“WE WILL NEVER RETURN”

Adventure Bound Washington
Whiteford, Maryland
“WE WILL NEVER RETURN”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My family and I stayed here for Memorial Day weekend and were really disappointed with our stay. The bathrooms were dirty and smelled of sewer. Our children were very unhappy with the amount of adult swims that were through out their swimming day. I can understand 2 adult swims during a day, but more than that is ridiculous. This year they added a Tiki Bar at pool side, which sold frozen smoothies for $3.50/small cup. I thought this was a little high when camping is supposed to be a cheaper alternative vacation for families. The line for the frozen smoothies would be completely empty until the life guard blew his whistle and yelled adult swim. The line would quickly fill up and when you have 4 children in your family at $3.50/drink, this quickly adds up. The campground required everyone in your group to wear wrist bands. While my husband was packing up, I decided to take the children to the pool for the last hour that we were there. My child had lost his paper band and was asked to get out of the pool. When I spoke to the lifeguard he was rude and stated that "it's our rules". I even explained to him that we would be leaving shortly and he didn't even have a heart to let him stay. I then had my child walk to the camp check in to ask for a new bracelet. They would not give him one since he did not have the other one to return to them. Hence the term "LOST". When you check into hotels you are not asked to wear a band to swim in their pool. Where did family camping go?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank echoingacres

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
maryland
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We camped in this campground in our travel trailer for one week (August 23-29th 2010) while we made day trips to DC and Annapolis. The reviews we read prior to our vacation were spot on...the staff are very friendly and you do get a feel like you are camping in a trailer park due to so many long term campers occupying sites that look like they have not been touched or washed in months. Also other reviewers commented on the sites having grass and dirt that create mud when it rains as opposed to having gravel or paved sites. We had to go out and buy a special rug to put at the door so that we did not track mud in. It must have rained a day or two prior to our visit because the ground was soft...it made me not want to sit outside much.

The staff were chopping down trees and painting while we were there...they have a junky tool shed or work area that we had to pass each time we left out of the campground that they should really straigten up. I felt like we were camping in the middle of their mess.

The only pro to staying at this place was the price...and it's proximity to route 4 which gets you to the shopping areas.

My two other dislikes for this place was the internet service...once again reviewers commented on poor internet connection. I too had to sit outside of the office in order to get a steady connection. It was frustrating when I was in my camper trying to use the internet and having to stick my device into the window to try to get a connection. The entire time we were there our connection was always "low" with one bar.

The other dislike was the amount of cable channels they offer: 24
They were: all local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC) Fox, CW, PBS, Discovery Channel, History Channel, Weather Channel, Nat'l Geo, Animal Planet, Cartoon Network, Nick, Fox News, CNBC, TBS, USA, TLC, FX, Spike, A&E, AMC, Fox Movie Channel, Comedy Central

I hope the staff takes the time to read these reviews because a little TLC to this place in the form of requiring long termers to clean their area, wash their campers and not have junk cluttering their site, add some gravel to the sites, clean up their work area, get more cable channels and for peats sake fix the internet connection and this place could get better ratings. I like the fact that this is a family owned campground and it would be nice if they could keep it around for generations but until these things are improved upon we will not be returning.

On a final note...it appeared to us that the teenaged employees had about 8 of their friends come to the campstore area after the office workers were gone for the day to hang out or wait for them to get off ...but they were congregated outside at the picnic tables and that didn't look too good...I didn't notice them as campers during our stay so that is why they stood out to me as "not belonging"...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vacationbarbie2
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed at Duncan's for a week while we explored Washington, DC. There was a horrible blackwater stench that was everywhere in the campground, sites, pool, you name it. Yuck.

The wi-fi signal is so horribly weak, we were required to sit outside the office door (because it closes at 6 p.m., which is ridiculous for a Campground that allegedly caters to Washington, DC tourists who cannot possibly be back by then if sight seeing) to try to get a signal in the evening and even then it was spotty.

While the site is convenient to drive to the Largo Metro and ride into DC, that is about where the plus ends for Duncan's - don't know if Cherry Hill would be better .... these two campgounds have the DC market sewn up, so offering quality is not a priority at least at Duncan's.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank BooWho3

Travelers are raving about these Lothian hotels

CT
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We stayed at Duncan's Family campground for a week while seeing the sites in DC and Maryland. The stay was a great one! When we arrived we were placed at a site that bordered the road, we didn't really like the location so they were very accommodating and changed us to one better suited to our family needs. There are plenty of bathrooms and showers. The showers near the office were our favorites as they are self contained (and air conditioned :)
They were cleaned each morning and we never had a problem. The pool was lovely and guarded by two very nice girls who were attentive and also friendly. Our children loved the playground and it was hard to get them in at night but that is what summer is for. The showers in the bigger laundry building were older but also clean. I am embarrassed to say we never investigated the back of the property much, our site was 51. The only problem we had while camping here were the flies, they seemed to be out in force, but it could just have been due to the wet weather we have had much of the summer. Overall this campground was quiet, very quiet, friendly, and great for a family. Our kids already want to go back ( they would have been content swimming and playing on the playground)

2 Thank natesmomtw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lothian
Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
Sleep Inn & Suites Upper Marlboro near Andrews AFB
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis
TownePlace Suites Clinton at Joint Base Andrews
Hilton Garden Inn Annapolis

Been to Adventure Bound Washington? Share your experiences!