“Needs a redo, staff need training, lots of small problems=Bad 2.5 stars”

BWI Airport Marriott
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Hamilton, New Jersey
“Needs a redo, staff need training, lots of small problems=Bad 2.5 stars”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Needed a night in the Baltimore area last weekend. Originally I booked the Fairfield Inn downtown using a free stay certificate. Long story short..too much traffic coupled with too many one-way streets, the inability to see the driveway before I passed it, and then it being totally full on second and third tries, I called Marriott Reservations from the car and changed to BWI Airport Marriott.

Room was ready at about 11:30 or so. They call it a parlor room, but in actuality it was a large, corner king with a sofa and chair. (In my ex-Marriott associate world, our parlor rooms had murphy beds, but i digress.)

No toiletries present and there were accessible outlets other than near the desk. The ONE plug near the bed was BEHIND and I wasn't about to dig to reach it. Lamps are NOT the ones with plugs on the bases. Lots of popcorn behind sofa. Called housekeeping to get that fixed.

Asked for an extension cord, got one about 2 feet long....I said that wasn't long enough so he did get me another. (Had no intention of sitting at the desk.)

As for meals, I tried to eat in the lobby lounge, could not get waited on. Moved to restaurant and was seated in a lousy area (i was the ONLY person there...with at least 3 servers standing around...) Server made excuses and said the bartender in the lobby was too busy to take orders from lobby lounge tables because "all the teenagers are ordering coffee?":rolleyes:

Finally, I walked out of there into Champions, the sports bar at the hotel. It was slightly dirty-needs a thorough dusting and vacuuming. Basic bar food is hard to foul up so there no issue until I asked for the check...which was presented withOUT a pen to sign.

They actually did turndown...at least they closed the drapes and straightened the bed as opposed to a random fling of chocolates. I tried to sleep-took FOUR hours to finally get to sleep, around 2:30 in the morning! This was THE WORST bed ever in 1100 nights in Marriott-branded properties. Too soft and too hard at the same time.(I describe it as putting a feather bed topper over a couple of speed bumps. The mattress in that room needs to be flipped or, more likely, thrown away. I wound up sleeping at the foot, parallel to the headboard for about 4 hours, in 20 minute increments.

Before retiring, I ordered a continental breakfast with a "basket of assorted breakfast pastries.." When it arrived, the coffee, juice and milk were there along with..... TWO SLICES OF WHITE TOAST! That's all...I asked the server..she said "this is what they gave me..." I sent it back, called the MOD and wound up with the proper items.

The stay was a disaster. Had any of those things happened on their own, it would not have been so terrible. The hotel needs a redo, the room was NOT cleaned properly at the outset and it's tired and worn (though I have been in worse places.) A few of the staff are nice, but several of them need more training...actually the whole place probably needs a refresher course in customer service.....I got a lot of blank stares and "I don't knows..." or, from the room service person who delivered my food..."that's what they gave me.." HUH? Servers need to KNOW the menu...and make sure the order is CORRECT before leaving the kitchen. There is NO excuse....

Will most likely NOT return....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank cruisermeg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Delaware
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Even though we had gotten this hotel at a very good rate by Naming Our Own Price on Priceline.com for a 4* Baltimore airport area they allowed us to park our car for 2 weeks for only $5/day saving us more than what we paid for the excellent spacious room. (The daily garage would have charged $12/day). The hotel shuttle bus runs every 15 minutes, we had no problems at all. Staying here one night before the long tiring flights to Europe made the trip much easier. The food in the hotel's sports bar restaurant was good too. Ask about the specific airport location where the hotel bus picks you up when you return to get to your car at the hotel.

Room Tip: We always call the hotel's front desk a few days before arrival and ask for a quiet location, ou...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Waynesboro, Pa.
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel that offers everything one would need for an overnight stay before leaving for the airport. The rooms are lovely and roomy ~ the staff is very accomodating ~ the food is wonderful in any of the restaurants. We love the lounge where you can order food from 3 or 4 menus. Shuttle service was prompt ~ both leaving and returning ~ location is convenient also. We love the Marriott hotel family is this one is a real winner!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Ridgeley, WV
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Positive first: Beautiful lobby. Great coffee served in the lobby for a price. Wonderful location; minutes from airport.

HOWEVER. . . . we booked our room through Priceline, and got an average deal. (You know the system.) We stayed because we had a very early flight from BWI the next morning. We were assigned a room that apparently was an "adjoining room." ??? The result: NO SLEEP! At 3:30 in the morning, we were still listening to the "adjoining room's " television, there baby crying, children screaming, and able to hear their toilet functions. . . .yes, you could hear them pee! Gross! It was awful! When I told the host at the counter the next morning, I was offered a "free cup of coffee from the kiosk." (Coffee was great, by the way, but not sure if it the value was equal to losing a night's sleep.)

The ONLY way I would stay again would be to get a steal of a deal and specifically know that I would not be assigned to that type of room again.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-adjoining room; otherwise, noise level is unbelievable. Parking is available for $5.0...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cantrells
los angeles, ca
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I have stayed at numerous airport hotels and this has to up there with one of the best. They seem to really get the business traveler and their needs. The hotel lobby and common areas are updated, bright and modern. The shuttle from the hotel to the airport runs every 15 minutes - what flexibility for the business traveler! Breakfast was fine at the hotel restaurant and I much appreciated the early check-in after a red-eye flight. I also was able to check out late due to business commitments which the staff was happy to accommodate. The rooms themselves were comfortable and clean. The hotel's bar serves real food late which is much appreciated. Would recommend this Marriott to fellow business travelers looking to stay close to the airport - wish all airport hotels were this good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Visited in February 2012, when flying into Baltimore. Marriott right at the airport and just a quick 3 minute drive from the terminal. First glance at the property and you wonder if the property has been updated as the building is older. The lobby is updated nicely, but the rooms need some updating. Was surprised to find the old-styled tube TVs in the rooms, rather than the newer flat screens, and while not every hotel has updated their electronics, this was after all a full-service Marriott. We stay at Marriott properties a lot, and found this one to be lacking and in need of updating. There is really no food within walking distance, so be prepared with a rental car or to eat in the hotel restaurant. If in Baltimore, I may stay here again, but I'm not entirely certain. Marriott - this is another hotel that needs an update! Lobbies are nice, but that isn't where the guests stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The hotel needs some serious updating. It got the job done but definitely not what I was expecting for a Marriott. Still using beat up tube TV's and everything seemed out of date except for the front desk and outside. The WIFI was free but instructions were cleverly buried beneath the higher speed WIFI ads that lead you to believe it's not free. I fell for it and ordered the $12 WIFI because I really needed an internet connection.
Bottom line: The hotel isn't worth over $100 per night. Here are way better hotels for a lot less money in the area.

• Stayed March 2012