“B&B with a bonus”
Review of Streams and Dreams

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McHenry
Streams and Dreams
Ranked #2 of 2 McHenry B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 5, 2013

You can't find more welcoming B&B hosts than Don and Karen. Only needing a quiet place to spend the night at the last minute while on a lengthy car trip, we came upon this sweet, tucked away location. The "Brown room" gave us the pleasure of falling asleep next to a charming little fireplace while listening to the sound of falling water outside our window. We also enjoyed great conversation in their homey living room and a brief complimentary fly fishing lesson. Don's impressive knowledge of fisheries biology and local ecology will bring us back soon.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I had the pleasure of a casting lesson with Don last weekend. I had never handled a fly rod before the lesson, and I have fished with a spin rod only a handful of times in my life. At the conclusion of my lesson with Don, I was casting effectively on his trout pond. Perhaps more importantly, Don's systematic and patient instruction also teaches why certain motions produce an accurate cast, whereas other motions impair accuracy. In addition to enjoying the learning experience, I also enjoyed simply spending a few hours on the beautiful property. Thanks, Don!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I recently stopped by Streams and Dreams and was pleasantly surprised by the property and Don and Karen's offering/amenities. Nestled by a wonderful stream, the lodge is quite nice and comfortable. And if you want to learn a lot about fishing or want to get some tune up on your techniques, Don is the man. He's is extremely knowledgeable about the local fishing and his skills are backed up by years of experience both as an expert himself, but also as a seasoned teacher. His aquatic ecology degree adds an additional layer of expertise!

Thanks, Don!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was my second time up at Deep Creek. I knew I wanted to go kayaking, fishing, hiking, and try white water rafting. I initially was looking for just a hotel/motel but decided after my outings or during a rain day that I wanted more than just four walls and a bed. Web surfed to Streams and Dreams and decided to give it a try. Don gave a tour of the property with Hoyes Run outside our front door. After exploring the trout pools and hearing Don talk all things trout; decided to take fly fishing lessons. He also walked us down the short path to the Yough. It's incredible seeing the difference when they are discharging for hydro-power. Spent an afternoon riding the Wisp (15 min away) mountain coaster, running the zip-line course, and trying not to fall off the elevated obstacle course. River's Rest was more room than we needed, comfortable and plenty of plates, utensils, pots, and pans. Don wasn't kidding when he says the wood burning stove cranks out heat - got way too hot, regular heating was fine - try it again in the middle of winter?. Enjoyed my morning coffee sitting on the front porch listening to the water, watching the birds come and go, and taking in the different forest/flower scents. Saw two deer at the crab apple tree one night. Haven't seen the beaver yet. Don and Karen are great information sources on the Swallow Falls hiking trails and kayaking (and fishing) on Deep Creek Lake, Savage River Reservoir, river and forest ecology or just great general conversation. Don gave me the itch to try ice fishing this coming winter plus they have a nice hill with my sled's name on it. May also try Wisp skiing. - I'll be back but I have to practice my fly casting so I don't continue to embarrass the master.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Happened upon Streams & Dreams while exploring Deep Creek and Swallow Falls. Karen & Don are so welcoming and knowledgeable about the Youghiogheny watershed's ecology, fly fishing, all manner of trout, wonderful off the beaten path glens, streams, reading perches, sunset vistas. Don walked us down to the Yough river to show us where to watch for hawks, eagles and osprey - we saw a beautiful Red Hawk plunge from the sky to grab a vole the first minutes of our walk. Their property is 10 minutes from Deep Creek and Swallow Falls - on the more beautiful and undeveloped side west of Deep Creek. We weren't even B&B guests and when Don understood we had to go to the grocery to buy salad for lunch, he walked us down to a stream to pick the most delicious watercress. I imagine Don would be a fantastic tour guide.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to visit Streams and Dreams and discuss with Don the trout fishing conditions on the upper Youghiogheny River. He is quite knowlegable of aquatic ecology and fishery resources and conveyed to me a wealth of information pertinent to fly fishing the Yough. Additionally, he was kind enough to give me some very helpful instruction on fly casting tecniques. He led me down a path behind his house to his secluded and private trout pond. There he critiqued my casting and gave me helpful hints on how to improve my fly presentation. Don has a way of simplifying what appears to be complicated. I am very appreciative of his help and look forward to utilizing the tecniques and concepts he imparted.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Troutbum68
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My family and I met Don while on a failed trip to kayak and fish. We were very lucky to have run into him as we would have had quite an epic without his expert advice. Once he realized our plan would not work out, he graciously offered a fly fishing lesson on his property. He was able to show us many excellent tricks for casting and presentation. You would have to be pretty good to not find something useful from his advice. I kept hearing my self go "Oh yea" and "Ah ha". His on stream advice is equally as great. On top of the excellent instruction, the amazingly beautiful location, how close it is to major metropolitan areas, he has a pond with Brook Trout on his property. For me it was amazing to see his Brook Trout in his little pond. That is my favorite trout, they are the most beautiful to me and it was such a joy to show them to my family with Don. What a treat. The Youghiogheny River is a world class fishing destination and their B and B is right beside it.

Room Tip: Any room would be great, it's in such a quite little spot. No busy roads. Unless you're bo...