“Excellent Crabcakes at G&M”

G & M Restaurant & Lounge
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I go to this place every time I visited Baltimore. They give you these large all meat crab cakes, which taste very good.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,883)

Reviewed May 23, 2010

A Tuesday lunchtime and torrential rain and a crowded parking lot . . but quickly got a space.
I love anything crab - the G & M crab soup and crabcakes did not disappoint. Both were absolutely delicious! Bonus - very generous serving of crab cake.

The cakes were definitely in my top five - my number one is a seaside shack in Pozuelo,Puerto Rico.

Reviewed May 5, 2010

I was not impressed. Very non-descript building on the outside. No problem with that. Many great restaurants looks bad on the outside.

My waiter seemed to be disappointed, Not sure if it was because I was by myself or because I did not order any alcohol. Anyway, I ordered the shrimp. The menu did not say they were butterflied or I would not have ordered them. First, that salad was refrigerated and everything was limp. The dressing was OK, nothing special.

The shrimp was just OK. I don't like butterflied. The slaw was sweet - not my favorite. The onion rings appeared to be frozen. I was ready to get out of there. I don't write too many negative reviews, but this place was not for me.

Judging by the crowd on a Monday night, though, they must be doing something right.

Reviewed April 29, 2010

Even though it was 7 PM and a Thursday night, the parking lot was packed solid with cars circling to pounce as soon as a spot opened. We had about a 40 minute wait along with a huge crowd of others. We were all entertained watching a tow truck rush up to a cab parked across the street and then race down the street with it falling off the back. Handwritten signs all over G&M said not to park across the street or you would be towed. The cab driver wasn't at G&M, he was in the liquor store across the street and he was not happy. Don't park across the street - there is a guy on the roof of the liquor store spotting and calling in the tow truck to legally steal your car and hold it for ransom if you park there.

Despite the mob scene, the staff at G&M were friendly and surprisingly calm. Our waiter was pleasant and reasonably attentive, although he seemed to have one or two more tables that he should have had. We sat in an upstairs loft that was very nice. The location near the bar meant a ridiculous number of TV's. Who tells restaurant owners that to put TV's in. I've never met anyone who likes them. Nothing can ruin a restaurant faster than a TV. Fortunately, the food was so good, that even a TV couldn't wreck the experience.

The crab cakes were excellent, but with Maryland crab cakes, this is a very relative thing. They are certainly large, but they do have filler. For those who judge crab cakes by how little filler they have, will probably find fault with them. That being said, they are not the least bit bready and are extremely flavorful. Despite being a stickler for filler-less crab cakes, I had to admit they were excellent in both taste, texture and were filled with meat. I've lived in Maryland almost 40 years and would consider them one of the better Maryland crab cakes that I've had. The other dishes should not be overlooked. The Greek salad dressing was delicious as were the side dishes (I had chunky applesauce and coleslaw).

It located in a rather industrial looking area, but is extremely easy to get to. As mentioned earlier, the parking was bad at 7 PM and a Thursday night. I'd hate to see it on a Saturday night. Overall, definitely worth the 45 minute drive that I had to get there. I think I will likely go at least one more time.

Reviewed March 31, 2010

G & M certainly has the best crab cakes I've ever had!!
One is a meal..lots of crab with not all the fluff.
Nice atmosphere, great service. Recommended by all
the locals...has to be good!!