Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Reviewed April 10, 2019
Bavarian_Ruffian
Peterborough, United Kingdom
via mobile
Great but not worth the money for really small kids

Reviewed January 8, 2019
Terri K
Denver, Colorado

All reviews horse drawn fire engine a small gift shop children and adults ladder maryland photographs technology volunteers artifacts display
Selected filters
Reviewed April 10, 2019 via mobile

This is a special gem, hidden away in Lutherville (admittedly, I only happened to see it because I was stopped in heavy traffic next to a sign advertising it.)

The museum is housed in what appears to be a large, former fire station, and has a very large collection of fire fighting vehicles, tools, uniforms, and photographs.

Museum has a lot regarding fire fighting in Maryland, but also concerning the history of it regionally, nationally and abroad.

Several items are interactive.

Audio tours are available, but I find walking without one is just as good because so much information is posted throughout the museum.

The museum is open on Saturdays, and during the summer months it may be open during the week as well (check ahead of time as it may be utilised for special events, ranging from birthday parties to cub scouts activities.)

There is a small gift shop.

There are functional changing tables in both lavatories.

There is a very large playroom full of fire fighting themed things: dozens of toy engines in various sizes, a train table, an old fire engine children and adults can climb in to, and fancy dress uniform for children to wear.

Date of experience: April 2019
Reviewed January 8, 2019

It is super interesting, but a bit stressful with 3 year olds. Has a great play area, but not sure I would pay the cost just for the play area, which is really all there is for small kids. I would go back with just adults.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed September 17, 2018

The Fire Museum of Maryland is a hidden gem - off the main road and worth the short detour. The family-friendly events are worth attending, and the volunteers couldn't be more dedicated to protecting our community. To me, these are the real heroes, and they should be supported and celebrated as often as possible!

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed July 14, 2018

So why come to the Fire Museum of Maryland, or any fire museum for that matter? Well, here are a few reasons. The Fire Museum of Maryland has an incredible collection of beautifully preserved fire-fighting apparatus including engines and ladder trucks. It offers an informative tour through the changing technology of fire fighting. The volunteer-docents here provide fascinating insights into the history of fire fighting (hint: imagine 50 to 60 men pulling a heavy fire engine through the streets!). Many of the older engines are beautifully decorated as well since the original manufacturers aimed at aesthetic quality as well as practicality so there is an artistic element visible in the displays here. You can explore the history of the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904 through maps, photographs, and artifacts. The Fire Museum of Maryland actually owns a horse-drawn fire engine that was used during this conflagration. I was fascinated by the display of old water mains, especially one showing the wooden mains originally used in cities and how water could be diverted from them to help put out fires (check out this display to find out where the expression "plug ugly" comes from!). This is a small museum so it is not an all-day experience. On the other hand, it is informative, entertaining, and unique (if you come, make sure you don't miss the Alarm Room). It's also a great place for a birthday party. Since it's located in Lutherville (a northern suburb of Baltimore), it may be a bit off the beaten track if you're visiting Baltimore but there's plenty of parking available here and the volunteer staff is very welcoming. Don't miss the Fire Museum of Maryland!

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

This place backs up to a neighborhood. Their loudspeaker is highly disruptive but worse, they have loads of trash sitting in their wooded space. Zero effort has been put forth to maintain and clean their area in the 10+ years I have been around. Neighbors this poor don't deserve anything but poor reviews.

Date of experience: June 2018
1  Thank Tim H
Eric K, Manager at Fire Museum of Maryland, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2018

Tim,

7/12/2018

I just saw your review of the Museum and stopped by to speak with you. I hope you received my business card. My name is Eric Kelso and I am the Curator of the Fire Museum as well as overseeing the buildings and grounds. I have been here for over a year now, and have made significant changes to the grounds to improve our appearance. This includes spending $3,000 dollars to have the fence line cleaned up and the vegetation trimmed back. I saw very little trash along the fence and will be removing that today. It is the intention of the Fire Museum to maintain good relations with our neighbors since our founding in 1971. So, I hope you take some time to speak with me. If you like I would be happy to come over to your house to talk. I am here M-F 9-5 most days. (410) 321-7500 x106.

Eric M. Kelso