“STAY ANYWHERE ELSE IN BALTIMORE BUT BWI MICROTEL”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham BWI Airport Baltimore
Ranked #27 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Reviewed June 4, 2008

We confirmed by credit card our priceline purchase in January of 08 for our stay all the way on May 31, 2008. We called and reconfirmed our reservation the morning of May 31 and were told it was confirmed FOR LATE ARRIVAL and were told no problem. My 16 year-old daughter and I arrived at 12:30 a.m. only to be told the HOTEL HAD OVERBOOKED BY 5 ROOMS and that we would have to drive 15 miles AWAY from the a/p to get another room. We've never been to Baltimore, had to get up super early for an a.m. flight and return a rental car, and were given a sheet of paper indicating the new hotel address. We said this wasn't acceptable and after reading the sign on their wall in LARGE ALL CAPS that said, "MANAGER ON DUTY," we asked to speak to him or her. We were told there wasn't a manager on duty but that we could call back the next day. We had no choice but to leave and find another hotel in the middle of the night in a town we didn't know.

We called Priceline on the spot at the Microtel, typed in the confirmation code, FINALLY reached a human customer service rep, and as we finally got going in our car, she asked me AGAIN for the confirmation #, "listened" to our story (but then asked if I saw the hotel employee's name badge when I CALLED to reconfirm the reservation that afternoon!?), and then the Priceline rep ACTUALLY TOLD ME SHE WAS GOING TO HAVE TO TRANSFER ME TO SOMEONE ELSE!!!! THAT SECOND HUMAN TRANSFER was unacceptable. Priceline and Microtel should be ashamed - if no recourse is advised then we will be forced to tell anyone and everyone who will listen this true documented story of a single woman and her 16 year-old daughter being booted out of their hotel room late at night by Priceline and Microtel with no recourse.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham BWI Airport Baltimore

Reviewed May 20, 2008

Only under the circumstance that you want a super-cheap, not-clean, with horrible customer service airport hotel to stay at for an early flight out of BWI the next morning would I recommend this place.

We waited for 45 minutes at the airport for Microtel to pick us up with its free shuttle (it never showed after repeated phone calls with staff assuring us it would 'be there very soon'), and finally took a cab instead. When we asked management what they'd be willing to do (a discount perhaps?) to make up for this poor customer service they said "oh no, we don't do that."

After we finished checking in that afternoon and went out to downtown Baltimore for the afternoon/evening, we returned to the hotel at night to find our key cards wouldn't work. So, we asked the front desk staff (different person than who was there at check-in) to re-program our key cards, which they did without asking for any form of identification. We could've been posing as guests trying to steal items from rooms. Pretty unnerving.

If all you want is super-cheap and don't care about cleanliness (the rooms are disgusting) or customer service, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 1, 2008

i booked a park and fly stay at microtel. we stayed 1 night and the room was fine except for the bathroom needing some fix ups. the lady that checked me in was fine and she applied my $10 coupon to the printed receipt i signed. when i checked out the guy gave me a receipt that didnt have my 10 deducted from total charge and he said she must not have entered it into the computer correctly and said there was nothing he could do about it and would have to check into it. like he couldnt just look at my original receipt from check in. so he said they would get back to me about refunding me 10. so i take my cruise and call them when i get back 5 days later and it still wasnt taken care of. i talked to the general manager Benson Mouissi and he said he will check into it. it has now been 14 days since i spoke to him and it still hasnt been taken care of. i sent him and email and he didnt respond. the point isnt about the 10 dollars its about telling someone you will get it taken care of and you never do. i think it is ridiculous that something so simple was never taken care of for a customer. so point of situation is that the customer service was awful. i will not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2008

After a flight from BWI was cancelled, we had to wait til morning, so we booked this hotel through an agent in the airport. It served its purpose well and I would use the hotel again if I were in the same predicament.

Why we liked it:
+The airport shuttle picks up at BWI frequently (every 15 minutes) and runs very early in the morning (just be sure to sign up the night before!)
+The shuttle also provided on-call service to area restaurants (there are several in walking distance but no sidewalks on the road)
+Our room was clean
+The continental breakfast options were good and included a waffle maker and fresh fruit (whole)
+The front desk staff were courteous and helpful to us

Why we would only use it for convenience to the airport:
-The hallways were noisy with travelers both late at night and early in the morning
-The fluorescent lighting in the room was very harsh, especially with the stark white walls and beds
-The early-morning staff (front desk person and shuttle driver) argued in front of all of the guests and then the driver complained all the way to the airport--it wasn't terrible, just unprofessional
-The quality of the hotel and its amenities weren't that great for the price we paid--but we willingly paid it for the proximity to the airport and shuttle service

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank charmcitymango
Reviewed March 12, 2008

I was stuck at BWI because of an airline delay and chose the Microtel because of a $59/night coupon that someone gave me at the airport from a hotel coupon book. I had it in my mind that if it was disgusting, I would either insist on taking the shuttle back to the airport or get a cab to a nearby hotel (there are a whole bunch very close to this one). Check-in was easy and the lobby decor was what you might expect. The room had a smell that did go away after turning on the heater--or maybe I just got acclimated. The sheets (the first things I thoroughly inspect) appeared clean so I stayed. Breakfast was nice to have as a convenience.

The shuttle driver at night was great and took a few of the stranded to a fast food restaurant to get dinner. The (different) shuttle driver in the morning was a character and, if you like listening to complaint stories, provided a pretty entertaining ride back to the airport.

Not a hotel that I would endorse and refer my friends, but if stuck at BWI again, I would put it in the running--if I couldn't get a decent deal somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2008

Do not stay here. It is terrible. No clue how anyone could give this a favorable review. It was dirty every where. In the lobby, in the elevator, in my room. The room looks like a prisoner cell, and does not have any appeal at all. Everything is old, old, old and needs terrible updating especially bathroom. My curtains wouldn't even close which isn't that bad I guess since wall was right in front of my window (no more than a couple of inches away). It is extremely noisy-I got no sleep at all. When anyone in a room close turns on their faucet it sounds like a mower is entering the room. Terribly loud. Plus thin walls, could hear people opening chip bags on hallway that were just bought in vending machine.

But most of all as a woman travelling by myself I didn't feel safe here. I came in late at night and it took the courtesy shuttle 40 minutes to arrive -eventhough they promised to come right away and I was the only passenger. I don't like standing alone in the dark at the airport for that long. The lobby was filled with fishy looking individuals, the people behind the desk acted strange. I really felt unsafe, I went up straight to my room afraid to spend more time in the lobby, locked my door, checked behind mirrors and furniture for strange things-that is how paranoid I was. I slept wth my clothes on and left right away when the neighbors woke me up at 5.30AM. I wasn't staying there one minute longer!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Allergictraveller
Reviewed February 17, 2008

This is my second stay at Microtel BWI. I stayed in October and December 2007. I selected this hotel due to the convenience of their park and fly program. I was able to obtain a $10.00 off coupon both times from their direct website. The front desk personel was very friendly and helpful both times I stayed. The property is nice and clean. The neighborhood feels safe and secure. I didn't worry about leaving my car parked for three nights. This hotel provides a shuttle to and from the airport 24 hours a day. Behind the parking lot is a local movie theater and a Ruby Tuesday Restaurant. If you like to shop, the local mall is called Arundel Mills mall only a 5 minute drive from the hotel. (A huge mall with a movie theater and plenty of places to eat, including Johnny Rockets). Maryland transportation system provides bus service for a small fee to and from the mall. The bus stops in front of the hotel and runs hourly. The hotel shuttle will provide complimentary transportation to the mall, but only up to 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. Microtel is perfect for an over night trip. Friendly, clean, safe and secure. I will continue to stay at the Microtel for my pre and/or post night hotel stay when flying out of BWI.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family