“A Horrible Dining Experience--Avoid this place!”
Review of Drover's Steak and Seafood - CLOSED

Drover's Steak and Seafood
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Surprisingly Good Food: This restaurant really sneaks up on you. From the outside, it just looks OK, but the food is delicious and the all-Maryland wines are a fitting accompaniment!
Reviewed July 11, 2012

First, the restaurant is known for its Maryland food and complimentary WINE tasting. We were never given a wine list nor were wines offered, and the waitress only asked if we wanted cocktails. It took her so long to bring us two draft beers that I thought she had brewed them. She explained that it was a new keg, and had to be tapped. (Why wouldn't the keg be tapped before dinner hour?)
Second, the waitress then announced the list of unavailable food: bread!, calamari, crab cakes, crab fondue, and mussels. (No one could pick up bread at the Safeway?) The specials were aged beef: rib eye and New York strip with garlic mashed potatoes for "around $29". We ordered the fried oyster appetizer to share and my wife ordered the rib eye (rare) and I ordered the NY strip (rare).
Third, the oysters were tasteless, and were either canned or frozen. All one could taste was fried corn meal with two sauces. There was no bread plate on my side of the table to share the oysters, so we snatched one from another table.
(BTW: Why are the table cloths in an expensive country restaurant covered in white paper? It feels like a crab house).
Most importantly, my wife's rib eye was not a rib eye, but an enormous prime rib. A rib eye steak is the "fillet" of a prime rib. First of all it's boneless.Not only was the steak not a rib eye, but it was improperly prepared. A prime rib is roasted, it is not grilled or run under a broiler because it's too thick and usually has a tail of fat. My wife's rib eye was a raw prime rib. The fat was still white and lard-like and not even melted. It was tough and terrible. My NY strip was filled with gristle. At $29, there is no excuse for that.
The garlic mashed potatoes turned out to be cubes of roasted or fried potatoes. The seasonal vegetables were a couple of slices of zucchini with a silly garnish of dill.
When I e-mailed the owner of our disappointment he replied that there was no wine list, and the waitress should have announced the complimentary wine sampling, but didn't. The wine list and menu were "in transition" (whatever that means). His explanation for the utterly inedible rib eye was that he deliberately left the "lip" and the tough flank steak as an artistic [resentation which failed. He apologized for his inattention and plead too much work. He did offer a complimentary bottle of wine if we returned.
There is no way I would ever return to this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Drover's Steak and Seafood

Reviewed June 28, 2012

The food here is always excellent. They serve only Maryland wines. Now I'm all about supporting the local industries but I really don't like MD wines. We took my dad and his wife and they know wine so I was concerned.

But what saved the evening is they do a very unique thing: they have several open bottles and they give you the opportunity to sample several. I actually fouund the first MD wine that was good. I believe it was called Slate.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Who would have known there was a jewel of a restaurant on a lovely country road in MD. Drover's owner and chef, Kevin, knows how to prepare and present delicious and sometimes unusual dishes. The wine selection is outstanding and the prices are reasonable.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

We have been to this restaurant twice, as it is close to our home. What a gem to have this restaurant out in the country! Great menu and small, quiet, cozy atmosphere, nicely decorated. This is not inexpensive, comfort food, as the outside of the building would imply. The menu and ingredients are gourmet and innovative, beautifully presented. 3 of us got seafood entrees which were the best ever. My husband had the Chicken Chesapeake which he loved. Desserts were wonderful. Salads were terrific. Service was perfect. best place for a nice meal within 15 miles of the area!

Reviewed February 1, 2012

But I was very disappointed in the food. Not bad, just not very good. Needs to improve to see me again.

1  Thank bkinlein