“Great location for pre- cruisers at Baltimore port”

Hyatt Place Baltimore/BWI Airport
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
pittsburgh pa
“Great location for pre- cruisers at Baltimore port”
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Great location, very clean and staff very friendly. We stayed there prior to a Carnival cruise. Hotel is approx. 15 mins from the port of Baltimore. We would highly reccomend as you are able to leave your car parked there if you prefer and either take a cab or the hotel shuttle to the port. They had a good continental breakfast in the morning . Great hotel at a fair price.

Room Tip: All rooms are large.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank razayes
tclapsaddle, General Manager at Hyatt Place Baltimore/BWI Airport, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
I want to thank you for your kind words regarding my hotel. I also want to thank you for shouting this out via Trip Advisor. We look forward to your return as well as all of your friends & family members.

Hyatt Place BWI Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Virginia
Reviewed April 26, 2011

My family stayed at the Hyatt Place Lithicum over the Easter weekend, 2011. We were attending a volleyball tournament at the Convention Center in Baltimore near the Inner Harbor. I was a little concerned about the distance to travel each day into the city but the "Light Rail" has a stop close to the hotel and the rail takes you right to the Convention Center for only $3.20. This is much less expensive than parking in the city.

Reservations and check in went fine. But, it looked like our room was partially just used. I went down to the desk to find out what was going on. As I was downstairs a young lady was able to open the door to our room while my wife was inside and said, "I'm sorry. The front desk gave me the wrong key and I took a shower in your bathroom. Here are your towels." She tried to give her used towels back to my wife! The front desk explained there was a mix up and it had been corrected. That is one HECK of a mess up! Could you imagine someone else having a card key to your room. This could have been a bad situation if that card was in the wrong hands.

Other than that the room was okay. The decor is VERY dated. Our room had worn gold carpeting, the bathroom door was worn and the couch was stained. The desk was wobbly to the point of almost being unsafe. The "footprint" of the hotel is fine. But, it is past time to redecorate the rooms. The positive of the room were the things that have been replaced. The bed was comfortable and there was a new 42" HDTV. There is free wireless internet but it was very slow. I could check email but could not watch a baseball game on MLBV.

Breakfast is a JOKE. They should not even advertise that it is breakfast. There were different kinds of bread, cereal, some fruit and yogurt. The coffee was possibly the worst I have ever tasted. There is a Bob Evan's and Ruby Tuesday nearby. We went to Bob Evan's for breakfast one morning (as did most of the other guests I believe judging by the wait!) and the food was pretty good.

I put this hotel as average but I just can't recommend it until the rooms are redecorated. We paid $129 per night and that is way too much for a dated room. There are other (newer) hotels nearby. When we return to Baltimore next year I will try one of those instead of the Hyatt Place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank NJ2Virginia
I wanted to thank you for comments regarding my hotel. Some hotels do not want to hear about when they do not meet their guests expectations. We do!
I am sorry that we failed to take care of you during your stay.
I promise that the opportunities that you brought up will be addressed.
I do hope that you give us another chance to take care of you in the future!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed April 14, 2011

This hotel has major issues...
First, and most alarming, was that nobody was working the desk when I arrived to check in at 1am. And by nobody, I mean nobody at all working anywhere in the hotel. After searching the hallways and other spaces of the first floor, I found no one and had no way to check in. The automated kiosks did not work. Calling the hotel's phone did nothing but cause the phone to ring right in front of me unanswered. Calling the main Hyatt reservations number gained me a little sympathy, but nothing more since there was nothing that could be done from their location. After hanging around the lobby for about 20 minutes the missing employee finally did show up to check me in. Where she had been is anybody's guess. This was the last thing I needed at one in the morning when I had to be up at five.
Besides that, the hotel had other problems. The TV channels were so fuzzy that you could hardly tell what was on, the bathroom sink did not drain so that I had to move mid-shave to the wet bar sink after it was literally about to overflow, and the sheets were like sandpaper. Had this room been at a Motel 6, it wouldn't have been so bad, but for a place with the Hyatt name it was unacceptable.
There are many other hotels in the area, so do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank frank3355
tclapsaddle, General Manager at Hyatt Place Baltimore/BWI Airport, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
I have taken the appropriate corrective actions to ensure that all of my guests receive the same level of High Quality service 24 hours per day.

North Carolina
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens) stayed at the Hyatt Place in March, 2011 on a quick weekend trip to Baltimore's Inner Harbor. We've done this trip before, usually stay at another hotel closeby to The Hyatt but saw the Hyatt Place had the "living room" feature which helps with kids PLUS it was $15 cheaper/night.

Parking was no issue, check in was a breeze. I was helped by a woman named Lakeisha? Gosh, I can't remember her name but she was a beautiful woman with a warm smile and you'll know her if you see her. So professional and personable. She asked if we'd ever stayed at a Hyatt before and quickly and thoroughly told us of the hotel's ammenities and offered any help throughout our stay if we needed anything.

The lobby was clean, warm and welcoming. The corridors and elevators were the same. No musty odors or funky smells except some guy who boarded the elevator with a stack of pizzas and man did it smell good forever!

Our room was fine too. I'd say everything worked except our shower was slow to drain. Didn't mess up our trip so I didn't mention it until we checked out two days later. I found two big hairballs at the vanity area. It's a place you'd expect to find hair but it was still a bit creepy. There was some long black hairs on the bathroom floor too. I used the hair dryer and blew them to behind the toilet and they were never cleaned up by housekeeping. Creepy. Creepy enough not to stay here again? Naw. The place was nice, roomy and we really had no issues so we'll be staying there again next time.

Food: We nibbled at the continental breakfast downstairs each morning. Not a big variety but this hotel offers a casual menu service for an additional price (we didn't use it) AND a cafe area that has dee-licious "mini bunts" (chocolate cakes with chocolate icing - really yummy) and service with a smile ... again Lakeisha.

Didn't use the indoor pool or the fitness area but my husband did take the kids and said it was nice.

Check out was a breeze. For some reason we, and other customers I overheard, didn't get the express check-out under our door so we had to use the front desk. No issues there though - Lakeisha was there to help us out and wish us a nice day.

We used to live in Baltimore so we know the area well. Whenever we visit, we usually look at the Inner Harbor hotels, get ticket shock and stay in the BWI airport area. It's only about 15 minutes to the Harbor Place, not really a big deal to us. It's a nice area, and you can save some $$. Can't speak for the airport shuttles because we've never used them.

I rec'd a survey in my e-mail for my hotel stay. I commented on the hairballs I found and Mr. Clapsaddle wrote me an e-mail, apologizing for anything that may have detracted from my stay. I thought that was nice and thoughtful, considering this day of customer NO-SERVICE we are always bombarded with. I like that someone actually reads the feedback their customers leave. He didn't have to apologize though, because we'll stay there again and I recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Check online for specials and use your AAA card!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind words about me. Looking forward to your return here to my hotel!

Helotes, Texas, USA
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Courtney was extremely friendly, cheerful and helpful, despite her lack of experience...A+ for attitude. On the other hand, Cathy (or Kathy), the front desk host, was rude, disrespectful and seemed overwhelmed and unable to handle her responsibilities as a hospitality manager. She did not smile or establish friendly eye contact; guests seemed to impose a heavy burden on her. At first, I dismissed this, given that she could have been having a bad day. However, she seemed disinterested in helping me with my room problem (I was given a handicap room, even though I did not request one, and I did not feel comfortable in a room where the bed was so close to the door and so low from the ground). I had called the front desk, first of all, to ask if all the rooms were set up in this manner (I didn't realize it was a handicap room in the beginning). Courtney answered the phone, but she had to ask Cathy because she didn't know the answer. She actually assured me that all the rooms in the hotel were set up this way, bed close to the door. I thought that I would have to deal with that, but made a mental note never to stay at that Hyatt Place again. Little did I know this was not true. I found out when I went to meet up with my coworker for dinner and his room was set up exactly as I expected Hyatt Place rooms to be set up, with the couch near the door and the bed near the window. I immediately went downstairs to speak with the staff and was greeted with an annoyed look by Cathy. I again stated my problem, what their initial response was, and how I discovered that there were rooms in the hotel that were set up the way I expected. I felt lied to and and purposely misled. When confronted, Cathy stated that the reason I was given a handicap room was because I requested a king size bed and there were no king size beds, other than the handicap room, available at the time I checked in (this would've been nice to know at check-in). I asked what was available and she said that the only available rooms had 2 double size beds, so I requested to be moved to a room with double sized beds. The layout of the handicap room simply did not meet my minimum standards of safety, comfort and aesthetics. Cathy begrudgingly agreed to change my room, but not before rudely asking me if I had "done anything to the room," to which I responded with a no. I left satisfied to be moving to another room, but very dissatisfied with Cathy's overall attitude and seemingly combative demeanor towards me. Lo and behold, when I arrive at my new room, it had a king sized bed, which I was grateful for, but truly left me baffled...I was left with a very bad impression of the hotel because of this incident. Cathy seemed more intent and preoccupied with pawning off her handicap room to an unsuspecting guest and lying to cover her tracks, which left me thinking of what else do the Hyatt Place employees deal with less than honesty and integrity?? Overall awful check-in experience. Will probably avoid this Hyatt Place.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I have addressed this issue with all of my Gallery Hosts (including Kathy) to ensure that everyone is given a high level of service at my hotel.

Thank you for your kind comments about Courtney.

General manager
Kitty Hawk, NC
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I would recommend this hotel IF people are aware that they have a nice shuttle
TO the cruiseport in Baltimore at $10pp each way but that the return shuttle does not start running until 10:30 AM............difficult to stay on the ship that late and few places to wait at the Baltimore pier except in the luggage hanger.

Although the sign up sheet for the shuttle to the port does indicate on the bottom that the return shuttle starts at 10:30...........when you are checking in you are more concerned with reading the top of the sheet on what time to go to the port and It would have been nice and kind if they had alerted us to the return times...............but

To top it off, when we got back, we could not reach the hotel by cell phone or payphone................we found out after our $30 cab ride that their phone system was "out of service" that morning. Unless the shuttle goes to the port without a call..........we would not have gotten a ride even at 10:30..........irritating but they did refund the $20 return shuttle cost we prepaid. This hotel may be better for park, stay and fly rather than for a cruise.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
tclapsaddle, General Manager at Hyatt Place Baltimore/BWI Airport, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
My apologies for the issue that you experienced while a guest of my hotel. I am glad that you did notice our pick up times started at 10:30am at the Port. This has not been a problem in the past with other guests as we had notified them in advance. I will ensure in the future that my Gallery Hosts are verbally telling our guests so that they are made aware & so that they can decide if they wish to pay for a round trip transfer or just a one way.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding my hotel. I do hope that we have the opportunity to serve you & your family again in the future!

camp hill, pa
Reviewed December 13, 2010

stayed here the night before an early morning flight,...room was nice,clean and modern,staff was friendly,they also had a decent free continental breakfast set up at 4:30 am down by the lobby,...great bang for the buck "spent about 90 on orbitz and got a nice room,free airport shuttle,and was able to park at the hotel all week till we got back"

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
tclapsaddle, General Manager at Hyatt Place Baltimore/BWI Airport, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
I would like to thank you for your nice comments regarding my hotel. I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again on any future flights out of the BWI Airport.