“Average place with stellar location”
Review of The Lodge at Wisp

The Lodge at Wisp
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Just an average type hotel with no free breakfast. There is alot to do at the resport though. It reminded me of Seven Springs resort. The mountain coaster was awesome. Rooms were a bit old school for the price.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lori_burk

Reviewed August 2, 2009

We spent 2 nights in the Wisp Hotel (Tower section) on a 3 day trip. We went largely to use the ASCI whitewater park at the top of the mountain and chose to stay in the Hotel since it was convenient. Despite reading many prior negative reviews, I was very satisfied with the hotel and would definitely go back. I specifically asked for a "recently renovated" floor and we had a very nice suite with 2 rooms and one bathroom. The room was very clean and the carpeting/furniture basically brand new. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room rate with AAA was only about $116/night which I thought was a great deal. We ate twice at the on-site restaurant where the food was very good. Our kids liked the pool which I thought was fine. The resort itself was very nice. We enjoyed the concert on Wednesday night, the mountain coasters, and just walking around. Unfortunately it rained 2 other days so we didn't get to do many of the other things available (golf, segways, mountain biking). Overall I thought the hotel was great and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Wyomissing_PAFrank
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed on one of the recently renovated rooms at the Wisp Resort and the rooms and service were wonderful. The beds were so comfortable and our room had 2 flatscreen TV and a nice seating area. The restaurant DCs wasn't very good but the bartenders were some of the best I have ever experienced. And the woman at the front desk were very helpful and really nice.

1  Thank 212121ArlingtonVa
Reviewed May 27, 2009

So we went for a 3 day mid-week get a way just the two of us. To start the directions on the site skip a road so you end up driving way past where you need to be. There is no navigation available on your phones in the lake area. Once we called and got the real directions, there were no signs when we pulled in so we didn't know where the actual hotel was. The building looks like a tall warehouse so you don't automatically know that it is the hotel.

We dragged our bags up the stairs into the lobby. It smelled kind of funny and was just average to boring. The receptionist didn't seem to know a lot about the area or what was open. The elevators were really slow.

The worst part about the hotel was the design of the rooms. They are horribly laid out. There is a long DARK hallway that leads to a tiny front room with a pull down bed (by the way you have to move the furniture out of the way to pull down the massive ugly bed. Then there is a tiny bedroom with an old TV from the 1980s. The phone is in the long dark hallway on a little stand that comes up to your shins with no chair near it so you have to scoot down in a squat to use it. There is also a really silly tiny fridge in the wall of the hallway. The bathrooms are very outdated and ugly. They were pretty clean though. The towels were heavy and nice. There was a water pressure problem with the showers, sinks and toilets (not enough). We HATED the drop down ceilings (they are everywhere in the hotel). You feel like you are in a cave.

Our view was the golf course which was actually pretty nice. I would imagine that if you golf it would be a good place because it is pretty outside of the hotel.

The airconditioning did work but it is very loud and you are so happy when it stops because noise is not normal fan like but more like a dirt bike. There is NO wifi in the hotel. They have a "internet center" with 2 computers that you have to pay to use!! There was no room service or anything, no beverages in the lobby, no coffee available or anything. We just went out for breakfast which was fine to us.

The "fitness center" is waaaaaaaaay outdated (probably why there are not pictures). The pool is warm but vacant and old. The hot tub has been closed since 2008 because it doesn't meet the standard for code. The spa is cuter than we expected. The massages are pretty good. Not the best.

The restaurant nextdoor is good. The food was decent and reasonably priced. The people were friendly there and helpful too.

The ski mountain is beautiful. The area is really pretty in general. We should have just gone to a regular hotel though. This was NOT a resort. It is less than a super 8 in my opinion. The only thing it has going for it is that it is in a pretty place.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank marylandvacationer2
Reviewed April 12, 2009

So we wanted to get away for the Easter weekend, and found that the Wisp would extend its Winter season until the Easter weekend - wheather permitting. We took the opportunity and book an extended weekend at the Wisp Resort hotel, hoping that we might catch a few hours of snow-fun while being there. Once we arrived, it was clear that there was little or no snow, but there was plenty of nice things around, so weren't too disappointed. We had our 4 year old daughter with us, and decided to go to the Egg hunt on Easter. When asking the front-desk, they indicated that the Egg hunt was up the mountain, and that we could either take the chair lift or take the car up. We tried to find the lifts, but didn't found it open, so decided to use our car and go up ourself. We had great difficulties finding the place, and drove around for some time but didn't find anything resembling an Egg Hunt. We finally decided the go back to the hotel, with a very disappointed 4-year old who looked forward meeting the Easter Bunny. When arriving at the hotel again, we saw that the Egg Hunt was actually happening in the front-lawn accross the check-in - we jumped out of the car, and managed to get one last egg.

In short, there's nothing charming about this hotel, it has the basics for people looking for a convenient accomodation next to a ski-slope. The front-desk was barely interested in their guests, let alone friendly or willing to make this an enjoyable expierence.

We definitly enjoyed the Deep Creek Lake scenery, but won't be returning to this resort.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank LittleLLG
Reviewed March 3, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Wisp resort recently for a long weekend. We made our reservations over the phone for two nights - but on Saturday morning (the day after our arrival) they asked us if we were checking out. We thought this was bizarre - they knew we had just arrived the previous night after a long car ride. For about 2 hours we were basically packing up our car thinking our weekend was ruined before they called and offered to move us to another room, since the one we were in had been booked. We were kept up on both nights because you can hear every door slam and drunken conversation through the paper-thin walls and doors. We had a couple of beers at the bar and it tasted like the lines hadn't been cleaned in ages (the Guinness actually smelled like spoiled milk) and their overly-ambitious restaurant menu (why don't they just stick to the basics...) is beyond the capabilities of their kitchen. My recommendation - for the price you'd be better off renting one of the nearby cabins. Unless you're part of a high-school field trip or something....

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank matt2001
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Where to start? We wanted to get away for a ski day and decided to try Wisp for a change. We wanted to have a fun day of skiing, enjoy a good dinner and have a few night caps to end our night (sounds pretty normal right?) We originally booked the Comfort Inn which is literally 500 feet from the resort entrance because Wisp had a two night minimum. We were able to book a single night thru hotels.com so we decided to spend the extra $50 for the convenience of staying at the "Resort" I use the word "Resort" very loosely...there is NOTHING resort like about this hotel.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a front desk attendant with zero personality...I don't think the lady smiled once during our check in! She did her job fairly efficiently, gave us our room keys and told us to get to our room we should go out the front doors thru the side doors, up a half flight of stairs (in a stairwell) and down the hall to the right. We followed her instructions an ended up basically circling back the lobby!!! Our room was at the end of the hall and we could have walked 30 feet the other direction from the front desk and gotten there!!! Ok...no big deal...we had a chuckle and then we opened the door. The $169 dollar a night room was basically...basic. The beds were hard and the pillows were lumpy and flat. The TV was a 17" tube and the decor felt like I stepped back in time 20 years. At first glance the room appeared clean but don't look up! The vent in the bathroom was caked with dust and the "ceiling tiles" had water leak spots all over them! The hallway was a more of a runway...with kids stomping up and down all day long, slamming doors and yelling to their friends. The only good part about the room was that the exit to the mountain was right around the corner...very convenient.
The skiing was good for beginner and intermediate level skiers, well groomed slopes, and we enjoyed our afternoon of skiing very much. The main lift line was a little slow but the other lifts moved along smoothly.
After skiing we went back to our rooms, showered, and headed off to what we expected to be a nice dinner and drink kind of evening.
The restaurants visual appeal was exactly what you would expect for a basic ski resort... rustic lodge type furniture, ski and golf themed accessories , good atmosphere. We were seated promptly and then... we waited. The restaurant did not appear busy and there appeared to be more than enough staff. It took between five and ten minutes before anyone came over to introduce themselves and take a drink order...the server did not even know what beers were on tap (there were four!!!) It took another five minutes to have our water glasses filled...five more minutes to receive our drink order and about twenty minute into this we were finally able to place our food order. We ordered two apps, two dinner salads and the soup of the day (she had to think about what the soup of the day was), which was actually pretty good, the scallops were tasty and the muscles sauce was great...but...five of our muscles were dead and unopened (it was an order of twenty five...yes, I counted...sad, I know, but it was 20% of our order!) We asked for bread to dip in the sauce (every other table already had bread mind you) the server brought over a small basket of bread...it was stale ;( It took another fifteen minutes for our dinner salads to arrive...we were told the chicken had taken a bit longer to cook...but it was cold?!?! All in all the server kept a decent attitude but was really clueless and, other than the apps and soup, the food was so so.
After dinner we walked thru the college cafeteria style dinning hall to the Whispers bar for a night cap. The bar was filthy with food, trash, and pop corn all over the the floor, chairs strewn all over the place and dirty table tops full of empty cups and bottles. There were three bartenders and maybe a dozen customers...not busy at all. I walked to the bar where one of the bar tenders was closing a customers tab. The other two had their back to the bar and appeared to be counting out tips. I waited patiently for the young lady to finish her transaction and when she did she turned away from me and started talking to one of the food runners from the restuarant!!! I looked at them both with a puzzled look and they, reluctantly, stopped their conversation and asked what i needed. I politely said "can I get two Miller Lites please?" She turned away and started pouring from the tap. One of the other bartenders started to ask her a question and she rudely/sarcastically yelled out "wait....I have to get two Miller Lites right now!" She then mumbled to her that she "had been there since noon and she had to deal with "a**holes" all day long." Sorry I asked her to do her job and take thirty seconds to pour a beer! I can't believe I actually left her a tip! I sat down with our beers and we were watching one of the several tv's in the bar when the food runner came back to finish her conversation. All three bartenders, the food runner and a bar patron (who was definitely a friend of theirs) starting talking very loudly about how rude I was and "I need two miller lites" became their rallying cry...I'm sitting twenty feet away and could clearly hear every word!!! The patron then said she was going to the Restuarant bar to tell someone else about me..."they would get a kick out out of this" Needless to say I felt very singled out, personally attacked and could not believe anyone would be treated like this and couldn't believe and entire bar staff could be so unprofessional about my request to be treated like a normal customer!!! We quickly left the bar and requested to speak with the bar manager. Patti, the food services manager was quickly located (by a cleaning staff member) and she was very helpful, listened to my concerns and offered to comp a round of drinks at the restaurant bar (which I wasn't really looking for) To top our evening off...as we were finishing our drinks two of the three bartenders from the Whispers bar came to the restaurant bar and sat right behind us!!! Awkward! What "RESORT" lets their employees drink at the bar??? All in all, the "service" from just about every member of the wisp staff was below poor and I don't think a single person smiled or said hello to us the entire two days we were there. I will NEVER stay here again nor will I EVER recommend this to anyone I know and I will go out of my way to share this experience anytime I ever hear the word "wisp" spoken! STAY AT THE COMFORT INN!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SCTraveler9
Also consider these accommodations in or near McHenry
The Lodges at Sunset Village
#1 of 2 in McHenry
Yough Valley Motel
Yough Valley Motel
#1 of 1 in Friendsville

Been to The Lodge at Wisp? Share your experiences!