“It's an airport hotel - but they do a great job”

The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Reviewed May 22, 2010

I travel to Baltimore lots for work, and for anyone who has done the same on repeated, prolonged basis, you know that the hotel situation is quite poor. Inner Harbor hotels are run down and yet very expensive. Not a lot of choice otherwise.

So this is an airport hotel - it is what it is. But I do think it says something that I am willing to stay here and commute into my client every day instead of staying in Inner Harbor.

Staff is welcoming and attentive, the rooms are clean. Heavenly Beds. Room service is not great, and the area is...well, it's the airport area. But like I said, I stay here and commute the 20 minutes into Baltimore everyday when I am on location, instead of staying at one of the tired, overpriced places in Inner Harbor.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed May 21, 2010

I stayed here for two nights. It was to have been three, but my flight had mechanical problems and my arrival was delayed by 24 hours. The hotel did hold my room, though I had to pay for it - really, no alternative since the facility was fully-booked for the rest of the week.

On arrival, I was greeted professionally and quickly checked-in. I was assigned to a king-sized Westin work-out room, so had to sign a waiver about using the equipment (of which I had no interest). The room was clean a decorated in the suble, subdued modern way. However, a huge treadmill occupied most of the floorspace beside the bed. Thus, there was no place to sit except the bed or in the one and only chair at the desk. The desk was useless after sunset since there was no lighting. I did my work at the bedside near the night stand where there was light.

The room was comfortable and quiet otherwise. It was equipped with the usual needed items. There was a mini-bar, but I had no key or interntion to use it. There was a safe in the closet. The bath featured a two nozzle shower that was nice.

Since I did not know the meal arrangements for the conference I was attending, I chose to order a room service breakfast. It was served exactly on time by a courteous waiter; However, the omelet I ordered was both burned and cold, as were the side serving of potatoes. The milk was cold though.

I had a nice box lunch at the conference, but by the end of the day after two days of travel and meetings without a normal meal, I was looking forward to a hot supper. The touted Luminous Restaurant, however, was closed for a private function. I was referred to the bar, where "meal" selections amounted to appetizers that were small and expensive. Since there are no other restaurants in the area (a hotel district), over 100 people from my conference were seen to be standing around the bar waiting for a seat and an inadequate meal.

There was no free Internet anywhere in the hotel.

The "Sundries" store had nothing except popcorn and fewer than a dozen cans of pop the entire time I was there. In addition, the only general newspaper available the entire time I was there, including the morning I left, was a Monday edition of the USA Today.

A van / shuttle, shared with the adjacent Sheraton, picks you up from the airport (and returns you there). The first van I rode in had no safe brakes and a failing transmission. The second one seemed okay.

In short, I was very disappointed with this property. I will not stay there again unless I have a car and can go somewhere else to find food.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2010

This was the last leg of our DC/east coast trip with teens. Got a great rate on price line (about $70 with all fees).

Got there late (10pm) and the front desk was S L O W. If are not a frequent starwood guest dont expect quick service. Our kids were anxious to use the pool and we found out it had just closed.

Also there were no 2 bed rooms (which I am sure are guaranteed on priceline) and the person was none so friendly about telling us - (had that "priceline folks are the bottom of the barrel" look I have seen before). To their credit their was a large wedding there for the weekend.

the room was your basic dark wood supposedly trendy decor. Nice bathroom.

wifi was $13 so couldnt use that (with a good conscience!). The shuttle is convenient even though the wedding party had literally booked 50% of the shuttles (which the front desk gladly told us). the person at the front desk when we checked out was very nice (tall young man with glasses).

Note also with shuttle, they go in the order you board and I know we boarded first and there were some folks who missed their train due to this. Allow 20 minutes plus for where ever you are going. The do drop off at Amtrack also.

overall a relatively good hotel for the price and airport accomodations.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Just spent a night at the Westin prior to a flight. The hotel is just over two years old and lovely in a minimal way. The room was large and exceptionally clean. My real complaint was the hidden costs. The night before we had been at a Comfort Inn …a simple economy hotel, but it had free WIFI, free local calls, free in room coffee and free breakfast at 3/4 he cost of the Westin. At the Westin WIFI was $2.95 a minute, LOCAL calls were $1.50 a minute, and the bottle of generic water they nicely put in the room was $3. Oh, there was free in room coffee, but no free breakfast. You would think that a hotel that claims to be 4-star and charges accordingly could give you free local calls and free WIFI (heck, every bagel shop seems to offer free WIFI!). It is just plain irritating to spend $100 a night for a room at an airport hotel and to find that it would cost you $1.50 to call the airline ... assuming you are one of the six people in this country who don't appear to have a cell phone.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 124C41NewEngland
Reviewed April 3, 2010

The pickup van took more than an hour to arrive. When I asked the driver for help with my bags, he said, "what's wrong with you?" He refused to move, and the next morning, when he was loading the van, he loaded others' bags but refused to touch mine. I did nothing to provoke such rudeness. There is something deeply wrong at this hotel.

6  Thank Locofovo
Reviewed March 13, 2010

At first, my wife and I fell in love with the Westin, its great food, clean modern hotel, and open venue. However, the experience did not meet our expectations.

- If you have yet to sign your contract, include every detail within the agreement, price per person, special food or drink selections, site and rental fees, number of bars (we were promised 1 per 50 guests and only received 2 for 250 guests). Our wedding coordinators were replaced three times. I only discovered this news when the front desk informed me they no longer worked there. While our latest coordinator, Janeen, was wonderful, I think it could have transitioned better.

- If you have signed your contract, inquire about the additional security. Unfortunately this hotel is quite vulnerable to theft (no hotel is totally secure, but what bothered me most is how the hotel managed the situation). Security was not responsive, the desk did not want to file a police report, their insurer has never followed up (after six months), their assistant manager is consistently absent from both properties. Not only did I feel like Management did not take the incident seriously, but I was treated as if it was my fault.

- During the reception, have a friend confirm hors doerves are served during the entire cocktail hour and the bars are disassembled after the event (one was broken down 30 min early after they ran out of certain selections!)

- We were promised Starpoints for every dollar spent on our reception, but only received 6800 (which is equivalent accrual for 8 nights to a Gold SPG) for a $35000 reception.

Your wedding should be perfect and your vendors should give every moment of attention it deserves. This is the only vendor I could not recommend, which is unfortunate because I travel frequently and spent 45+ days in Starwood properties per year.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SPGTraveler1
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Can't complain about the price... Airtran put us up for the night after our flight was cancelled. The hotel staff immediately put extra staf at the desk as soon as they were notified about the referals. We were checked in in no time. Room was nice and well kept. The restaurant was a different experience - service was slow and spotty - alot of people at the bar and it seemed they were the priority. The food was generally good but a bit pricey. I would make my first choice the Sheraton and the Westin a close second.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family