“Has an opportunity to be awesome!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake

Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
The Burgh
“Has an opportunity to be awesome!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I would like to first thank the guy at the front desk for giving me a discount on the room. The staff is very professional.

The hotel itself is located in the middle of everything. There are restaurants, shopping, Wisp Ski Resort, Ski Rental (High Mountain Sports), and more all right there.

The lobby is very nice. I rented a delux king room with a hot tub for $150 after tax on Feb 2nd, 2012. The room is excellent. It was clean and there were plenty of amenities. I could careless if it has a flat panel TV or whatever.

The only reason why I didn't give this hotel stay a 5/5 rating is because of the bathroom. Pee stains on toilet. Broken tiles everywhere. Hot tub didn't work and had soap scum and hair floating around the tub. Very unsanitary and ruined the experience. The lot was also not cleared of snow until everyone had left after 1pm!

This place could be amazing, but the bathroom situation was pretty gross. If your there just to ski, it's the perfect place to go. If your looking to hang out in the room, then forget it.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure the hot tub and bathrooms are clean and in working order. Hopefully, you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marco P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Rooms were in definite need of renovations. I would say that the price we paid was overpriced for what we got. The lobby was nice and we did enjoy the options at the complimentary breakfast... they had a lot of options for food. The staff was friendly and helpful. But once we got to the room we were disappointed. The room was in need of dire renovation, especially for the price we paid. We didn't mind that there were no elevators although it was a walk up and down stairs to find the room and then bring our suitcases in from the car. We didn't try the outdoor pool as it was too cold outside. We had been driving cross country all day (and most of the evening) and needed to stop to sleep someplace before continuing our drive again. If we hadn't been so tired and so late, we would have kept driving and stayed someplace else.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you decide to stay!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these McHenry hotels

Goshen, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was satisfied with the room - clean, comfortable beds, functioning bathroom and heater. We arrived after two days of snow and the front steps were not well cleared, which was hard for one of us who has problems walking. They had been cleared once but were slippery and snow covered, and it didn't seem like they used Icemelt or shoveled more than once.

There is no elevator, as others have mentioned, which was very inconvenient. The lobby is between the first and second floors so there are lots of steps.

Also, the breakfast buffet was pretty skimpy. We were there on a Monday morning that was not very busy but they were already out of yogurt and low on fresh fruit. They did have eggs and sausage, but it was just average.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you're choices are sleeping in the car or t Comfort Inn Deep Creek -- then as long as the tempatures stays sbove freezing, sleep in the car. As for their breakfast -- have a protein bar instead -- it's way more hygenic then eating at their hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DominatorDom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Miserable experience. Paid $100 for a night in a room I would expect to see in a $35/night motel. Carpets stained, shower curtain mildewed, no elevator - the lobby was terrific though... it is abundantly clear where they spent their money.

This theme (suck them into staying a night) was consistent with my experience. The gentleman at the front desk (Ray) first told me he had a room for $148, yet when I turned away he 'found' one for $98. They must have a credit card on file to let a room (not uncommon). I verified with Ray that I could pay by different means at check out - he confirmed that I could pay in whichever way was most convenient for me - nothing was going to be posted to the card. Imagine my surprise upon receiving the receipt for what they'd billed that card come the morning. After a short wait, the front desk clerk was able to reverse the charge, but not after it was made clear that one of the two (Ray or this woman) lied to me. She told me that the charge is automatic at around 3 o'clock each morning, and that Ray was at fault. Yet when she was on the phone with her manager, she made no such reference to an automatic charge, saying only that I had decided to pay with a different means after she had checked me out (I told her my room number, had my debit card in hand, and within thirty seconds and no further discussion, was handed a receipt) All of this was said in a hushed voice (I wasn't meant to hear, of course) - it is still unclear to me if she processed the card as I checked out, or if there is an automated system that charges guests. Either way, it chafes to be lied to and hustled, by whomever might be at fault.

The room itself was strange - it indeed had only one bed, yet there was ample room for another queen - this resulted in a large empty space filled only with a hole-filled, dirty, stained expanse of carpet for which I wondered if I paid extra. The deadbolt on the door was newly screwed into a portion of splintered wood indicating that the door had previously been forced open - that splintered wood created a very weak hold on the current deadbolt. Coupled with the lock on the door I spent five minutes struggling with to lock (the trick is to pull up on the handle with all your might while pushing inward), I felt as if my safety that night might be of concern.

And that brings us to the bed. Putting a knee on the edge to crawl in resulted in the opposite end of the bed rising a good two feet. I found a stable position right in the center of the bed, however I was woken several times by the bed attempting to pitch me off because I rolled six inches off center (I'm not particularly large - this was a new phenomenon for me). I was mercifully staying here alone - I couldn't imagine sharing that thing with another person (although I think it would be perfect for any children playing pirate ship).

Good points? Great shower head (I ignored the mildewed curtain), ability to park just underneath your window, free wifi (though not good wifi - it couldn't sustain a FaceTime conversation with my boyfriend), and they do serve breakfast, though I didn't partake.

Any of these elements taken singularly, or even in pairs, would have made my visit adequate. All of them together have resulted a general sensation of displeasure and unrest. I will not be staying here again, nor would I council anyone else to. It is worth paying a little extra for one of the Bed&Breakfasts in the area or driving an extra 15 minutes from Oakland for the activities in the area.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Atanvarde
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Motel was what you would expect from a budget motel continental breakfast was good. No elevators was a detractor especially when you are on 3rd floor. Also rooms were a little muggy for me and shower was not working properly. Other than that got what I paid for, I guess...

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rxman1975
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Booked a last minute short getaway to Deep Creek. Was on a tight budget and the price was much lower than a cabin rental. However, the main lobby and hall way to room reeked of mold.. They must have flooding/moisture problems because I noticed dehumidifiers around. The room itself was adequate. Bathroom was clean. There was work being done on building, so it's not like I'm going to call this place a total neglected dump. Location was central to everything in Deep Creek. However the mold smell to and from the room is not really what I'd call a nice thing..

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank cvp1969
Also consider these accommodations in or near McHenry
The Lodges at Sunset Village
Inn At Deep Creek
#1 of 3 in Oakland
4.0 of 5 stars 266 reviews
Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake? Share your experiences!