“Absolute Dump!”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
Dumfries, Virginia, United States
“Absolute Dump!”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed at this property Saturday night (05-19-2012) for one night. The hotel is in desperate need of maintenance. From visible mold on the walls and ceiling of the bathroom, to stained lamp shades, broken sidewalks, exposed electrical wires, damaged room lamps, moldy, and dirty windows,torn desk chairs,etc. The place looks like an absolute dump. I paid 102/night for this property, and in my opinion its not worth more than about 40 a night in its present condition.

Room Tip: I dont know what the other rooms were like but this one was horrible!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Brian B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Very rude Front Desk Agents! I was checked in by an older lady in the afternoon who was professional, but unfriendly. No smile--I had to introduce myself and say "Good Afternoon, I'm checking in!" Then she told me to "Hold on, I'll be right with you..." The Lobby was empty and the phone wasn't ringing; there was one other car in the parking lot. She finally gave me the worst room, RM 101, not knowing that I was once a Front Desk Manager and the 101s, 201s etc.. are always the undesirables.
Upon checkout (they want you out early: 11am!) I called to ask for a later one. The surly agent on the phone said, "The latest I can give you is 11:30...um 12:00 at the very latest."
When I checked out I was once again faced with dead silence. But this time the young lady looked angry and was not happy to see me. I said, "I'm checking out of Rm 101." I tried to make conversation by asking her if they were full that night (because if they are as slow as the day before, there is no reason why I couldn't get a later checkout). I've NEVER heard of an 11am checkout time in any hotel! I came here to look at the Vacation Houses for a family vacation next month. I'm so glad that I will be in the Village Condo behind this crappy hotel when I come back to Deep Creek Lake. This hotel should be bought quickly by Hilton or Marriott to fix the problem.

Room Tip: Rent a Vacation House from Long and Foster! It's worth spending a little more than dealing with...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Allan T

Travelers are raving about these McHenry hotels

Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed at the Deep Creek Lake Comfort Inn for one evening while taking a quick trip to the DCL area with the kids to check out the area. There are very few hotels in DCL, with pretty much just the Comfort Inn and the Wisp Resort as the only choices, other than the large number of rental vacation homes. The lobby area is pretty nice, and in good shape. There's not a lot of seating in the breakfast area. One thing that surprised me is that this hotel apparently does NOT have any elevators. Maybe we missed them, but they were not to be found anywhere that we looked. We didn't have a lot of luggage, but for folks who stay for several days could have issues with lugging suitcases up and down the stairs. The room that we stayed in was, I believe, the only "suite" with a separate bedroom. It had three queen sized beds in it. The room, while fairly clean, was sorely in need of updating. The knob to the separate bedroom was broked - no latch. The cover to the lighting fixture in the bathroom was askew and needed to be replaced. The knob to the bathroom was loose and falling off. The hotel does not have speed checkout through the television. The breakfast was perfectly fine, and in line with what I've come to expect from complimentary breakfasts for a hotel of this caliber, i.e., mostly continental items with one or two hot items (in this case, sausage patties and eggs). My expectations were modest, and this hotel met those expectations. It's a clean hotel that needs some renovation, which will hopefully come when this hotel switches over to a Quality Inn (also owned by Choice Hotels) in August 2012.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TravellerMD68
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We reserve a hotel room at Deep Creek 2-3 times per year. Typically we stay at another hotel close to this one. We have previously steered clear of this place due to the low ratings on this site but due to the fact our typical place would not allow a 1 night reservation over president's day weekend, frustrated, we decided to try the Comfort Inn. I can say that we were pleasantly surprised. My demands for a hotel are that they have the basic amenities and be CLEAN! Our room (double queen, non-smoking) was clean and nice and spacious. Maybe we got lucky, but I cannot understand the negative reviews. The stay includes a hot breakfast. It was okay. Waffle maker, sausage patty and eggs for a breakfast sandwich, a couple choices for pastries, cereal, coffee (available all day) and juice. The only thing that was lacking was a refrigerator in our room and microwave. There was one of each available in the lobby however, there was definitely room available for it in the room. Considering what we saved with rate and the free breakfast I think we have found our new hotel in Deep Creek.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FunInTheSun246
Delaware
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We spent the night in Deep Creek Lake when traveling from West Virginia to Delaware. There are not many hotels in the area, mostly rental homes, therefore choices are limited. We checked in around 9pm with a not so friendly front desk person (not rude, just apathetic). I requested a room with a jacuzzi tub (which turned out to be a jetted tub), however there was soap scum throughout the tub and was too gross to sit in which was very unfortunate since I paid more for that room. There was also mildew in the window. They do offer a continental breakfast but the "make your own waffles" tasted like the flour was rancid. We paid $120 something for the night which was tremendously overpriced for the lodging offered. In comparison, we paid $69 the following night at the Comfort Inn and Suites in Gettysburg, PA and were greeted by 2 very friendly and helpful front desk staff. The room was large and clean and we were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jfr4570
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The room was extremely moist...towel on floor when stepped on became WET! they had no other rooms... bathroom, though looked clean, smelled like urine.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank 2fineboys
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I brought my friends up here for the New Years Gala at Wisp Mountain. They stayed at this hotel. It was awful. From the time we all walked in the lobby until they checked out (2 days early I might add) the smell of the mildew was everywhere. And the decor is bad and outdated. The hotel is in serious need of repair. The rooms are outdated. Mattress they said were terribly uncomfortable offering no support at all. Cheap stuff in bathrooms. Bathrooms weren't nice. And for the price they expected more. It's just not a very nice place to stay. You can do better by going just a little ways down the road.

Although I didn't sleep at the hotel, I met them there each morning and throughout the day and in the evenings. I felt bad that I had given them as a place to stay. I should have checked it out first. They would have been better off to pay more and to to Wisp.
There is no restaurant or any food at all n this hotel. And nothing close by except to drive. Thank god Perkins is just up the road for breakfast and coffee. And Canoe on the Run.

I will say the front desk staff people were super nice. The maids were all nice. No issue with the staff at all. The owner needs to invest some money in this place, great location, and fix it up/modernize it and make it nice for people to stay here. It's a good location and close to everything at that end of the lake, and the Ski area.

Room Tip: There is no best room. The best room is in another hotel down the road.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank LadyAboutTown
Also consider these accommodations in or near McHenry
The Lodges at Sunset Village
#1 of 3 in Oakland
Yough Valley Motel
Yough Valley Motel
#1 of 1 in Friendsville

Been to Quality Inn Deep Creek Lake? Share your experiences!