“Smelly weekend”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Smelly weekend”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was very disappointed in our stay this past weekend. I paid $134/night for a room with a queen bed and a couch. Upon entering the room there is an overwhelming smell of must and/or mold. I figured it may have been because the air conditioner was not on and that the room just needed aired out. I unpacked and didn't want to complain. The bathroom smell was even worse. It smelled horribly of a dirty towel that had been left in the dryer but not turned on. I overlooked it until a friend stopped by to pick us up for dinner and then commented about it. I was embarrassed. The bed sheets did not stay on the mattress at all. I asked for the bed to be changed on the second day thinking it was just that set of sheets. Nope, happened the last night of our stay as well. The comforters are old and stained, and the pillows (only given 2) were HORRIBLY distorted and uncomfortable. When I told the front desk about the smell and visible mold on the ceiling, they refunded me $30. I usually do not complain. This is actually my first review, but I feel I paid way over what I should have for my stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank AJO2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed over for the weekend with our 2 children. The resort was clean and seemed well attended to. We purchased adventure passes for the four of us which included disc golf, laser tag, mountain coaster and ski lift ride, and a high ropes course..it was a weekend of fun for the family. We will definitely come back to visit again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank 2013miller
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I splurged recently with a 1 night stay in a King Suite. A very nice 2 room suite, that appeared to have been recently refurbished. The bathroom, while on the small side had really nice tile, towels and fixtures. A few little things could make the suite better. The sheets on the bed seemed thin and not very high quality for the price we paid for the suite. One of the lamps in the sitting room was missing a light bulb, and only 1 side of the bed had a nightstand with lamp. The hotel staff were pleasant and the grounds of the hotel are really well maintained and lovely. We ate breakfast and a lunch at the restuarant on site, but the food was pretty average. The turkey sandwich on a pretzle roll sounded good, but the roll felt and tasted like it had been in the freezer. Many other nearby restaurants to choose from.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lindy123
Pasadena, Maryland
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in July 2013. Our room badly needed to be updated. There were water stains on the ceiling in the bathroom. It was comfortable enough and appeared to be clean. The beds were okay. We had to turn the aid conditioning down to 64 degrees to get the room cool enough. It was very quiet with very little outside noise. I would say this hotel is an okay place to stay; however, I would not pay more than the $104.00 per night we paid for that particular room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the part of the hotel with the most floors. We stayed in the part with 3 floors a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RGG50
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed June 10, 2013

As soon as we entered our room, I was concerned that the bed would be a problem. In hindsight, I wish we had asked for a different room because the bed turned out to be very uncomfortable for two. The rest of the room was okay, but a bit tired... a comfortable sofa, decent lighting, a refrigerator, microwave oven and kitchen sink. The hotel is conveniently located to restaurants and shopping, boat rentals and the lake.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AmyClinton, Manager at Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
I am sorry to hear you didn't find your bed to be satisfactory. We would have been more than happy to have you look at something different and see if perhaps it may have worked a little better for you.

We are in the process of looking at some new linens and comforters to brighten those rooms as well as updating some other items. Hopefully we will have that completed soon. I hope you will come join us again and see the difference!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed with my husband and 2 small children. One night stay while we were in town. Hotel is dated, but priced fair. Rooms were clean, very big indoor pool, friendly staff. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was very good. Not many choices for a one night stay in a lake/ ski resort area with many home rentals. The stay was just fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jen F
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel was outdated, but nice all the same. We were there during the off season, so the price did seem high for the quality of the hotel. I would have been fine with the rate, had it been during ski season. Did go to the spa and the masseuse was fantastic!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Carrie F
Also consider these accommodations in or near McHenry
The Lodges at Sunset Village
#1 of 1 in Friendsville
Blue Moon Rising
Blue Moon Rising
#1 of 2 in McHenry

Been to Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!