“Wonderful”

G & M Restaurant & Lounge
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

We went with friends for anniversary. Wait time not too bad. Everything we ordered was great. The portion was good for the price. Would go again.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Seafood is awesome, the ambience of the restaurant is very nice. I have not been in the restaurant for some time since the refurbished. It looks wonderful!! Food wonderful and staff were great too. Thank you!!!

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely outstanding crab cakes. I eat seafood a lot and this is one of the best cakes I've had. I ordered the one cake dinner and it was a heaping mount of jumbo lump crab with just enough filler to keep it together. Other dinners look great too. This is not a black tie required restaurant but a very clean family friendly atmosphere. Highly recommended if your in the area.

1  Thank Doug S
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stumbled across this place about 8 years ago while on a business trip and had an incredible meal. In fact this past Christmas, I had a shipment of crab cakes sent to my daughter and her family. While driving from FL to RI this past week, my girlfriend and I found ourselves in the area at 9:45 PM. After telling her what a great meal I had there before, we decided to stop. Since it was a Wed night and about an hour before closing, I wasn't too surprised that there were only a couple of other customers....in retrospect that should have been a clue. As we were looking over the menu, a couple was seated at the table right next to us, despite ample tables within the same seating area. I also had to go retrieve a jacket from the car for my GF as the temperature inside was below comfortable. We ordered the fire shrimp appetizers which were actually very tasty. Unfortunately, that was the highlight of the meal. Remembering how big and delicious the crab cakes were 8 years ago, I ordered a single crab cake with sides consisting of coleslaw and "whipped potatoes". My GF ordered prime rib, steamed vegetables and a salad. The waitress brought rolls that were hardly fresh. They were crumbly and tasted like they were several days old. The prime rib looked and tasted like no other prime rib either of us has ever had. It was basically an over-cooked steak that was extremely tough. Her vegetables were tasteless. On a bright note, the salad was decent. My crab cake wasn't bad, but not the flavor explosion I had experienced 8 years earlier. It was also smaller than the ones I had had before. The "whipped potatoes" looked and tasted as if they had been scraped off the bottom of the pan they had been sitting in all day. They were hard and uneatable. The coleslaw was bland. If the food wasn't bad enough, the waitress made herself scarce throughout the meal so our drink glasses spent most of the meal empty. I realize a lot of things can transpire in 8 years but the degradation of G&M restaurant is really sad. I don't know if they changed ownership or what the problem is, but I can't see this place being open 8 years from now if it continues this downhill slide.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Have lived in the Baltimore area for 8.5 years. Always trying to find a great crab cake. I kept hearing how this was the best or second best around. Coming home from the airport with the family we decided to finally give G&M a shot. I wanted it to be great.

Totally underwhelmed. The atmosphere was average at best. It was cold and loud. We ordered the crab cakes of course. They were large. They were meaty. They were tasteless. The only real flavor I could pick up was a metallic taste that someone in another review mentioned. I likened it to a kind of dye flavor, but metallic might be more accurate. But for $28, I ate them. I also ordered the cream of crab soup. Not very good. Thick and lifeless. Not much crab.

The good: My son ordered the children's cheeseburger. It was huge and it was great. My wife and I both said we should have all ordered the cheeseburger from the children's menu. It was fantastic.

I'm sure at some point, and maybe even sometimes now, this place was great. But it seems to be living on a reputation rather than in reality. I usually would say that I'd give a place another shot because it's not really fair to evaluate a place on one meal. But I don't think I'd go back. Especially at those prices, except for a burger, maybe.

1  Thank ajworkman