“Fantastic get-away near historical St. Michaels”

Wades Point Inn on the Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 McDaniel B&B and Inns
Frederick, Maryland
“Fantastic get-away near historical St. Michaels”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Relaxing, quiet, peaceful and amazing views of the water and wildlife during our stay. The quirks of the late 1800's historical home were wonderful. Rooms options range from snug to elaborate. We're putting Wade Point Inn on our list as a "must-do again".

Room Tip: Room options vary widely from rooms dating from the late 1800's in the main house (some with bat...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed August 19, 2013

A recent stay at this very nice inn was dogged by inconsistent service. On arrival we checked in to find our room had not been cleaned, nor was as advertised with a balcony. When we informed the desk staff of this and expressed our concern, the attendant said they had no other rooms and there were no other rooms available in town (due to a festival) and asked if we wanted to leave and get our money back. We were taken aback. No initial offer to clean the room was made and no apology was offered. Eventually we were told that the room would be cleaned, and we left for dinner. The room was fine when we returned. Finally, staff seemed under prepared for active early rising guests. We were able to take advantage of the wonderful kayaks they had onsite and did some great bird watching. However getting the paddles, life jackets and permission to use them was a bit of a run around at 745 am( no front desk staff was available). A wonderful breakfast in the main house starts at 8 am, but really is not ready until 830 or even 9. We enjoyed our stay, it is a nice location and convenient to St. Michaels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main house, the additional new building is only hotel/motel style rooms.
1 Thank KGupman
eastern US
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for several nights in August 2013. The location is wonderful: down a road off the highway, and right on the water. It is very quiet and peaceful, with a nice view. Plenty of chairs and hammocks spread around. The main house has several nice seating areas to enjoy the view or to hang out. The breakfast is typical of a place like this, with a different menu each morning we were there, and lots of locally-grown food. Our room was nice, but the fixtures were a bit dated and average. Not a big deal, since we were enjoying the view and the solitude.

Saint Michaels is about 5 miles away. It's a small town with a fair selection of restaurants. I'm a cyclist, and the area is great for biking. There are several routes available, the shoulders are wide, and the locals don't seem to mind having cyclists around. One church I rode by even had refreshments out just for us cyclists.

About my only complaint was that the internet did not work in the guesthouse (not the main house) where we stayed. It worked fine for me in the main house, and in just about every other hotel I stay at, but I could not get it to work in the guesthouse, so I don't think the problem was on my end. I told the managers, but they didn't seem to take me seriously, and it never did work in the guesthouse while I was there.

1 Thank va_trailrunner
Port Tobacco, Maryland, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I give this place an average review because for my husband and myself it just wasn't our "thing." We got a groupon rate and were looking for a little get-a-way for the end of the summer. We are a young couple and have never been to a B&B before so we decided to try it out. The view is absolutely breathtaking. It was actually a little chilly so we didn't spend too much time outside but we did use the chairs and hammocks as often as we could. I love that the place has it's own dog. Lucy the beagle is the highlight of this place for me :) I enjoyed the breakfast very much, but my husband wasn't that big of a fan because the only healthy option was yogurt (which is local and fresh, and in my opinion delicious) and he doesn't like yogurt very much. We spent most of our time in town visiting the local attractions which were great but didn't so much look forward to going back to the B&B because of lack of things to do. We didn't feel like having a drink (we had been at the brewery earlier in the day) so we grabbed some cards from main area and played cards in our room. Not the most exciting thing in the world but we made due. We decided to use the free wi-fi to our advantage and rent a movie so we were able to do that before bed. I had really looked forward to kayaking while we were here but it was so windy that my husband didn't think it would be safe. Of course that's not the B&B's fault.

Overall, we liked our stay in St. Michael's but for us this B&B just wasn't all that great. If you like things that are quiet and quaint then this is the place. We probably won't be returning however we are going to reccomend it to my husbands parents, who I think will absolutely love it.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with a bathroom attached. Walking down the hall to use the bathroom/shower is...
1 Thank Lauren P
Severna Park, MD
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a magical spot, right on the Chesapeake with water on two sides. From the dining room one almost feels like one is on a ship. Breakfast is gourmet quality- and an effort is made to source the food locally and ethically. I took kayaks out twice- part of what made the experience for me. Also spent a relaxing afternoon in a hammock and enjoyed walking the nature path. Hope to return.

Wades Point represents a nice compromise between a bed and breakfast, where one can feel a certain lack of privacy, and the impersonality of a big hotel. We enjoyed our main house room.

Pennsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Beautiful, off the beaten path, large, well-maintained property on the point. The staff and owners were very pleasant and helpful. Their resident beagle, Lucy was always around to greet us. The large house has multiple indoor and outdoor seating areas and rocking chairs to enjoy the bay views and constant breezes. The majority of the guests were couples, and seniors. We were one of the few families with older children. Multiple quiet areas with hammocks, small seating areas, and lawn furniture. There is a wonderful walking/jogging path around the property, and Lucy was our companion for most of it. The staff provide you a map of it when you check in. I wish the fish were biting a bit better than they were, but the stripers did not disappoint us at the fishing pier. We kayaked to the right of the property in the sheltered coves(kayaks were provided free of charge) , and enjoyed numerous types of birds, deer, and wildlife. There were also bikes available to ride on or off property(free of charge). Due to the jellyfish invasion, we were unable to swim. We stayed in the Farmhouse. A small 2 story home in front of the main house. The room was clean and adequately sized for our needs. Nice quilts, metal framed beds, old world furnishings charm, and ours had an in-room bathroom- as some of the rooms did not. The breakfasts were delicious, served in the dining room overlooking the bay. There was always coffee and tea prior to 8:30am, then always local fresh made yogurt, granola and fresh fruit. Then either grits or oatmeal, and some form of egg dish or quiche. Croissants or biscuits. No one left hungry. The closest seafood eatery was about 2.5 miles away in McDaniel and had good food. The town of St. Michaels is about 7 miles away with a Maritime Museum, bay tour boat rides, and a Main Street lined with shops and eateries/bars/nightlife. I am glad we found such a gem on a Groupon deal.

Room Tip: No pool or beach. No gym other than free bikes and kayaks, walking/jogging path not a good choice...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Clermont-Ferrand, France
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had an delightful stay in the main house. The view is amazing, everything is so relaxing and calm. The house keeper is extremely kind and will make you feel at home.
The room had the charm of the old style, which I loved, and the breakfast is home made and with local product.
Perfect stay, I deeply recommend.
----
J'ai passé une nuit dans ce B&B. La vue est absolument superbe, le cadre est calme et reposant. Les hôtes sont extrêmement gentils et vous feront sentir comme chez vous. La demeure principale a su conserver tout le charme de l'ancien, ce qui est plutôt rare. Le petit déjeuner est fait maison et de grande qualité.
Je recommande grandement !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near McDaniel
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
#2 of 13 in St. Michaels
Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast
#8 of 13 in St. Michaels

Been to Wades Point Inn on the Bay? Share your experiences!