“High end property on its decline”

The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Used to be a great property(clean and well kept) and I don't understand if changes occur in management, or budgets, etc., however the property is showing age and upkeep seems to be an issue. My recent stay showed hallway sconce covers damaged, debris on the floor for two days, my room had scotch tape in the corners, dried food? on pictures, light fixtures, etc.. I booked via online booking site so my rate was fair, however I would be upset if a hotel priority member paying full posted rates, as this hotel is now sub par with other 4+ star properties.

3  Thank Walter B

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stopped here on our trip heading farther south, and this hotel far exceeded our expectations. I'd say it was a 4- to 4 1/2-star hotel for the price of a 2-star.

As a Starwoods (Sheraton) member, we were put on the seventh floor, or a club room. It was particularly nice, with many extras in the room. The bedding was quite comfortable, giving us one of the best night's sleep, in a hotel, that we've had in a long time. A nice bathroom, with a tub and twin showerhead. The front-desk check-in agent was super, repeating her name to us over and over and telling us if we had any problems or questions at all to contact her immediately.

The upscale restaurant-bar downstairs was fun, for fancy dinners or simply appetizers and drinks. (We spent more for an hour and a half there than we did for our one-night room rate.)

The only slight criticism I'd offer is the hotel advertises free Wi-Fi; turns out there's a slight charge for that. But I'd definitely stay here again, and this hotel will make me think about other Westins for future travels.

Room Tip: Become a Starwoods member, if you're not already, before making your reservation. It's free...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Have stayed before and remember it being a great hotel. I LOVE the gym- huge, open space with lots of equipment (good cardio, nice free weights, bosu instability balls, balls, as well as nautilus equipment) as well as a well kept pool. Wait staff in dining room could not be more helpful or gracious and the woman who drive the shuttle to the airport was super friendly. Only things keeping me from giving them 5 stars are the unfriendly front desk staff when I checked in and the next morning when myself and other guests couldn't get our room keys to work in the gym door the next morning. And the rooms were nice, but the curtains were falling down in my room- the metal rods keeping them up were bent and looked as if were about to collapse. Felt as if there wasn't a lot of TLC to keep the rooms up. Still very nice, but not up to Westin standards. I would stay again, because the rates are amazing (and hotwire has this hotel a lot) for the quality. Just thinking the dining room service manager could give some good pointers to the front desk manager.

1  Thank mjr06
WestinBWI, Manager at The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

We are very pleased to hear about your wonderful experience. Thank you for taking the time to give feedback regarding your experience. Your comment was shared with everyone including the Front Desk and Houskeeping to avoid these issues in the future. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

The Westin at BWI Airport is very modern and sleek. The rooms are nice and bathroom is very large with double headed shower. Beds are very comfortable. The curtains darken the room so well that I over slept and had to ask for a late check out. We did not eat at the hotel but from what I saw others eating, it looked delicious. We received a very good rate with our Island Rays membership. I highly recommend The Westin.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
WestinBWI, Manager at The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for your recent comments in Trip Advisor! Please keep in mind for your next visit. We look forward to having you join us on your next to the BWI area.

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time staying at the property and both times I'm underwhelmed with the service aspect. Hotel itself is fine no major complaints. Free shuttle to airport is convenient. Problem is with service:

Last night when entire BWI shut down due to a lightning strike I booked with points on SPG app in my iPhone. Upon getting to the hotel I and about a dozen others had to wait for a long time as our reservations didn't show up in their computers despite having a confirmation #. I waited nearly 2hrs all the while wandering if thy were going to run out of room in front of me as masses of stranded travelers checked in. Lots of people had the same issue. Staff was apologetic enough but not proactive in handling the issue.

No upgrade was offered. Ok SPG gold. When I asked about comped Internet as due to the issues they finally said fine. However none was actually provided and when I tried to call the front desk later to inquire I spent 10min on hold and finally hung up frustrated.
Would prob not stay again

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Paramenace

Thank you for your recent comments in Trip Advisor! Please keep in mind for your next visit that we will do anything we are able to meet your expectations. Due to the bad weather we had system error that caused delay on our reservations to be uploaded in the hotel system. We appreciate your patience and understanding. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this hotel was excellent, from the location to the customer service. Expected there to be more late dining options in the area, there were none. But the restaurant in the hotel serves food until midnight! Very nice hotel, I highly recommend staying here after a football game. It's about a 30 minute drive down the Baltimore Washington parkway or you can take a car service there from FedEx field for a flat rate of $70.

• Stayed: September 2013

We are very proud of our hotel and very much appreciate your comments. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

this was a business trip. I can't believe in this day and age they charge thirteen dollars a day for internet. Would not stay again. Price for hotel is way to high. Twenty minutes from inner harbour. Restaurant in hotel is very expensive

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback. We offer complimentary internet access in our Lobby and Restaurant area. Sorry for the inconvenience this caused you. Take care and thank you for staying with us.