“Tipping is MANDATORY even if service is awful - avoid!”

Peppermill Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Lutherville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The food here is excellent - when you eventually get it. Shame about the service.
However the service is appalling. I would have complained but I was a guest and did not want my friends upset more than they were.

The waiter was patronizing to the point of being rude, slow, failed to offer water or bring it when asked, had to be asked for bread and then threw it on the table, kept referring to us as 'girls' with a condescending and demeaning manner.

It was understood that larger groups had service added to the bill and so we left a rounded up sum saying no change was needed so I was surprised when the waiter threw the change on the table. We left it as we departed.

As we were leaving the waiter accosted one of our group shouting 'how dare you leave this when your bill was $xx!' waving the change in her face. She tried to explain she thought service was automatically added but he walked off. Everyone then felt obliged to leave a tip when the waiter really did not deserve it.

One of the party mentioned his behaviour to the receptionist who just shrugged her shoulders so it seems that poor service and indifference is endemic in this establishment.

His attitude is an excellent example of the American fixation with tipping and it being seen as right with no need to earned. I know they are not paid well and depend on their tips - all the more reason to work for their tip rather than to just expect it. The tip is at the discretion of the patron and is not a set 20% as they seem to expect in the States.

In this case he deserved the 'insult' of a pittance of tip because that is all his service was worth.

I will never return here and know that none of my friends will and they have spread the word to avoid this place. Shame, because as I said the food was good when we eventually had it thrown at us.

1  Thank Anonnymouse13

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed lunch at the Peppermill last week and once again the food was excellent and the service timely and friendly. We have visited the Peppermill several times this past year and always feel welcome, We love their cream of crab soup which is full of jumbo lumo crab meat. Both their seafood and steak dinners are well prepared and the daily specials offer a variety of meals that are very staisfying. We look forward to our next visit.

1  Thank MickeyMaysChapel
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

My family calls this the grey hair restaurant because The Peppermill is always filled with senior citizens. The food is always good and the prices are reasonable. Service is always very good. Senior citizens know a good value, want good food and expect superb service. They know a good thing.

1  Thank Susanne N
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife & I visited this past week on the spur of the moment. We split 1/2 dozen raw oysters that were excellent. Nice size and salty. She had the Cream of Crab Soup & I had the Oyster Stew and both were also exceptionally good. She ordered the Mussels and I the Sour Beef. She liked the Mussels, but sadly, the Sour Beef was tasteless. I spoke with the server and decided to change my entree to the Coconut Shrimp, which was very good. We both were very surprised as we've been coming here for years and always were happy with our meals. I hope this was just a rare occurrence. We most certainly will go back again, just to be sure! I must say our server was very attentive, without being overbearing.

1  Thank TheOwl42
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Awesome dining experience! All the personnel know how to care for their customers and the food is always perfect!