“Had To Go Back”

G & M Restaurant & Lounge
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I discovered G & M on this trip to the Baltimore/D.C./Annapolis area and it was so good I went back for my last dinner (it's near BWI airport). The first time, I had a broiled seafood platter with a crab cake. It included shrimp, scallops, white fish (cod?) and crab cakes. Everything was delicious. The place was packed so I ate at the bar and the baseball game on the TV provided good entertainment. The service was good. Not cheap, but worth it.

The second time, I had a half dozen raw oysters, which were nice and tasty, and two crab cakes. The cakes were loaded with lump crab and are probably the best crab cakes I've ever eaten. The service this time was fair, but I think the waitress was fairly new (at least I hope that was the case). This place is a keeper.

There are newer reviews for G & M Restaurant & Lounge

Reviewed May 21, 2012

I visited this restaurant after the Preakness and it was PACKED. It was over an hour wait and the hostess told me that their take out counter next door offered the same menu. So, rather than wait and/or hover for a seat at the bar, I took her advice. The take out place offered fast service and I was able to get an order of crab cakes to go in pretty short order. As an added bonus, there was a liquor store across the street where I was able to get something better than water to go with dinner.

After getting back to my hotel room, I dug in to the second best crab cakes I've ever tasted (Loconi's in San Francisco still being #1.) The cakes were HUGE, filled with really big lumps of crab and barely held togehter by the least amount of filler necessary. They definitely lived up to the hype. If you can, just do the take out, get some wine from across the street and enjoy life.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Hadn't eaten here in a few years, but was nearby and decided to go-excellent decision! They have extensively remodeled, but even that is not as stupendous as the food, Sweet crabcakes, no filler, about a pound to pound and a half of crab/crabcake platter with choice of two sides. My husband had filet of trout with crab- neither of us could finish even half. Service was efficient and very pleasant.Don't miss this pick of Baltimore's best crab.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Whenever we are in the Baltimore/D.C area (sadly only a couple of times a year) we make it a point to dine at G & M. They have a HUGE menu, but we are focused on just one thing...CRAB CAKES. Huge cakes loaded with big lumps of meat. I have never seen the like of their lump crab meat. Makes other restaurants' offerings look like miniature hockey pucks. Sides (between the two of us we had baked potato, onion rings and pickled beets) are OK but not particularly memorable. Two dinners plus three beers...tab was under $50. Excellent value for this quality.
Our server was great. The place is huge, and turnover is constant, but you need to call ahead to get you name put on their list. BTW - their parking lot (which is pretty good-sized) gets full, so you may have to cruise a bit. Don't even think of parking at one of the nearby businesses! Despite the restaurant's size, it is not excessively noisy.
We can't get to G & M as often as we'd like, but we have had their crab cakes shipped to us at home. They arrive beautifully packed and are a breeze to cook.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

We had a very disturbing experience at this restaurant. Our group went in and ordered crabcakes and oysters. The restaurant was about 70% empty since it was midafternoon during the week. One of the men in our group found a perfectly round pearl in one of his oysters. He was ecstatic! We showed it with pride to the server who asked if he could take it back to the kitchen to show them. We hesitated, but agreed. When he finally came out and was asked for the pearl he said it was thrown away!! We were upset by this action and called for the manager. He was very complacent with what happened and not the least concerned. We are certain this pearl went into someone's pocket not the trash! If this is the ethics of this restaurant, regardless of how the food was, we will never be back or recommend to family or friends. We were left with a bad taste in our mouths more from the lack of ethics and customer service than the food.

3  Thank wetri