“No comfort in Comfort Inn” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake

Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
Ohio
“No comfort in Comfort Inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I checked in but didn't stay after trying out two rooms on opposite ends of the hotel. Both were reached after going through hallways that were smoke laiden. Both were odorous from stale smoke and/or smoke from other rooms seeping in. The second room was directly across from a room with some odd electrical contraption under the door covered with a towel and a heavy electrical cord ran to it down the entire hallway from another hallway. (I still want to know what that was.)

The room was in poor shape with peeling wallpaper, water stains on the ceiling, poor quality linens, curtains in addition to the bad air quality (stale and smokey). After less than an hour in the second room I checked out. The hotel clerk offered to move me to a third room, back on the same end as the first room and I declined stating that someone in the room on the floor below was smoking at the window with the window open, so what good would that do to move back to the other smokey wing? He charged my credit card even though I didn't stay due to poor air quality (I would have tolerated poor condition of the room for the night otherwise).

On another note, I was told that there were no rooms available on the first two floors and there was no elevator. After trudging up to the fourth floor then, down to the third floor and through the maze to another wing only to find that room as bad as the first I wasn't ready to venture to third room.

The hotel was advertised to be changing to Quality Inn in Aug 2012 but that had not happened by the last week of Aug. when I was there.

Room Tip: No elevator in this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank smartbiztravlr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Hurlock, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We've stayed here quite a few times and have always enjoyed it. Every time we visit the area, we stay in this hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean and the staff is pleasant and friendly. And, the best part is, you can't beat the price!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Amherst, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night, 07/18/12, while in the area on business. There are not a lot of options when it comes to hotels in this area. The hotel, at first glance seems rather nice. After a closer look you can see that things are run down and out of date. Check in was smooth, with no issues, as well as check out, although impersonal. The room was at the extreme end of the hotel. I had to go through a smoking section, through a set of doors, then around the ice machine that made the hallway 100 degrees or so, down the hall, around a bend to the right then left to a little alcove with 2 rooms. My room was on the right.
As I said before, everything looked OK at first, but then I noticed the peeling wallpaper, dirty toilet, dirty bathroom floor, security lock that had been ripped from the door, sagging bed and threadbare sheets. Overall it was OK, but I next time I'm in the area I'm going to try to find another hotel. I was glad to check out of here.

Room Tip: I hope you don't get the room thats 1/2 mile from where they tell you to park.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Brian B
Upper Sandusky, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Using my rewards points, I reserved a King room with Jacuzzi. It was a nice, big room. The room was clean and appealing. The lobby is very attractive. They have the typical Comfort Inn breakfast which is nice, though not great. The pool was small, but nice and felt great after hiking at some of the local attractions. We enjoyed our short stay and wished we had time to stick around a little longer. Overall very nice. I would definitely go back.

2 Thank St_Nick61
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

This place was just dirty. Floors in breakfast area were dirty and unswept. Carpets were dirty stained. Lock on our door didn't work. After first night. There were clean folded sheets on the floor outside our door. When we came back,I Bed was made ,sheets gone. Hope those sheets weren't on the bed. Generally the place was just dirty windows, hallways, lobby. Can't believe. It's even a one star and we paid over 100.00 per night. Ugh!!!

3 Thank Lscott33804

Travelers are raving about these McHenry hotels

Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have stayed at the Comfort Inn at Deep Creek Lake in the past and I was once again pleased with my visit & will stay there again in the future. The rooms are spacious and the staff is very friendly. True, there is not an elevator but at check in I was advised where the best location to park for my room was and it offered very easy access. The pool area is great and each time I have stayed at the hotel I have noticed additional improvements/renovations that have taken place. The Comfort Inn offers free breakfast like most of the Choice hotels but the breakfast options are pretty extensive & satisfied the picky eaters that visited with us. We were visiting Deep Creek for the 4th of July and you can view the fireworks that are set off at Wisp in the Comfort Inn parking lot. This offered a great view of the fireworks without having to sit in traffic to get back to our hotel. The hotel is pretty centrally located right off of 219. Deep Creek Lake is just a short drive up the street along with Wisp & there are plenty of restaurants in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank annael_m
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We (my wife and I) stayed at this property for a couple of nights in early July. After reading many of the reviews and being very well experienced with the Choice Hotels brands (Comfort Inn, Econo Lodge, etc...) we pretty much knew what to expect. Yes, the hotel does not have an elevator in it, which makes hauling your luggage a bit of a challenge. But for $80 a night for the fourth of July holiday, we gladly dealt with this. The front desk office staff were very helpful with any needs we had. The hotel is also in a prime location to watch the fireworks (we saw them while standing right in the hotel parking lot) as well as very close to all the shops, restaurants and entertainment the area has to offer! Definitley would stay here again if we return to Deep Creek Lake.

Room Tip: If you're a couple looking for a really nice room, try to get the non-smoking king size room on...
1 Thank Andrew H
Also consider these accommodations in or near McHenry
The Lodges at Sunset Village
Inn At Deep Creek
#1 of 3 in Oakland
4.0 of 5 stars 268 reviews
Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake? Share your experiences!