“Better Options”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hellas

Hellas
Ranked #6 of 26 Restaurants in Millersville
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Crownsville, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better Options”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Clean with full menu. Crab cakes are terrible........ ground crab on inside with a few pcs of lump
placed on outside to fool customer. Pass......

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Douglas B

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
“Gluten free crab cake delight !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We were visiting our family for the valentines weekend and so many places were completely booked. However, I had remembered our friends recommending this place but had no idea they had gluten free recommendations. I had the stuffed shrimp platter with baked potato and veggies. The stuffed shrimp combo had crab cakes made with udi bread. Delicious. And for dessert I had gluten free carrot cake. Our waiter Rich was very helpful and knowledgeable as well as one of the owners. My husband and I also ate again right before we left Maryland. We had gluten free oysters Rockefeller and gluten free crab cake sandwich with veggies. Yum!

Germantown, Maryland, United States
“Happy Party of Sixteen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

My sister-in-law and her husband treated the family to dinner at Hellas after their wedding on Valentine's Day. Our party of 16 arrived at 6pm, the heat of the dinner rush on a Friday, holiday evening. We were promptly seated in a semi private area of the restaurant which was nice. The two wait staff were immediately on the scene to take drink and appetizer orders. The appetizers were a bit pricey but large enough to share. The Hellenic Poppers were an instant favorite, lightly battered, fried artichokes and feta cheese with a flavorful pepper aioli dipping sauce. The calamari and ouzo mussels were also very good. The crab soup had lots of crab meat but could have been seasoned better, perhaps with some Old Bay. A variety of main courses were ordered but it took a rather long time for them to be delivered. The restaurant was crowded, so I will cut them some slack on that. My crab cake was large and mostly crab, not filler, but as with the soup, could have used a little more seasoning of Old Bay and lemon. My niece's steak was cooked perfectly medium rare, and the broiled sea food platter, while a bit pricey, was also cooked to perfection. The two Greek dishes were not as exceptional as they were both served with a mushy mixture of tzadziki and tomatoes. Pork chops were large and tender but again, could have used a little more seasoning. All entrees were served with two sides (a lot of choices available from salad, baked, mashed or French fried potatoes, coleslaw, veg of the day, etc.) Many of us had to ask for take home containers as the portions were plentiful. Arrangements had been made for us to all have strawberry cheese cake for dessert by the wedding couple. I took mine to go, but those who ate it there loved it's fresh, sweet taste. All in all, everyone was happy and full by the end of the evening. Service was great and friendly, a bit pricey, but I would return if in the area. Children's menu was available, as well as a lounge area with pool tables. Seemed to me like a place that had something for everyone's taste.

• Visited February 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
“Just awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

I wish I was able to give zero points but it makes me give one. I have been in the business for 30 years and this was the absolute worst experience ever. We waited for the host to pay attention to us which should have been the signal to leave. The server took 10 minutes to even approach our table. Unacceptable!!! Then our food was cold and very bland. Not to mention my medium rare steak was well done. No wonder the food took 35 minutes to come out of the kitchen. We will never ever be back and please be warned away from it!

Glen Burnie, Maryland
“Dinner on a Monday night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

This review covers a first-time, Monday evening visit to Hella's. We walked in around 5 PM and the lobby / hostess area has cushion-covered benches lining the walls. They were empty this evening at this time, but generous waiting seating seemed to be a good sign. :) Our hostess asked if we wanted dining room or lounge, and we chose the dining room.

The dining room has about 20 tables of varying sizes, each covered with a white tablecloth. At the time we entered, only one other table was occupied; by the time we left, there were three other parties that had been seated. We were seated and given menus and told our waiter would be with us shortly. We chose quickly, though there were several tempting choices, so when the waiter arrived and asked if he could start us off with some drinks, we told him we were ready to order. I ordered the pasticcio (which comes with a side salad) and my husband ordered the Chesapeake Smothered Chicken (chicken topped with ham and crab dip) which came with 2 sides. As one of his side choices, he chose the side salad. The waiter went to put the order in, came back with our drinks, then went and got our salads. The salad was nothing remarkable - iceberg lettuce, tomato, onion, pepper - but tasted fine. The bread provided was generous in portion (a small loaf, a little larger than a sub roll) but underwhelming in taste - I can't describe exactly what the issue was, but we left some uneaten, which is EXTREMELY rare for us to do.

The main entrees tasted SUPERB, and were very generous portions. I ended up taking roughly half of my pasticcio home with me. We had heard good things about the desserts and though neither of us felt like we had room for one, we decided to try them anyway. My husband got a piece of baklava and I ordered a piece of Key Lime Pie. Both were very good, but we were past full after a few bites, so we each ended up taking most of our desserts home with us to enjoy later.

Service was good - our plates were cleared shortly after we finished with them; my husband's water was refilled; requests (a different drink order; boxes for the leftover food; a dessert menu)were met promptly.

To sum up - good food, good service, and we would visit again with no hesitation.

Visited January 2014