“lovely decor”

Cuisines: Asian
Baltimore, Maryland
“lovely decor”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Someone really put some thought into the décor. It's almost like being in Japan. Service was very attentive and they have a full bar--although they were out of Miller lite? I had a fancy roll and found it to be a bit smaller in diameter-less generous-than other places. Overall worthwhile but still prefer Yamato.

Visited May 2014

Baltimore, MD
“Very Good Place”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My family and friends have had dinner here several times, the food is very good. The staff is friendly and you can order off the menu. Not a large place so you get personal feel and care. There is a small bar area and 2 rooms where you can sit on the floor and have your legs go through the floor so you get the feeling of an Japanese restaurant I guess. I am not interested in it, however I noticed families with kids seem to enjoy it (kids).

• Visited December 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“My go to Sushi place in the area”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I am writing this review because this restuarant is not as busy as it should be. The food is fantastic. I always get the sushi because i am always so pleased with it that I do not stray. The service is good. I have never been dissappoint with the quality of my experience here even if I am just picking up carry out. When I am craving sushi and need a convenient place, this is my go to spot. I have ordered from here in the past year easily 15 times and never have been let down.

• Visited August 2012
Maryland, USA
“High hopes, dashed”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We arrived early (around 5:30 pm) on a Saturday evening, and found the restaurant empty. We love Asian fare and this place has some nice reviews (plus we had a newspaper coupon), so we figured that we're the odd ones eating so early (and often watch good places fill up while we eat). I'll remove any suspense - almost an hour later one other couple had arrived. This place is not busy.

We started with a couple of simple rolls, but one that was supposed to contain asparagus had avocado. I could chalk this up to misunderstanding if I hadn't filled out the little sushi slip on paper. Not a huge deal, but sloppy.

I love tom yum and ordered the one with chicken. It was nice and hot thermally, but there was almost no chili heat, and very little sour - just a murky broth with good chicken, lots of zucchini and yellow squash (unusual - not terrible, but strange) and a few small mushrooms. Not sure whether they tone it down for the Americans of what, but I have had tom yum in many places including southeast Asia, and this was the least flavorful I've had.

Our entrees were tamarind chicken, pad thai, and steamed vegetables with chicken. None were inspiring. I've spent time in Malaysia and hoped to introduce my family to a standard, but this was unrecognizable - no tamarind flavor, overly sweet, and gooey. The pad thai had a nice tang of fish sauce, but was oily and the components did not have the separation of flavors and textures that distinguishes really good pad thai (even the peanuts were soggy). The steamed vegetables were okay, but the accompanying sauce was cloying.

The restaurant itself is very attractive and clean. Each time the manager was not near, the greeter/waiter would turn on a portable TV that was as loud as the music (and had an irritating laugh track). Service was too infrequent, we were never asked if we liked our food, nor if we enjoyed our meal.

My recommendation: go somewhere else. We went to Jasmine because none of the places nearby is superlative and we had hoped to find a favorite new spot - but we're still looking. For now, San Sushi is very good, but we have had better pad thai.

• Visited July 2012
Timonium, Maryland
“Very good food and nice staff”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Food was well prepared and the staff was very pleasant. Sushi was particularly prepared well. wine prices are reasonable, but not sure of the freshness of the house wines. overall a good experience.

Visited May 2012