. Check the website for prices before you make the trip there. WWW.CJCRAB.COM

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Captain John’s Crab House has been family owned and operated for over 50 years, is located in Cobb Island, Maryland and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The expansive menu consists of appetizers, steamed seafood, raw bar, soups/salads, sandwiches, and a large variety of entrees, both for seafood or land lover appetites - specializing in Maryland steamed crabs, crab cakes, oysters, and shrimp. It has a relaxed atmosphere, friendly wait staff, good service and delicious food at a reasonable price. We dined on Maryland crab soup, succulent oysters on the half-shell (best ones we’ve eaten all season!), steamed shrimp, fried oyster and clam dinners (done to perfection), and adult beverages. If you’re looking for an authentic Southern Maryland-style crab house, give this one a try!!!