WINNER WONDERLAND

and 1 more site!
Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in McHenry
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
“New Years Eve 2013 Ski Trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

If you are looking for a quick getaway to do some sking and have a hotel on premise that is convinient then WISP is a good choice. We have a queen suite with 2 kids and was fine but very small rooms. Was disappointed that all the trails were not open as it snowed for 3 days and appeared to have plenty of snow but then again I am not sure how those decisions are made. Lots to do for kids and the restaurant DCs is not bad.
New Years Eve was VERY disappointing as the Lodge did nothing for the guests except for a band playing. If they want to have a New Years Eve worth talking about they need to provide a New Years Eve party. I beleive everyone would pay something for that.
So All in All would do it again knowing what I know and again would recommend for a few night stay and some skiing

Room Tip: For extra money I would go with the room that sleeps 6 instead of 4. I beleive bigger and does not...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our experience at the Wisp was less than favorable. Kids ran up and down the hallways at all hours of the night. Doors slammed throughout the night, which didn't fare well with the sleep that I would have liked to have had. Even in the afternoon, the maid service would be screaming up and down the hall--so forget about a nap to make up for the sleep you didn't get the night before. At $235 a night, this is a total ripoff. The rooms are old and there is nothing fancy about the room. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and am willing to pay top dollar--however, this room should only have been around $100 a night, at the most, based on what you got. They say that the bed was a queen--it was more like a full size bed.

We went tubing at 11---the lines were incredible. I saw people with tickets from the day before in the lines--no wonder they were crowded. We did enjoy snow mobiling, although that was quite expensive for only 30 minutes of ride time.

Next time, we are going to check out other options in where to stay...I definitely would not recommend staying at the Wisp!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David C

Travelers are raving about these McHenry hotels

Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

My family and I are staying here for a quick ski trip. The hotel isnt fancy but is fine for a couple of days. Our room is a one bedroom suite- clean and comfortable, but it's not an upscale hotel. It is super convenient to the ski mountain- ski in/out. This is our first time skiing at Wisp. The trails are a bit short, but the conditions are good and it's a nice family oriented mountain.

Stayed December 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Have been coming here for 15 years and have had trips with much less snow while the entire mountain was open. Have had a lot of snow here for two days and the East Ridge trails are still not open creating a lot of lines elsewhere. VERY disappointing, my guess is the new management being CHEAP! Call before coming out to make sure East Ridge is open. If not open tomorrow AM, will pack my large group up and head to a place that can take advantage of all the snow we have had. Snowshoe maybe.

Stayed December 2012
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

The hotel is a bit run down, though clean. I arrived a day late and they had canceled my reservation without contacting me first. They rebooked me at the same rate. There was a snowstorm Christmas eve and they did not salt or shovel the steps until Dec 26. My mom was staying there as well on the first floor and her room smelled like mildew. If I had paid more than 150 I would feel I had really overpaid. I think she paid 200 for a smelly room.

There were kids roaming the halls.
The pool did look nice as well as the slopes but unless I was going to ski I wouldn't stay here again.

1 Thank EmilySunnyside
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel is nice and the service by the female attendants was nice. We arrived around 2:00 PM and the attendant was nice to give us a room. The room was decent and clean. We had booked a queen double bed. We will go again.

1 Thank A G
Greenbelt, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I and my family (six people) went to Wisp in december 20 to 21th. It was very nice, the Hotel is fine, we're well in the suite we rented. The problem is that we got a package to enter the ski lifts.
This represented an extra amount in the price we paid for the room. Ok, but the surprise came in the next day when we went to rent the equipments and the stuff for ski. The price of the ski class and the rent of the equipment and a new entrance for the lifts were cheaper than to buy just the classes and the rental. So, we paid twice for the entrance and used just one time! We regret the lack of information about this process when we booked.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near McHenry
The Lodges at Sunset Village
#1 of 2 in McHenry
Yough Valley Motel
Yough Valley Motel
#1 of 1 in Friendsville

Been to Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!