“Huge disappointment, worst two nights in years.” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Altamont, TN
“Huge disappointment, worst two nights in years.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

My past experience with Westin was as a high-end hotel in downtown areas, but this experience with the Westin BWI has completely destroyed that image. I arrived around 3:30 pm, and was rewarded with an excellent room choice, which included a quiet, low traffic area. The desk clerk was able to put me in a nice corner room, though the view was of a roof below me, but that wasn't important to me. After settling in, I went downstairs to the nicely appointed, nearly empty restaurant. I ordered a crab bisque. When it arrived, I asked for bread to go with it (I thought I would have gotten that, or at least crackers, automatically, but not so.) It took some time to get, and although they were three lovely and warm grain rolls, I was halfway through my bisque before they arrived, even though I was trying hard to eat slow. The bread came with no butter, so I had to ask for that. That came quickly, but they were balls of butter as hard as marbles. I tried to put the butter in the warm roll so that it would melt a little, but meanwhile my soup was getting colder and colder. It was delicious, but it would have been enjoyed more had it been warmer and bread and butter had been provided at the same time. But that's just the beginning of the story.
After returning to the room and reading for several hours, I finally slipped under the 250 count sheets (not something I would think they would brag about on their website, but they do), and they felt as rough as canvas, as if no fabric softener was used. Then I discovered a crease in something underneath the sheets that created a lump that created a welt on my skin. I tried to readjust the crease but it kept coming back. I moved away from it toward the center of the bed, which helped a little, but then things moved again, because these were flat sheets and not contour, so they slid all over the place. I woke up once an hour because the welts forming on my skin. Then, at 3:30 in the morning the alarm clock buzzer come on. Now, I know that's not the hotel's fault, I should have checked it, but it's the little things like that that drive a guest nuts. I pushed every button I could feel in the dark, hoping I had shut it off permanently, before finally drifting back to sleep a half hour later. Then, at 4:12 am, the television suddenly came on. This was even more of a mystery, as I hadn't even turned the TV on that evening! I managed to get it turned off, vowing to check for any alarm on the TV in the morning. It took another 45 minutes to fall asleep after that. By then I was so exhausted I finally fell into a deep sleep, and fortunately, it was an atypical day when I didn't have to get up early, my event was in the afternoon, so I was able to sleep past nine. On my way out of the room, I asked the maid to do whatever was necessary to fix the creases and lumps in my bed, but I'm not sure she spoke enough English to understand me.
That evening, after a hot bath to try to relax, I crawled back into bed, only to see that the exact same lump was there. I stripped the bed and found the culprit was an mattress cover that had a small contour corner, but three had to deteriorated so badly as to be ineffective and one had completely dissolved as to be useless. Beneath that was a plastic cover encasing the mattress, which didn't breath and accounted for some temperature discomforts I had also experienced, not to mention all the slippage. I called downstairs and shortly afterward, a housekeeper came with a replacement, which, unfortunately, was completely flat with no contour to hold onto the corners at all!! That was going to present the exact same problem, but all the maid said was she'd talk to her boss in the morning, which, of course, didn't help me at all. It was another night of waking up every hour and trying to flatten the creases enough to sleep. I had carefully checked the clock radio to make sure the alarm wasn't on, but couldn't find alarm on the TV, so I just assumed maybe it was a stray remote signal from the room next door. Unfortunately, at 4:12, the TV went on again. It took another half hour to get back to sleep, and again, I finally was so exhausted I slept till 9:00. Thank goodness I had an afternoon flight! I carefully went through the TV settings again, and did finally find where you could set an alarm, but it was OFF, so I still have no idea why it kept coming on (believe me, the remote was a LONG way off from me, so it was not something I did!). I mentioned it to the desk clerk on my way out, so I hope that Room 301 will get straightened out.
The final problem was I didn't seem to have any control over the room temp. The first night, there was no blower on, nice and quiet and an excellent ambient temperature. The next night, there was a fan blowing cold air, but it wasn't controlled by the room thermostat at all, and it kept blowing all night long, cold air right across the bed. It's a wonder I didn't get sick.
The last time I had this much trouble sleeping in a hotel (which is about 100 nights a year) was when I had to stay at a Comfort Inn in Phoenix because my vehicle broke down, and there there was a spring actually poking through the mattress! I'd be hard-pressed to say that I would ever stay in a Westin again, and certainly only when someone else is paying for it. I certainly wouldn't risk it on my own dime!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Herndon, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

The hotel staff was very helpful. The room frig was not really a frig so the hotel brought one up. Room service was ok with a $23.00 hamburger, and the pool was only open at 10 am on the day we departed. Fridays the pool is only open from 7 am to 10 am despite it being listed as an amenity. I was only there for one day and picked the hotel among many because of the pool.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Drjack183
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here for one night as a stopover on a long drive. We were looking forward to the heavenly beds, high quality bed linens, above average bathroom and a good nights sleep. We got all of that with the added bonus of an incredibly gourmet dinner in a relaxing and upscale setting. We are semi-foodies and we were shocked at the quality of the food and the varied menu. I had the grilled Caesar which was amazing in both flavor and presentation! I also had the lump crab cakes with sautéed spinach and lemon aioli. They far surpassed my expectations!!! They were fresh, handmade and cooked perfectly. Also a great presentation! My husband had the Old Bay wings and caprese salad - also fantastic.!!! Kids menu was also terrific !! We will definitely stay here again and plan to fine as well!!!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
fmayes, General Manager at The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your stay at Westin BWI. You experienced the Westin brand at its best. The Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Shower, as you can attest, are as wonderful as advertised. As well the food offerings in Luminous, the hotel’s award winning restaurant, are both trendy and tasty. We appreciate you staying with us and truly hope that you will return in the future to again experience the rejuvenating affects of Westin BWI.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Attended a number of corporate conferences here, and the Westin is probably the nicest hotel in the BWI hotel corridor. Great facilities, staff, and the food was excellent. Never a problem. Its still pretty new too, in great condition, and tucked back away from the road to give it a more "got away from work" feel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
fmayes, General Manager at The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of the rejuvenating Westin BWI. We appreciate the nice comments as we try to make every guest’s stay memorable. Our secluded location ensures that you don’t feel as if you’re at an airport hotel but rather a quiet, comfortable hid-away from the rigors of everyday life. At Westin we value your well-being and here we do our best to live up to the promise of a comfortable, restful stay, whether you are staying for business or pleasure. Thank you for your patronage and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Baltimore/BWI area.

Valdosta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed one night prior to a 6-month deployment to Afghanistan. The staff was extremely helpful all around. My flight the next day did not depart until very late in the evening and the staff coordinated for a very late checkout (4:00 PM). Also, I was trying to finish up a few things before I left requiring me to print, sign, scan and email some documents home. Adrian Adkins at the desk was very accommodating and courteous in helping me get that done. Also, the shuttle service was great. They will take you anywhere nearby and pick you up. I got dinner and a movie the first night and then the next afternoon, Bill Rush, the driver, recommended both a barber and restaurant and dropped me off and picked me up. This was a fantastic experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
First, thank you for your service to our country. We’re proud to have service men such as you ensuring our safety and our way of life. Next, we appreciate you personally mentioning some of the outstanding service providers at the front desk and in our transportation department. It will be my pleasure to personally thank Adrian and Bill for their service to you. I don’t need to say anything more than you did about our accommodating associates and the service we provide here at the rejuvenating Westin BWI. It is our goal to provide a personalized experience that creates pleasant memories and builds loyalty. Thank you again for your service to our country and your patronage of Westin. Godspeed and we will see you upon your return.

Columbus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at The Westin at BWI weekly for over 10 months and the staff was exceptional. Malkia Williams and Fran keep the Club Lounge immaculate and make visitors feel appreciated. Front desk staff is very friendly and always remember to include a personal touch. Appearance and cleanliness of the hotel and rooms are immaculate.

Room Tip: Rooms with the King beds, corner rooms have the best views.