“Nice room, not handicapped accessible”

Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was satisfied with the room - clean, comfortable beds, functioning bathroom and heater. We arrived after two days of snow and the front steps were not well cleared, which was hard for one of us who has problems walking. They had been cleared once but were slippery and snow covered, and it didn't seem like they used Icemelt or shoveled more than once.

There is no elevator, as others have mentioned, which was very inconvenient. The lobby is between the first and second floors so there are lots of steps.

Also, the breakfast buffet was pretty skimpy. We were there on a Monday morning that was not very busy but they were already out of yogurt and low on fresh fruit. They did have eggs and sausage, but it was just average.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you're choices are sleeping in the car or t Comfort Inn Deep Creek -- then as long as the tempatures stays sbove freezing, sleep in the car. As for their breakfast -- have a protein bar instead -- it's way more hygenic then eating at their hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DominatorDom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Miserable experience. Paid $100 for a night in a room I would expect to see in a $35/night motel. Carpets stained, shower curtain mildewed, no elevator - the lobby was terrific though... it is abundantly clear where they spent their money.

This theme (suck them into staying a night) was consistent with my experience. The gentleman at the front desk (Ray) first told me he had a room for $148, yet when I turned away he 'found' one for $98. They must have a credit card on file to let a room (not uncommon). I verified with Ray that I could pay by different means at check out - he confirmed that I could pay in whichever way was most convenient for me - nothing was going to be posted to the card. Imagine my surprise upon receiving the receipt for what they'd billed that card come the morning. After a short wait, the front desk clerk was able to reverse the charge, but not after it was made clear that one of the two (Ray or this woman) lied to me. She told me that the charge is automatic at around 3 o'clock each morning, and that Ray was at fault. Yet when she was on the phone with her manager, she made no such reference to an automatic charge, saying only that I had decided to pay with a different means after she had checked me out (I told her my room number, had my debit card in hand, and within thirty seconds and no further discussion, was handed a receipt) All of this was said in a hushed voice (I wasn't meant to hear, of course) - it is still unclear to me if she processed the card as I checked out, or if there is an automated system that charges guests. Either way, it chafes to be lied to and hustled, by whomever might be at fault.

The room itself was strange - it indeed had only one bed, yet there was ample room for another queen - this resulted in a large empty space filled only with a hole-filled, dirty, stained expanse of carpet for which I wondered if I paid extra. The deadbolt on the door was newly screwed into a portion of splintered wood indicating that the door had previously been forced open - that splintered wood created a very weak hold on the current deadbolt. Coupled with the lock on the door I spent five minutes struggling with to lock (the trick is to pull up on the handle with all your might while pushing inward), I felt as if my safety that night might be of concern.

And that brings us to the bed. Putting a knee on the edge to crawl in resulted in the opposite end of the bed rising a good two feet. I found a stable position right in the center of the bed, however I was woken several times by the bed attempting to pitch me off because I rolled six inches off center (I'm not particularly large - this was a new phenomenon for me). I was mercifully staying here alone - I couldn't imagine sharing that thing with another person (although I think it would be perfect for any children playing pirate ship).

Good points? Great shower head (I ignored the mildewed curtain), ability to park just underneath your window, free wifi (though not good wifi - it couldn't sustain a FaceTime conversation with my boyfriend), and they do serve breakfast, though I didn't partake.

Any of these elements taken singularly, or even in pairs, would have made my visit adequate. All of them together have resulted a general sensation of displeasure and unrest. I will not be staying here again, nor would I council anyone else to. It is worth paying a little extra for one of the Bed&Breakfasts in the area or driving an extra 15 minutes from Oakland for the activities in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Atanvarde
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Motel was what you would expect from a budget motel continental breakfast was good. No elevators was a detractor especially when you are on 3rd floor. Also rooms were a little muggy for me and shower was not working properly. Other than that got what I paid for, I guess...

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rxman1975
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Booked a last minute short getaway to Deep Creek. Was on a tight budget and the price was much lower than a cabin rental. However, the main lobby and hall way to room reeked of mold.. They must have flooding/moisture problems because I noticed dehumidifiers around. The room itself was adequate. Bathroom was clean. There was work being done on building, so it's not like I'm going to call this place a total neglected dump. Location was central to everything in Deep Creek. However the mold smell to and from the room is not really what I'd call a nice thing..

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank cvp1969
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I knew I was in in for trouble when I when I recognized “the lamp” from photos that I saw on this site that were taken by another reviewer. Yes, our room smelled like smoke. So much so, that it seemed fresh and stale all at the same time. At times during our stay, we would open the bathroom door and would SEE cigarette smoke. You could cut it with a knife. It was ridiculous, since we were in a non-smoking room! Even the smoke alarm went off at one point. Again- I was in a non-smoking room in the non-smoking wing of the hotel! The air quality in this hotel is extremely poor, and I feel sorry for people that get stuck in the smoking rooms. Apparently those are 10 times worse in smell.

I was here with my family, and I have small children including one that crawls. There was little I can do to keep him off the floor. Thus, his feet and clothing were completely black from crawling on the floor. We didn’t even bother with the continental breakfast. We figured the quality would be horrible compared to everything else. We will never, ever stay here again, and quite frankly I am now leery of this hotel chain. It was such a dump; I am absolutely shocked that it didn’t have bed bugs too. Even after we returned home, my husband and children now have a hacking, dry cough, which I attribute to the poor air quality from this establishment. Do yourself a favor and find someplace else to stay in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank redd631
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The hotel has large rooms and were clean. but tv old ,had a blue plastic bottle shoved up in the curtain area, toilet seat was loose, windows (exterior) our room all hallways just filthy which gives a bad impression off the bat. The carpets in hall stairways could use cleaning. The pool area had a junction box cover missing exposing electrical wires at the building. Continental breakfast was good. There is alot of work being done, the lobby area is newly remodeled and work is being done to the outside of the building it just needs more attention to detail for the money. I feel there are better choices and would look elsewhere, but it may improve once all the work is completed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Don H
Also consider these accommodations in or near McHenry
1 mi away
#1 of 1 in Friendsville
Oakland Motel
Oakland Motel
#3 of 3 in Oakland

Been to Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake? Share your experiences!