“Above and beyond”

BWI Airport Marriott
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I cannot begin to express how wonderful the staff at this hotel are!! The rooms were spacious and comfortable but the staff at this facility are what set them apart from the rest. From the great tips on where to go out and grab a bite to eat at a nice local restaurant, the shuttle that took us to the door of the restaurant and picked us up, to the helping us figure out where to find a hotel near Dulles when our kitten had to be re-routed to a different airport. The hotel was clean, well kept and beautiful but the staff are what make this the best! I will go out of my way to stay here again. Thank you for the fantastic service!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Willie W, General Manager at BWI Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear JenniandHolly,

Thank you so much for your glowing review. Each and every member one of our associates tries really hard to deliver excellent service and we are so happy that you experienced their desire to go "above and beyond." We hope you finally connected with your kitten!

Reviewed November 13, 2013

First impressions, not so good.  Paper thin walls, and few options to eat out.   Very minimal lobby, not so inviting.   No complimentary teas, coffee, or light snacks - a very unwelcoming atmosphere.
Rooms don't feel 5-star, just basic with a dated appearance and old styled a/c in the window!
What?!   No breakfast included, wifi is 12.95 per day!?!
No more to say, would not come back ever. I had so much better service and accomodations at other much less expensive 3-star hotels!

Room Tip: Room towards back, upper floors away from elevators
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed 2 nights and slept great in a super comfortable king bed.

Took the shuttle from the airport. Easy and clean. The shuttle runs every 15 minutes to the hotel.

Check in was quick. The front desk person verified that my travel profile requests were accommodated ( no feather pillows, not near elevator, not near ice machine ). Great service.

Had some drinks in the lobby bar with friends. The bar area was big and open - not super crowded but not empty.

The room itself was clean and in good shape. Large flat screen TV. Tons of pillows. Coffee maker... Iron and ironing board. And the big soft bed that I mentioned already...

No complaints about the BWI Marriott.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The BWI Airport Marriott is a garden-variety "captive audience" airport hotel - garden variety as compared to other airport hotels, but in my opinion below the usual average for Marriott properties, which are normally outstanding. I stayed there for one night because airline scheduling required me to take a super-early flight and I would have had to get up way too early if I had stayed in downtown Baltimore.

I will say this - the airport shuttle worked well, both coming from the airport and going back in the morning. My room was certainly serviceable - quiet and comfortable. I didn't really use any of the airport amenities due to lack of time, other than room service. As is often the case with a captive-audience location, the food was mediocre and overpriced.

The hotel imposed a charge of $12.95 for me to use wireless internet in the room, although I am a "silver elite" member of Marriott's frequent traveler program. When I checked out at an ungodly early hour I mentioned my dissatisfaction with this to the clerk on duty. Initially she told me that hotel policy was that only gold and platinum members got internet for free. But a few minutes later, as I was just about to get on the shuttle, she came running out and gave me a new bill with the internet charge deleted.

At that moment this hotel went way up in my estimation. I appreciate that the desk clerk had discretion to make this change and that the hotel had hired someone for this position who used good judgment to keep the business of a regular Marriott customer. I don't know if she was actually acting consistent with hotel policy, but in my opinion she deserves a medal for excellent customer service. I rarely have to stay at an airport hotel but I'd come back to this one just because a great staff can do a lot to iron out the wrinkles of an otherwise mediocre property.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JCTfromDEN
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were staying at another Marriott property on a Sunday night before a flight and wanted just a small bite on a Sunday evening. Since our hotel did not have a restaurant and we didn't want to search for one, we remembered that the BWI Airport Marriott had a bar. We stopped in at the bar and asked if they had a bar menu. The bartender indicated that we could order from the bar menu or the restaurant menu even though the restaurant was closed -- very helpful! We ordered some appetizers, cocktails, and salads that were delicious. The bartender was the perfect server as well. We were very contented.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank librarian73
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Friendly and helpful staff... everyone says hello! My king bed room was luxurious, super clean , and smell free... the only negative was the crack in the bathroom sink. Also has 40" flat screen, , dorm fridge... open plan bar in lobby, a starbucks location in the AM.... huge parking lot and looks like they do a lot of banquet business.... pricey at $181/nite ...AAA rate....especially with a cracked sink! Platinum members get breakfast at concierge floor and light snack at night....

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Led by General Manager Willy Wright, this airport property is truly superior. Upon arrival, the Front Desk folks met me with warm smiles and great attitudes. They gave me a very spacious, over-sized room on the Concierge Level, though the Concierge Lounge was not open at any time, during my all-too-brief stay. I was met by a fabulous array of healthy goodies, including apples, bananas, gluten-fee crackers with Mediterranean spread, yummy Go Macro bars, a couple of juice and/or tea drinks, and a huge bag of gluten-free Exotic Chips. (For those not familiar with this brand, they are blue potato, kabocha pumpkin, and carrot chips---quite addictive---and much better for you than plain old potato chips!) Two of the excellent aspects of staying at this property were the bathtub and the bed. The bathtub was wonderfully deep and the bed very comfortable. But by far, besides meeting Willy Wright, the highlight of my stay was the crab soup in their Champions Sports Bar. This award-winning concoction has real crab in every bite of this thick, cream soup. Don't order a whole lot of other food, though, because the soup is so rich you won't have room. This crab soup was one of the best soups I have had on the road---ever! All told, it was a very enjoyable stay that was just to short. The GM's attitude of "Service first" is reflected in every aspect of their guest-centric culture. It is impossible to stay at this property and not feel taken care of. As USA TODAY's First Road Warrior of the Year, I travel a lot. Take it from me, if you're looking for a property near BWI, this Marriott property is well-worth considering.

Room Tip: I always prefer a higher floor away from the elevator; that way, I get a little more exercise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business