“Overkill”
Review of Wisp Resort

Wisp Resort
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Our getaway turned bad 4hrs into our stay when we found our room key deactivated. We got a new key and proceeded to our room when a pound came on the door and we were instructed by maintenance to go to the desk where we were met by 2 security guards. The facility is a no smoking facility and we unknowingly had smoked in our room! They actually called the manager at home. We were fined a hefty fine and were threatened to be removed from the property instead of kindly reminding us or making us aware upon check in of the policy. The management hassled other people in our party as well. I would not recommend this resort... Management makes ski- mountains out of molehills!

1  Thank verfully

Reviewed November 21, 2010

I am a local. That means I avoid most places in Deep Creek when crowded and this includes WISP. My typical ski "trip" is to go first thing in the morning on weekdays and ski until tired, the snow is skied-off, or the lines get too long. (For me, a line is too long if I have to wait more than a minute or so.)

That said, I like WISP. It is convenient and reasonably priced (I am over 65 and buy a season ticket, so it is very reasonable!). I like to ski the "back side" or Main Street since those areas tend to have fewer skiers. Most trails, even black diamonds, are intermediate at best (worst?) -- on occasion, they allow moguls to build and then you have some actual expert slopes albeit without much vertical. Grooming is usually excellent. Snow making equipment is excellent (although last year we had over 260 inches of natural snow!).

Food in the lodge is very good and reasonably priced. If you have a season ticket, you get 10% discounts, too. Restrooms are clean.

Equipment rental is pretty good (I only see this for guests, but it seems to be about as efficient as it could be). You can get high-end equipment from the ski shop or there is a separate rental place. The ski shop is very good and they can tune your skis overnight.

In addition to skiing, WISP has a mountain coaster that operates year-round. There is a tubing area that is fun but often very busy (this is the one place I go to on weekends -- during the week, I suspect it is not nearly as crowded). Other summer activities include a wire-and-pulley "ride," paintball, mountain biking, golf, etc.

Reviewed August 15, 2010

Our family usually stays at Peak 'n Peek for our annual ski trip. However, this year we tried Wisp and found it really caters to children's winter activities. In addition to skiing/boarding, they offer the mountain coaster (no line early Sunday morning and be sure to get the 3-pack they offer for tix!), ice skating, tubing, indoor swimming, snowshoeing, snowmobiles (both jr. size and adult), and an arcade room. (The Bear Claw Combo gives you tix for coaster, tubing, and ice skating and is a good deal.) They didn't run the jr. size snowmobiles the day we wanted to ride, so we ended up with my son and husband riding on an adult one together. A little more expensive, but lots of fun! We stayed overnight at Wisp and our son didn't stop moving from one thing to the next the entire time we were there! He had a ball!

I wouldn't recommend staying at the Wisp Resort hotel. The desk personnel are not personable, plus, it is expensive for what you get. The rooms are old, seem dirty due to overuse, and are not very inviting. Also, eating at Wisp something of a letdown as well. However, we were lucky enough to find out about Smiley's Funzone which is about 5 minutes down the road from Wisp and went there for our dinner. It's a great atmosphere for families with young children as it offers video machines, laser tag, old-time photos, and they also have outdoor amusements in the summer (bumper boats, mini golf, etc.) but of course we didn't see those. Dinner was typical Chuck E. Cheese fare, but at least it was fun to be there and we had great service! Also, for breakfast the next morning, we went a little past the Smiley's and tried the Perkins, which again gave great service and a good family atmosphere!

So advice on Wisp is use it for the fun activities, but do your sleeping and your eating elsewhere! There are plenty of options available!

1  Thank Paddington6
Reviewed March 21, 2010

OH man compared to my homecountry this ski resort tops out!!!! i came here in March 19-21 2010 it was mildly hot outside but i was skiing!!! the slopes r amazing nearly all of them were opened, it only takes an hour and half to learn i took the group lesson which at first i though illl be stuck with little kids but no it was a mix with kids and adults!!! the lesson doesnt feel like a group because the teacher breaks the anxiety and makes skiing fun and easy.....the little kids kinda gave up after 30 mins so it was more one on one with the teacher!!! renting the gear is easy and people r very helpful...weekends get crowded especially the parking lot but there r people to direct the cars!!! i didnt try the restaurants but there was a band playing at the time.. i will definetly come back... off season is cheaper than peak season but u get the same fun and joy!!!

Reviewed November 17, 2009

We have been traveling to Wisp and Deep Creek Lake for years, and we would live there year round if we could. The kids love it, there are a half-dozen state parks within 15 minute drive for hiking, boating, fishing and swimming. Wisp has invested heavily in year-round activities like the mountain coaster, mountain biking, man-made whitewater rapids, and two golf courses. It's the perfect vacation spot. Here's a link to our favorite rental property while we're there. It's a beautiful ski in/ski out townhome right on an Intermedaite trail at Wisp. Thirty steps from the front door to the slopes. In the summer, it's a quiet, cool restful spot, with the mountain as your playground. http://www.deepcreekvacations.com/rental/house.html?ID=80&User=alpha

1  Thank DCLDad