“Comfortable, Great Location, and Excellent Host” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Little Orleans Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Orleans
Little Orleans Lodge
You added Little Orleans Lodge to your Saves list
Baltimore, MD
“Comfortable, Great Location, and Excellent Host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

First of all, the location is perfect if you are hiking or biking on the C&O Canal trail or floating the Potomac. A historical building with additions for the lodging, this "lodge" is comfortable and charming like a B&B but without all the lace and flowers. The room night charges are entirely affordable and Steve the owner and his crew are fantastic people. Steve and his crew told me some people expect a traditional B&B and "concierge service" such as runs in to town for whatever they need. I don't think even traditional B&Bs do that, so I found this expectation a little unfair and apparently it resulted in some bad reviews. All the rooms were built out by Steve with real hardwood flooring and trim, the views are great and one suite has a porch that looks over a creek and a hillside. I can't wait to get back there!

Room Tip: Get the room with the balcony!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Tony S S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I got off the trail after biking all day and inquired at a local tavern about lodging. I was directed to Little Orleans Lodge about a half mile from the canal. The two gentlemen there were very nice. I had a beautiful clean room at a very fair price. The bathroom was clean and spacious. I slept very well after checking my laptop and had a good strong conection for being out in a remote location. I went to the dining area and found it homey and clean The table had cloth place mats and the food was served very promptly to my sitting down. The eggs bacon and french toast was great and served with orange juice and coffee. Steve & John gave me great info on the trail and had answers for all my questions. Reccomend the Little Orleans lodge to anyone in the area. I will return and make it a point to stop back for another wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Upper rooms have a good view of the area!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 260johna
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Excellent place, nice, remote location, yards from the C&O Canal. Steve was a funny and gracious host and even took us in his truck up to a fantastic nearby overlook that we would otherwise have missed and gave us the makings of a packed lunch for a hike in the surrounding woods.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a deck!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank daibread
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Steve was very helpful to me during my recent trip on the GAP and C&O.
It the perfect place for tired, dirty hikers or cyclists to pause and Steve's knowledge about the trail, shortcuts and conditions was way more than helpful!
Be advised that it's hostel/hunting lodge type place and never made any noises about being anything but so as long as you don't go thinking it's some quaint B&B with cute lace curtains where you are waited on hand and foot you will be quite pleased. It's very inexpensive.
I will most definitely stay here again when I come up to finish my ride on the C&O!
Thanks again Steve!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank dgpete
Nebo, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

After reading some of the reviews about Little Orleans Lodge, I have to come to the rescue of Steve Huebner and his establishment. As a long time hiker of the Appalachian and C&O Canal Trails, I have patronized Steve's establishment since 2009. If you are looking for a B&B style establishment, Little Orleans Lodge is not it. As the name infers, Lodge is somewhere in between B&B and a Hostel. However, I would say that Little Orleans Lodge is more hostel than a lodge. With that said, Steve has managed to maintain and provide what I would call top notch service since opening his doors in 2001. Little Orleans Lodge primarily caters to the hiker/biker crowd along the C&O Canal Trail. Conveniently located between Hancock, Maryland and the terminus of the C&O Canal Trail in Cumberland, Maryland, Steve’s place is the only civilization for sixty miles since the B&B in Paw Paw, West Virginia closed down in 2011. As for the maintenance and cleanliness of the place, I have to salute Steve for his personal efforts here lately since he has been unable to retain qualified and reliable help. Unfortunately, most of the characters Steve has hired on as help turned out to be either alcoholics, drug addicts, or suffering from a multitude of mental ailments ranging from schizophrenic sociopath to bipolar disorder. So in defense of Little Orleans Lodge, and especially Steve, you get exactly what you pay for. A clean room with a bed and clean sheets, laundry for the asking, telephone access, shuttles upon request and a killer breakfast. As for the piles of junk, that is restaurant quality, stainless steel kitchen equipment he is going to install this winter. Oh, yea! A friend of mine said that Steve now has Wi-Fi access. So if you’re on the trail and need a place to stay, get out of the elements and a warm meal, this is the place. If you’re looking for that stuffy, potpourri in the ashtrays, antique museum bed room in a $200 a night B&B, well Little Orleans Lodge is not your cup of tea.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank SlingshotGA
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Rooms were very nice for Four guys Riding the GAP trail and C and O Canal to DC. Steve couldn't have been nicer. He took us "Bill's Place" for dinner and picked us up when we were done. Steve made breakfast of French toast, bacon and eggs. It was great. Although the exterior of the place has alot of Steve's personal items, tractor etc. it did not take away from our good experience there. Took our credit cards for one night stay and we had no problems.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank FoodJudgePittsburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We booked our room for two nights and prepaid. When we arrived, Steve informed us that there was a three night minimum and we owed him another $100. We told him were never informed of this and that his website says nothing of the sort. He repled, "I thought you knew." I refused to pay the extra night's fee. He said we owed it. We threatened to leave and asked for a full refund. He refused. He threatened to call the local sheriff. We didn't pay for the extra night. Plus, we rode motorcycles there (he knew that) but the only parking area was an open field. It rained heavily, making entering and exiting dangerous. The dining room and kitchen area were filthy. We wouldn't let our dog eat there. We will never go there again.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank skybyker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Orleans
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs Inn
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs In...
#2 of 6 in Berkeley Springs
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
#2 of 4 in Cumberland
3.5 of 5 stars 444 reviews
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#1 of 6 in Berkeley Springs
4.0 of 5 stars 128 reviews
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cumberland
BEST WESTERN Braddock Inn

Been to Little Orleans Lodge? Share your experiences!