“The lock on our door broke and they declined to fix it...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center

Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
“The lock on our door broke and they declined to fix it...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband had to go up and down to the lobby twice to get new room keys when they randomly stopped working, then the dead bolt knob wouldn't work and the bolt was frozen in the locked position. The only way to close the door from the outside was to use the key. Traci came up to evaluate the situation, agreed it needed fixing and referred it to the engineer on duty. She said he checked it, but he said it was our fault because we had the deadbolt on, and he went home. We had to deal with it the rest of our stay. Also one of the keys to the ski locker was poorly cut; it took 4 people to get it into the lock (rm 670.)

My lift ticket fell of my jacket 45 minutes before my ski time was over, and since it took me 20 minutes to get it replaced, I lost ski time. I saw lift tickets on the grounds and slopes at least 8 times in 36 hours. Obviously there is an issue with the fasteners that should be addressed. I recommend you use two fasteners to avoid this problem.

Room was fine, restaurants ok, too. Kids liked pool and arcade.

Room Tip: Slope side is nice if you want a view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristen C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I went here with low expectations and was SURPRISED! we stayed in a queen suite in the tower. nice room. kids had a ball! now my room keys did stop working every now and again like another reviewer said and the room staff was a little abrasive. this place is a little pricey! For this price I would hope for a little more bells and whistles. skiing and tubing is priced well. all in all had a great time. I normally do not stay in hotels but this was a last minute trip and all the houses around the slopes were rented. so I give a passing grade....if the kids are happy we are happy!

1 Thank rudeboy613
Lottsburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Single dad just back from a Wisp trip with three kids, 13/14/16. Everyone had a fun time, I'd highly recommend it for a family trip- it you don't have kids I'd skip this review.

We were there three days, and every employee was surprisingly friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the fireplace suits, which sleeps four. The rooms are pretty plain, but functional and spacious. Plenty of floor space for air mattresses if you have a large crew. A negative is that the floor lamps uses florescent bulbs, so it's not the best lighting. Sounds silly, but if we go again I'm bringing a few light bulbs with me.

The suite comes with a small fridge (3 feet high), microwave, coffee maker, kitchen sink and kitchen table. If you want to save a few dollars and have some meals in the room, keep in mind that there are no utensils or plates. I'd suggest bringing some paper plates, cups, plastic table ware, napkins/paper towels, a knife and a microwave save container for heating food. They provide enough coffee for three cups, and there is coffee available for free in the lobby. Free wi-fi is available in the room and around the resort.

The prices at the restaurants on site were reasonable, they don't charge a convenience premium. The bar also had a great happy hour deal with a $1.50 beer from 4-7. The ski shop was also reasonable, the temp dropped so we bought balaclavas there after shopping around in town. They had the lowest price.

If you are a pizza lover, go to Brendas. Best pizza we've had in a long time, and it's a few minutes drive down 219. (Take a right, it's on the right above the Subway).

Activity suggestions: Nice indoor pool, bring a suit. Ice skating rink is very small, not for bigger kids or adults. The mountain coaster is fun, but going on it twice was plenty. Tubing is great, but call ahead if you go on a busy day. They can tell you how full a time slot is, or if you should get a reservation. They have two hour blocks, or open sessions (5-9) after 5. Skiing is good for beginners to advanced intermediate.

From Arlington the trip was just over three hours with a gas stop and no commuter traffic.

Enjoy!

, the prices at the restaurants on site we

4 Thank Ontheriverguy
Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had so much fun skiing at Wisp but my experience was ruined by the horrible hotel. First, the room keys stopped working randomly throughout the weekend. We kept having to ride the elevator up and down to get new room keys from the front desk that may or may not work. This wasn't really a big deal, but it was very annoying and wasted a lot of time. Second, the maids took sealed food items from our room and threw it away. We asked them why they did that and they said they thought it was trash. Why would sealed food products on our table be trash? Also the maids were just incredibly rude to us every time we encountered them. I've never been treated so poorly by hotel workers in my life. Third and lastly, the wifi connection was horrible. I tried getting online multiple times throughout the weekend but could not. I was totally dissatisfied by the service I received at the Wisp Resort Hotel. The slopes were great but I would recommend anyone going skiing there to stay somewhere else.

1 Thank ExplorerTW

Travelers are raving about these McHenry hotels

Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We read reviews before going and, frankly, had low expectations. Sadly, even those low expectations were too high. So much so, that we turned a two night stay into a one night stay. Rooms were OK, but what was really bad is that it was full of high-school and college kids. This is NOT a family resort, it's a college fraternity weekend hang-out, which is great, if you're in college or high-school! Rooms seem to have plywood as you can hear everything in the rooms next door and in the hallway. And of course, given the "fraternal" atmosphere, from 2:00-3:00 am it was party, party, party. Perhaps we stayed here on the “wrong” weekend, but it seemed most of the kids are frequent guests. I will say one positive was the private ski lessons for the kids. The instructor was fantastic and kids really enjoyed learning from him. However, overall, we were more than happy to leave.

Room Tip: Lower your expectations.
2 Thank MWYoung
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

If you are looking for a quick getaway to do some sking and have a hotel on premise that is convinient then WISP is a good choice. We have a queen suite with 2 kids and was fine but very small rooms. Was disappointed that all the trails were not open as it snowed for 3 days and appeared to have plenty of snow but then again I am not sure how those decisions are made. Lots to do for kids and the restaurant DCs is not bad.
New Years Eve was VERY disappointing as the Lodge did nothing for the guests except for a band playing. If they want to have a New Years Eve worth talking about they need to provide a New Years Eve party. I beleive everyone would pay something for that.
So All in All would do it again knowing what I know and again would recommend for a few night stay and some skiing

Room Tip: For extra money I would go with the room that sleeps 6 instead of 4. I beleive bigger and does not...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our experience at the Wisp was less than favorable. Kids ran up and down the hallways at all hours of the night. Doors slammed throughout the night, which didn't fare well with the sleep that I would have liked to have had. Even in the afternoon, the maid service would be screaming up and down the hall--so forget about a nap to make up for the sleep you didn't get the night before. At $235 a night, this is a total ripoff. The rooms are old and there is nothing fancy about the room. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and am willing to pay top dollar--however, this room should only have been around $100 a night, at the most, based on what you got. They say that the bed was a queen--it was more like a full size bed.

We went tubing at 11---the lines were incredible. I saw people with tickets from the day before in the lines--no wonder they were crowded. We did enjoy snow mobiling, although that was quite expensive for only 30 minutes of ride time.

Next time, we are going to check out other options in where to stay...I definitely would not recommend staying at the Wisp!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David C
Also consider these accommodations in or near McHenry
The Lodges at Sunset Village
Inn At Deep Creek
Inn At Deep Creek
#1 of 3 in Oakland
4.0 of 5 stars 268 reviews

Been to Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!