“Be aware....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Little Orleans Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Orleans
Little Orleans Lodge
You added Little Orleans Lodge to your Saves list
Seattle, Washington
“Be aware....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We recently cycled the C&O/GAP trail and stayed at Little Orleans Lodge because it is fairly close to the trail. Yes, Steve the owner is a nice guy and clearly knowledgeable of the surrounding area. The establishment and service though, was very poor. The property and yard itself was strewn with junk and garbage. The room appeared clean, but the carpet was filthy leaving debris on our feet and belongings.The bed was lumpy and squeaked with every move. Chairs on the adjoining deck were laden with green slime. The shared bathroom had only a single towel for our long awaited showers. The shower drain was filled with hair. Though breakfast was advertised as included, no direction had been given for where and when it was to be served. In trying to locate Steve for towels the evening before, I caught a glimpse of a tremendously filthy, junk-laden kitchen; we were very concerned about eating any food prepared there. When morning rolled around (and feeling really hungry), we followed the smell of bacon to a dining table strewn with piles of personal stuff/junk/garbage, including many bottles of medication, all of which were literally shoved to the end of the table so we'd have a place to sit (,,,we all stood in dismay).

We derive no pleasure in reporting this entire experience; it was really quite sad. We do though, feel others need to be aware of what to expect from this business.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank Clara F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dublin, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Little Orleans Lodge is located approximately 8 miles from US 40 in Little Orleans, Maryland. This lodge is ideally situated near the C & O Rilroad/bicycle path. Steve, the owner of the lodge, was not on the premises very much when I visited. He was busy trying to corral some livestock which escaped!! Katie, Steve's reservation's manager, aptly prepared meals, took reservations, visited with guests, and took care of any of the other numerous bits and pieces required for operating a lodge!! Cory, Steve's son, possesses an innate ability to share enthusiasm with the guests at the lodge. It's a given that he cares deeply about Little Orleans Lodge and its immediate environs. He was able to provide all sorts of information and trivia about the animals, landscape, plants, animals, geological formations plus all sorts of other interesting odds and ends about the locale. Cory immediately sensed that I was averse to the typical "tourist" attractions when I said that I opted to kibitz with the locals near Fallingwater which was designed for the Kauffman family of department store fame. In fact, I waved at the entrance of Fallin gwater and drove on by!! Again, many thanks Katie & Cory!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are comfy!! Katie will do whatever it takes to make you feel right at home!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed at the Little Orleans Lodge while bicycling the C&O canal. The owner, Steve Huebner, is an amazing wealth of information about local history, wildlife, geography, and the C&O canal trail. He has a wonderful dry sense of humor and goes out of his way to be helpful. For example, he volunteered to drive us to the nearby restaurant for supper (and pick us up afterwards), saving us the bicycle ride up a steep hill in the rain. When we left, Steve gave us all sorts of useful tips on where to stop for lunch, what to see on the trail, and so on. Earlier, when I made the reservation, he loaned us a copy of his DVDs and a book about the trail. We also used him as a shuttle service to take us from the end of the trail in Cumberland MD back to our car in the Washington DC area.

Steve wakes up at 3 am to bake bread, and the breakfast consisted of absolutely delicious French toast. The building is not a fancy Victorian mansion, nor are the rooms full of the antiques of a traditional B&B. This is a lodge, located in a secluded and wild place, designed to assist bicyclists, hikers, and bird watchers. I appreciated the magazines laying around—Audubon, Birder, National Geographic…definitely in the character of the place.

From the point of view of a bicyclist riding the C&O canal trail, Little Orleans is in an ideal location, 45 miles from Cumberland. In rainy and muddy conditions, 45 miles is a good day’s ride on a fat-tired bike with loaded panniers, while riding all the way from Cumberland to Hancock, a 63 mile stretch, might be a bit much.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GlennC63
Denver CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

We stayed at the Little Orleans while cycling the C&O Canal Towpath. It was cozy, clean, and comfortable and located in a beautiful setting. The owner, Steve, was charming and very helpful. We had gotten caught in an all-day downpour and were wet, cold, muddy, and dispirited. Steve picked us up, along with our bikes, let us wash them off and do our laundry. He was knowledgeable about the bicycle route and surrounding area. Drove us to his favorite overlook and to dinner at a great restaurant in Hancock. Even lent us shoes because ours were soaked! Breakfast was quite good and made to order, since we wanted oatmeal--better and more healthful than the fat-laden, overly-rich frou-frou fare often served at B&Bs. Highly recommended--don't miss it if you're cycling the C&O.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank xarah
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed here with our spouses when we accompanied them on a biking trip. i am sure the place is great for a bunch of men but honestly the place was a dump. It wasn't dirty but there was clutter everywhere. Steve was a very nice man and was knowledgeable about the area though and very talkative. The breakfast was mediocre but plenty of it! I do not recommend this place for romance or anything other than needing a place to rest your weary head after a day of biking!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Enzalina
DC area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

I stayed at the Little Orleans Lodge when I was hiking the entire C&O Canal two summers ago, by myself. It was fine! I'm surprised to see the terribly negative reviews from folks, because I found the place very comfortable and clean, and the owner was extremely helpful, down-to-earth, genuine, and friendly. He knew a great deal about hiking and biking the Canal (and other local trails), and he was very good at offering advice just when it was valued. I really enjoyed my stay there and appreciated his advice and help.

• Liked — Nice, unassuming, informative, helpful, clean.
  • Disliked — Not much around there -- it's a great spot in the middle of not much else!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank NomadGlowDad
Maryland, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

I planned my C&O bike trip with the idea of spending the first night on the trail in Little Orleans, so that I could eat and hang out at Bill's Place in what passes for downtown Little Orleans. I had seen Bill's the year before when riding bikes through with my wife. This lodge is the closest place to stay, not very far, and it is mostly a downhill ride from it.

There are plenty of bathrooms, and four rooms downstairs and two upstairs. Two of the rooms downstairs have some of his projects in them and are only used as backup. The other two can be partitioned or not, depending on who is staying there. The upstairs fellows were late sleepers, so I didn't get to see it, but I would presume a similarity to the two I did see.

Steve was very helpful, and I appreciated the visit to an overlook of the Potomac and the slab of sausage with the eggs and wheat toast for breakfast. On a bike ride, it is good to start the day with some serious fuel that also tastes good.

When I mentioned my intent to get take out at a particular Chinese restaurant in my next stop, Williamsport, where we had eaten good food the year before, he mentioned that he knew it for just so-so food. It turned out that the food was now mediocre.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank mayaphile
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Orleans
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs Inn
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs In...
#2 of 6 in Berkeley Springs
4.0 of 5 stars 294 reviews
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#2 of 2 in Hancock
4.0 of 5 stars 62 reviews
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#1 of 6 in Berkeley Springs
Super 8 Hancock MD
Super 8 Hancock MD
#1 of 2 in Hancock
3.5 of 5 stars 258 reviews

Been to Little Orleans Lodge? Share your experiences!