“Overcharged for 1 night. Watch your credit card statements!”

Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
Des Moines, Iowa
“Overcharged for 1 night. Watch your credit card statements!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

I discovered we were billed for an extra night. I spoke with a man at the motel and he said they couldn't go back that far into the system. (I was able to get a copy of the motel I stayed at the next night with no problem) I told him I was in West Virginia that other night. I called the motel in West Virginia and had them email me the bill with dates and time. I called the Quality Inn customer service number and spoke with a lady there and explained the situation. I told her I could prove it. She called the motel at Maryland and said I would get a call the next day. I never received a phone call.

On the positive side, we had never stayed at a Quality Inn and we really liked the breakfast they served.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marjean H
GenManager620, General Manager at Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake, responded to this review, June 13, 2014

Please keep in mind you dicovered this and called the hotel close to a year after your stay with us.

301.387.4200

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Glen Burnie, MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

What a sty! The sheets were clean, but you needed to hang onto the sides of the bed to keep from rolling to the middle of the bed. The tub was so filthy that I ended up taking a washrag bath! The toilet wasn't much better. Wallpaper is peeling off of the walls in the hallways from water damage and then they tried to tape it in place with duct tape! The breakfast area has open wires hanging from the ceiling. I can handle old as long as it is clean and well kept, but this was awful.

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GenManager620, General Manager at Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake, responded to this review, June 11, 2014

301.387.4200

Travelers are raving about these McHenry hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Arrived front desk worker was polite. Saw only 3-4 cars on lot which started to concern me. Was told to go around the side (easier) access upstairs since there is NO elevator.

So open the door and you get smacked in face with a stale punchy odor..... Carpet was from 1970"s no since of security here because there was not one camera in hallway or steps or anything you can walk in any door key or no key. tons of blind spots (I'm military) so a mass murder or serial killer could walk in at any time and hurt you or your family.

It's a sickening feeling, some stuff I don't know if they are compliment with OSHA or Fire code.

Wall paper peeling of the halls and the hallway getting to our room was horrible smelled like a smokers hallway but to get to our room we had to go through all of that.

Ok, so..... Get to door (my room) executive king suit...... Open door..... Little musky like cheap hotel big massive room was like wow lot of room..... However looks are deceiving. Wall paper peeling off and covering holes, no fridge, the table was a 2person table but 1chair! A 19" tv which was black and white no color! 1night stand, tv stand. That's it! The bed (king) had 2 tiny tiny pillows on it.

The walls were horrible either that was painted or it used to be a smokers room converted but there were patch jobs done that was never completed.

I have pictures of all this. Oh yeah NO phone in the room. So I walked to front and what do you know? No one there so I waited and waited for 30mins called the number, etc.

You would think since the could probably throw a rock and hit the ski slopes they would be cleaner, more up to date, etc-etc instead double charge and treat you like second rated .....

I ended up leaving because I was disappointed. I called the trip visor and guess what no refund! Imagine that.... 169.99 plus tax for a king room executive but treated me like scum. And yeah sorry but we got your money so ha ha!!!!!!

How many others????

• Stayed March 2014
8 Thank Fire27medic
GenManager620, General Manager at Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake, responded to this review, March 21, 2014

Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed at this Hotel during MLK Birthday weekend for skiing at wisp. We go to Deep Creek Lake 4-5 times a year. The Hotel looks nice from out side but the room was not at all I expected. Bath tub was dirty, the bedding had holes and burn marks, desk was sticky. heating/cooling system made so much noise and the fan won't stop. when I was taking shower the water was coming down very hot at one point I almost got burned and all of sudden it change to really cold and hot then cold again. they provide continental breakfast, waffle machine was nice but the egg they put out was really rubbery. We just came back from Deep Creek Lake few days ago and just made another plan to go back on Presidents Day weekend but not at the same Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Debbie C
crepy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

reading the above comment, i still made the decision to go for this hotel. it is true that they need to have some improvment like the paperwall , the window repairs, and the clogged WC... bc those were details when we found spacious room, very comfy matress, clean/fresh scent sheets/pillows. spacious bathroom, clean towel(plenty) we rented 2 rooms non smoking... they re doing a good job on that bc, I have a real good nose for smell (am in the food business-) but crossing the smoke zone to go to my non smoke zone was bad... they try to clean the smell but...i do not care bc I do not smoke, and if it does not bother the smokers... why getting a fuss... so, my children (5 boys) loved it... just accross from the ski ressort, 2mn drive with the car or 15 mn walk...
breakfast is served early so, go for the early time... the coffee is still fresh brewed all day...and hot water for tea all day too. do not sleep late or you get no breakfast (only coffee/tea) / staff was ok. (must be there for ever) overral : we had a pleasant stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank marikaCrepy
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Crying for a total update! My family, extended family & many friends stayed here because of my sons wedding the motel did very well that weekend. We made the best of a very bad situation we were all from out of town and didn't know the area. There were six people ranging in age 79 to 86 and there was NO ELEVATORS we were in shock...what a joke!! Very over priced, many of our rooms had something broken and when we asked for it to be fixed they acted as if they were doing us a favor...we were paying for an overpriced room!! I would like to write a letter to the CEO of the Quality Inns because this one should be closed until it is done over! My husband is a Lieutenant for the New York City Fire Department there were many Fire Hazards in this Motel!! Glad nothing happened while we were there!!!! Thank God!

Room Tip: No Good Rooms !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kathleen B
mississmissi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is now a Quality Inn, at least that is what the sign says. I made the reservation for a Tuesday night for a business trip. On Tuesday afternoon, I wanted to change my plans and not stay in the area, however, I found that the reservation had to be cancelled 24 hours in advance. I know that some hotels have this policy, but it is ridiculous and I typically don't stay places where this is the case. I kept my original plan and stayed at the hotel so as not to pay for a room that I didn't stay in. When I arrived, I was told that I was on the third floor and that there is no elevator. This was my third night away for work and I have a huge suitcase. It is not possible for me to carry it upstairs. To the credit of the desk clerk, she gave me a room on what she called the ground floor - it was an upgrade - but she didn't charge me extra. That was where the good things stopped. I still had to drag my suitcase up a half flight of stairs. She didn't bother to tell me that if I had gone outside, I could have come in the front entrance and gotten to my room without going up steps. When I arrived at the room, it was like an icebox. The air conditioner was set at 58 degrees! It was the 11 of June - not very hot outside, but I had to turn the heat on to make the room bearable. After about 2 hours of having the heat turned on to 76 degrees, the room was finally warmed up enough that I could stand it. The very nice flat screen TV was set and mounted so far back into the entertainment center that the only way you could see if was if you were sitting on the bed or the chair. There was no way to see if from the table or desk. I had to fiddle with the curtains several times to get them to cover the window properly. The room didn't appear dirty, but there was something about it that just felt like it wasn't as clean as it could have been, perhaps part of it was the hair that was stuck to the outside of the tub. There was a jacuzzi in the bath, but there was no way I was going to sit in it. The fitness room was okay, but also didn't appear like it was cleaned - there was a dirty towel on the shelf and no wipes or spray to wipe down the machines. The free breakfast was average, but the 'skim milk' tasted like it was whole milk that they had added water to. One sip and I was done. The microwave was unplugged when I went to use it, I had to reach behind the fridge to plug it in and it took several minutes before it would even work. It never did really work properly I have not had any good experiences with lodging in this area. My theory is that there are so many nice resorts that the old rundown hotels only cater to construction workers who don't care about cleanliness or comfort. In the future, I will arrange my trips to this area to ensure that I don't have to stay overnight. $90.00 for this place is way out of line.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank mississmissi
Also consider these accommodations in or near McHenry
The Lodges at Sunset Village
#1 of 3 in Oakland
Yough Valley Motel
Yough Valley Motel
#1 of 1 in Friendsville

Been to Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake? Share your experiences!