“Don't miss this Winerey!”

Orchid Cellar Meadery and Winery
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Middletown
More attraction details
Owner description: Maryland's premier meadery and winery specializing in complex honey wines as well as unique red and white varietals. Locally crafted, Internationally awarded.
Frederick, Maryland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Don't miss this Winerey!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Its a Winery because that's how they're licensed but they have wonderful Meads and a good Merlot. First, the Merlot, the best local (MD, VA, PA) Merlot I've tried. Wouldn't hesitate to put it on my table and serve my friends. My 5 friends who were with me all agreed. What makes this place special id the Meads. They are wonderfully done, with complex flavors and great nose. Forget what you may have tried in the past. These are not the sometimes sickly sweet offerings served up in some places. They vary from light almost Chardonnay like to bold liquor like, almost like a B&B with less alcohol. One we tried, Hunter, has a light pepper note. It would be great with Mexican food or BBQ. This was one of three we bought. The tasting room is very nice and well done. They are also building a larger facility separate from the main building which if is as well done as the current tasting room, it will be incredible. The owner are staff are knowledgeable and friendly and very amiable to explaining everything you may want to know about their Meads and wine and to answer any questions. Its only 5 minutes North of Middletown, so its easy to get to. We will be going back. you should go too! There is the typical small tasting fee if you want to taste, but well worth it.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Fred B

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fantastic meads!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

This little meadery makes a number of delicious meads in a variety of interesting flavors. I did a tasting of six of their products (their merlot and five different meads) for $6--they gave me what I thought was a nice selection of different flavors, some of which I may not have otherwise tried, and they were incredibly friendly and did a good job explaining how they make their mead. It's about an hour from the DC area, but it's a straight shot up 270 (I was afraid the meadery would be on a hard-to-find backroad, but the directions were very simple) and it is a gorgeous area. I would highly recommend.

Visited April 2014
5 Thank city_angle
Baltimore, Maryland
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Maryland Mead”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

We like to drink this winery's Mead at the holidays as our dessert wine. We visited them at the Wine Trail Passport weekend. They make some very nice meads, and some have delicious spicy flavors. Our server was very friendly and knowledgeable. They had a very sweet dog there to greet us when we arrived for our tasting. They also let us sample a mead with hops in it, to make a beer like mead. Although I am not much of a beer drinker, I think beer drinkers would enjoy this. Their location is very pretty.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank crisr506
Maryland
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Top Notch Wine Tasting Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Orchid Cellars makes award winning Polish mead - the gold standard of European Meads. The owners, who emigrated from Lodz, Poland to the US, decided to make Polish mead when they settled in Middletown, Maryland. They are committed, talented and know how to delight and entertain. Their meads, best served with dessert or during that long, wonderful part of a dinner when you bring out cheese, fruit and nuts, are amazing and very complex. Tastings cover 4-5 meads for 6.00 and the merlot made by Orchid Cellars is also served. If you are a good guest this generous couple will pull out other meads to try as well - Orchid Cellars makes about 10 different meads ranging from the traditional (honey and lemon) to the unusual (rose petals) to meads that embrace newer tastes (with the kick of hot pepper). Meads were traditionally made by medieval monks and the tradition carries on at Orchid Cellars. You will see a full range of meads made with fruits, spices, honey and flowers.

The Tasting Room is lovely and 6-7 people can sit comfortably at the tasting bar. There are a few tables in the room as well. Outside a lovely patio provides a panoramic view of farms, fields and the Catoctin Mountains. Orchid Cellars is also one of the wineries on the Antietam Trail and there is a lot of history in the area. Don't miss this winery if you are out and about around Frederick.

Visited October 2013