“Wheelchair Access Notes - not recommended”

Sheraton Baltimore Washington Airport Hotel - BWI
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This review focuses on the wheelchair accessible aspects of this hotel. Refer to other reviews for information about other aspects of the hotel. In summary, the room I had was unwelcoming for a wheelchair user. Not recommended.

There is ample free handicapped parking spots, and access to the lobby is completely level through automatic sliding doors. The restaurant and bar are all on the lobby area and easily accessible.

My room was on the 3rd floor and had two queen beds and a roll-in shower. It was some distance from the elevator, and a tough push over deep pile carpet. There was adequate space to get around the room to the window and, just barely, between the two beds. The TV remote was left in easy reach and the wall mounted A/C controls were easy to operate comfortably from a chair.

The closet was easy to access but the hang rails were too high to reach from a wheelchair making it impossible to hang shirts. The work desk was pretty small but usable. The window shades were difficult to close from a wheelchair because the line was behind the work desk and out of reach. The bed was not as high as some - about two inches above my wheelchair cushion level - but still made transferring difficult.

The bathroom was large. The toilet could be easy to access for anything from a 0 to 180 degree transfers but the grab rails were mounted too high to be of any use and the toilet itself had a cheap and wobbly toilet seat that offered little purchase for transferring. There was plenty of room under the sink for knees. The shower had no wall mounted seat but guest services can provide you with a free standing shower seat on request. There was a hand held shower hose mounted on a rail and a fixed wall mounted shower hose. The towels were left on a few shelves mounted high on the wall behind the toilet. The hand towels were reachable from a wheelchair but not the bath towels. Although not related to access, I should mention that the toilet roll was almost used up and there was no spare, something we noticed only when the toilet roll was fully used up. Unforgivable in a hotel of this price. On this occasion I had a walkie with me for assistance, a wheelie travelling on their own would have challenges.

The room was in need of a face lift and with the various frustrations such as the closet and the badly designed bathroom it did not come up to the standards of modern handicapped accessible rooms. I will not be staying there again - not recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank WheelchairTravelNote
EDebsia, General Manager at Sheraton Baltimore Washington Airport Hotel - BWI, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton BWI to be your home away from home. I really appreciate your feedback and your business. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future for any of your needs. … thanks and safe travels

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Booked on line looking forward to a comfortable night sleep on a stop between DC and home in New York. Chose Sheraton for just such comfortable rest but everything went wrong:
1- Desk claimed not have the Hotel.com reservation, even as I showed them the e-mail message with confirm number.
2- After 10 minutes of haggling, manager agreed to check us on but on my credit card, pending his "checking up in things".
3- Late in the evening we were woken by pounding on the door. To our question of "who is it?", a young male voice answered: "Oops, we made a mistake"' Apparently the rooms around ours were occupied by teenagers and young people who made loud noises well into the late evening both in the rooms and the hallway.
4- Later the fire alarm went off and we were told to leave immediately and meet in the lobby avoiding the elevators. Fine, but I am a semi disabled individual and no one assisted me as I negotiated the stairs one step at a time at great discomfort.
5- In the lobby, complete chaos as apparently the right hands did not know what the left hands were doing. Apparently someone was smoking in the elevator setting off the alarm. Big deal! The fire dept came and cautioned the staff to do a better job of controlling the situation next time. Furthermore, the elevator would not reset itself even as the fire alarm had been disabled. No one is telling us how or if to get back to our rooms, until we all walked back up the stairs.
6- Next morning I phoned Hotel.com to make sure they had resolved the situation of my check in. They said they did and that they had contacted the hotel desk manager.
7- We go to check out and we are told that our credit card has been charged for the night as Hotel.com had not contacted them. WHAT A BUNCH OF INCOMPETENTS!.
As of now I still don't know if I have been charged twice.
Bottom line: Great hotel (Sheraton, of course), but the entire front office and managerial staff deserve to be fired.

Room Tip: Beware of stupid staff
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jack M
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stay here frequently for business. The hotel staff are friendly and the rooms are comfortable and clean. This week a co-worker and myself finally ate at the Olde Line Restaurant in the Hotel. The Pork Shot appetizer tasted like a cheap over cooked pork chop. She then ordered the tuna rare and got it 2 minutes of grill time away from being a can of tuna. I had the pasta and the sauce was tasteless. If you want a nice room at a good price this is the place. If you want dinner go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go for the club floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Reedell

Reviewed October 27, 2013

No complaints. The suite was clean. The king bed was very comfortable with wonderful covers and decent pillows. The view was pretty from our 5th floor windows. Toiletries were very nice. We enjoyed a wonderful meal in the restaurant. We are in the area twice a year for assemblies and would be happy to stay here every time.

Room Tip: Our suite was on the back of the building overlooking the highway and we thought it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosesonata

Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is absolutely perfect for a night's transfer from the Baltimore Airport! The first time we stayed here was due to Hotwire's Secret Rate, but this time it was a purposeful pick! And once again it was perfect! The free airport shuttle is timely, professional, & friendly. Check in is quick & helpful. The room is large, clean & comfortable. The bed is awesome & the morning shower is in a bathroom that is large, with loads of hot water! Wish we had more time to stay here!

Room Tip: I think they are all good!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Every time I'm in Baltimore I stay at the Sheraton!! The staff are all professional. The front desk guy Kenneth is always smiling, randy in the restaurant is always nice. The food is amazing and the beds are so comfy and soft. The rooms are always clean And housekeeping always puts extra coffee in my room like i ask

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Very comfortable king bed with 4 large pillows. Climate controlled. Great shower (no tub, which was more than fine with us). Three-night stay. Not generous with toiletries or towels, but then we didn't ask for more either. In-room coffee maker with Starbucks coffee provided. Booked through AAA - great rates. Enjoyed the hot tub; pool had a life-guard during open hours (a county law, I believe) -- haven't experienced that elsewhere. We used the shuttle between this Sheraton and "Michener's Pub" at the Four Points Sheraton. More than adequate continental breakfast for ~$9 included hot oatmeal. Definitely would return!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends