“Choose one of Hilton's other properties near BWI - you'll be glad you did!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Baltimore - BWI Airport
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I originally intended on staying at this hotel 4 days, and then ended up extending for 8 days total. When I booked the trip, the other BWI Hilton hotels were booked, so I chose the Doubletree - still a Hilton, right? WRONG! This is NOT what I've come to expect from Hilton! I wish I'd moved to a different (i.e., better) hotel mid-stay but I was lazy and I paid for it.

I had to have my room re-keyed literally every single night of my stay for the first 7 nights of my stay. Every evening when I returned to my room, I had to call the front desk. The actually had the nerve to ask, "Do you mind coming to the front desk?" Yes, I do mind! They eventually sent someone to the room, but only after I waited 10-15 minutes.

The first night I was there, the TV wasn't working. They claimed this was a problem with their Satellite provider, but they moved me across the hall and that TV worked fine.

Room service? Forget that this hotel even has this amenity. The service was good, but the food was horribly overcooked. Room service is supposedly open until 11pm. I called at 10:45pm and never got an answer. I wasn’t able to eat the horrible food, so I called the front desk. A credit was supposed to be applied to my account but wasn't. Another night, I tried to call room service around 10 minutes before 11 and was told, “They went home early.”

Eating in the restaurant is just as much of a crap shoot. The food there was good, but the service was absolutely horrible. I had to get up twice, just to get a server. There are a few restaurants within walking distance – well worth saving the hassle.

Like Margaritas or Daiquiris? Not at this hotel! Their bar doesn’t have a blender and cannot make frozen drinks. I’ve never heard of this with any hotel’s bar.

Parking was very limited from Thurs to Sun. During the week, parking wasn’t so bad, but those weekend days were hell! I had to park by the trash dumpster!

The “guest laundry” is one washer and one dryer for the entire hotel.

The A/C in the room was noisy but it worked. The halls were uncomfortably hot, though.
This hotel apparently does not use Hilton’s express checkout system. No account paperwork was under my door the morning of my checkout, so I was forced to stand in line at the front desk to check out – waste of time!

Next time – if the other Hilton hotels aren’t available, I’ll go with the Hyatt, rather than stay at the Doubletree again!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else! This hotel's cookies just aren't worth the hassles you'll encounter...
3  Thank turtlegal0624
AdamNovotny, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Baltimore - BWI Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear debbyem,

Thank you for the review. I am glad I had the chance to follow up with you personally. Your feedack matters! Your review is a good reminder to us that we can never let up on our goal of providing excellent service to each and every guest. Thanks for choosing Doubletree by Hilton at BWI.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed 1 night at the BWI Doubletree and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is an older building but is up to date, nice furnishings, flat screen TV, fast internet connection, and most of all it was spotless clean and very quiet. The facility must have been updated recently and it is in excellent shape, no signs of wear and tear. The staff was very polite, fast and efficient for check in and for the check out. I did not use the restaurant so I can not comment on that aspect of the hotel. The room size also seems to be a bit larger than most hotel rooms today which is another plus for the BWI Doubletree.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear LBITOM,

Thanks for the review! You hit many of our highlights: spacious rooms, modern decor, friendly service, and a clean hotel. I am glad we could surprise you. We look forward to being of service again!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I am a frequent business traveler who stays at many large brand name Hotels, so I'm not easily impressed. I stayed at this particular Hotel for four nights.

This Doubletree stands out for a number of reasons, first of which is the outstanding service from the front desk. I went down to ask for directions to the nearest Office supply store, and before I could write them down, Frei (from the front desk) had arranged for the hotel to drive me there (free of charge). She did this during a very busy time at the front desk. There was another time when my tv remote did not work, and another one was brought up within five minutes. My experience was that the service was top notch.

The room appeared to be recently updated, and looked modern and chic. I walked in and was impressed. It had a unique style that I haven't seen in many rooms. The lobby is big and has a lot of areas to meet one on one with a client where you wont be bothered.
This hotel has a restaurant and bar. I ate dinner there twice and the food was very good. The bar is big and comfortable. The service at both was outstanding.

The hotel also has a pool, basketball courts, and workout room. All well maintained and clean.

Overall, My experience here was first rate. If you are staying near the Baltimore airport, its really the only hotel to consider.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear Glenn S,

Thanks for the review! Frei is one of our best, so thank you for taking the time to recognize her. I am flattered that you would say we are "the only hotel to consider". You honor us with your praise. Thanks for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton at BWI.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Staying for one night, I was the only person checking in when I arrived at 8 pm. The lone desk clerk was on the phone when I approached the desk and did not acknowledge my presence until she finished the call three or four minutes later, although she did manage to answer at least two other calls while I stood there. When she completed the calls, I gave her my name for the reservation. She could not find the reservation, even after I told her I was pre-chedked in, while continuing to go back and forth between me and the phone. She was trying to do too many jobs and when she gave me her attention again, she suggested than the reservation might be under a different name or at a different hotel. When I told her no she went back to the phones, continuing to take reservations for future stays. Finally I was able to give her my HHonors number,and (wonder or wonders) she was able to find my reservation which was eluded her before. Only after I asked how this could be did she offer an apology. So after 15 minutes or more at the check-in desk she gave me my key and sent me on my way with no directions to the elevators or my room -- there are two wings to the building with different banks of elevators. Also she refused a room upgrade which could have been offered me as a HHonors elite level guest (I didn't much care since it was a short one night's stay by myself) and failed to provide the password for the internet. The room itself was nice: clean and comfortable. The space, including the bathroom, was ok for one, but would have been small for two or more. The management really needs to insure the reception staff is adequatly staffed with well trained people, especially if they expect them to handle check-ins and phone reservations for future stays. As another reviewer said recently, "lots of little issues add up to a big disappointment".

3  Thank Pilgrim1050
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Like the previous reviewer, we also arrived at the DoubleTree after two sleepless nights when our home lost power in a freak June 30 storm. But my take on our experience is somewhat different. I'd say the hotel management did a pretty darn good job, especially considering some of their own employees likely had no power or AC at home either.

We had to find a hotel that would take us as well as our dog and that's not easy. The first place fairly close to home where we reserved a room lost electricity shortly before we tried to check in, so that was a no go. I got on my ipad and quickly determined there were open rooms around BWI, and that the DoubleTree accepts pets.

I made an online reservation and we sped up there. Upon coming in the door I found a long line of sweaty, disgruntled people. The word in the line was that one of the hotel's dryers had conked out and they were having trouble processing linens for the rooms. When I got to the front, my reservation for a deluxe double room was in the system (phew) but I was told I would have to wait a bit because of the dryer situation. Understood; things happen. They did ask if we could take a king room instead, but with four of us and a dog, the manager said she didn't think it would work. She asked if we could wait half an hour, and gave us four fresh, warm cookies. She and the other people on duty were very polite and anxiously trying to do their best in the face of this crush of middle class humanity.

We settled in the lounge, which was warm but not uncomfortably so. We had just spent two days in a house without any AC and plus-100 degree temps so we could live with it. There were plenty of places to sit; some people were holding their dogs, too, so it was quite a sight. I am not sure I've ever seen so many dogs in a hotel lobby. We ordered gin and tonics and indeed in about half an hour got a gesture from the manager to come on up. I think maybe it's because we had a deluxe room rather than a regular double, but who knows. Perhaps my reservation was made earlier.

The deluxe room had a fridge and microwave hidden away in a cabinet, a huge double closet, two comfy double beds and a flat screen TV. I will say the granite-trim bathroom was a bit tight and it could have used more towel racks on the wall. Nonetheless everything was very, very clean, and worked fine. You didn't get that "dog friendly" feeling at all. Something very important for a hotel that takes dogs - the room we had was virtually soundproof. You couldn't hear anything from the room next door and just a little sound from the hall. So there was nothing that caused our dog to bark and she really behaved very well, just sleeping in front of the AC most of the time we were there. In addition there is a nice woodsy area outside where my son could take her to walk.

As it turned out we were there for nearly three days. When I wanted to keep the room for another day, I called the desk and the clerk told me to go online and reserve it - and I found a rate $30 less than what we'd paid the previous day, probably because it was now a weekday. So no gouging here - thank you, Hilton.

As for amenities, I swam in the pool, which is large and unusually deep for a hotel pool and has a lifeguard. My son used the spacious fitness room and gave it a big thumbs up. We did not eat in the restaurant but bought coffee, pastries and a couple other things from the convenient sundries store. Prices were not "hotel" prices but comparable to other places in the community. Dining choices nearby are mostly chain places but we would highly recommend the more Maryland-ish G and M restaurant about five miles away, which has amazing crabcakes, pasta and steaks.

Every DoubleTree staff member we ran into was pleasant and welcoming, including the maid who was rushing to finish up the room as we entered.

This is not the most luxurious hotel on earth. But it's quite nice, and in my opinion, it defined hospitality at a time when we were really in need of it. I'd stay there again any time, though I'm hoping the next occasion might be an overnight before a trip out of BWI rather than a desperate dash from a power-less house.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear daisygirl59,

Thanks for the review! I am glad we could offer you some solace during a dificult time. It was a challenge for all of us. And you are correct, many of our team members were without power at home but continued to work hard taking care of our guests. As a local, your word of mouth testimony is important to us! So please spread the word to friends and family that we offer a safe, friendly, comfortable hotel. I, too, hope that when you come back it won't be because you have lost power! Thanks again for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton BWI Airport.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I try to be fair and understanding when there was a problem. I was raised that treating people well, will in turn they will treat you well as well. I was polite with the my staff encounters throughout the afternoon.
Understanding that the Baltimore Washington area suffered from storms with power outages created a larger than normal demand for rooms. That being said I arrived at 2:55 for their stated 3pm check in. They said that had a sell out from last night and they needed an additional 30 minutes. OK what's 30 minutes. Though they are in the Hospitality industry with years of experience - their goal is close to 100% room capacity so why should this be a problem.
I get in line @ 3:45, slowly work my way to the front of the line and am told again it would be another 30 minutes and I should wait in their very warm and uncomfortable lobby and they will call me.
Being patient and understanding I waited another 1 hour and 50 minutes. I approached the desk and politely mentioned that I've been waiting 3 hours and perhaps they had forgotten me. Not a sorry. Other than to mention other people looking for rooms. But being there since 3, I was well aware who stood with me in line and who in that 3 hours were given rooms.
I could have been placated with a "I'm sorry, let me finish with this customer and help you" offer me a few drink coupons. Tell me the truth and give me a specific time a room would be available. Instead I set there for hours in the uncomfortable lobby.
Train your staff in customer service. They could have made some small gestures that would have made a lot of guests wait more tolerable.
Instead their frustration grew with the agitation of the customers. The asst manager even took one guest to the back and started to chastise her.
It's so easy to disarm and win the pleasant treatment of your guest. Remember we are the ones that pay our guest checks.
Bottom line I went to another hotel.

Room Tip: I wouldn't rule this out, I do think my experience was a little bit of an anomaly, however the s...
5  Thank chris w

Dear chris w,

Thanks for the review. I am always grateful for feedback even when it reveals failings on our part. I regret you never had a chance to experience our rooms and true service. The unexpected weekend storms brought challenges--clearly we could have done a better job meeting the extraordinary needs. I am glad to read that you won't rule us out in the future, in recognition of the unusual experience. We would welcome a second chance! Please do consider us for any lodging needs in the future. As you can see from fellow travelers, our #2 ranking is earned by consistenly taking care of each and every guest. We hope to do the same for you. Thanks again.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have always been a DoubleTree fan but this stay has me questioning that. I stayed here in June 2012 for six nights on a business trip to Baltimore. Importantly, if you're hoping the window in your room opens, even a crack, this is not your hotel.

If you're hoping there will be a drinking glass in your room, good luck!
If you're hoping that your room will be vacuumed even once during your six day stay, good luck!
If you're hoping that you'll have even one coffee packet when you wake up in the morning, good luck!
If you think you'll be able to sleep through the rattling noise of the in-wall heating/cooling unit, even on low, you'll realize differently after it's too late.
If you think contacting the front desk about any of these things will change anything, think again.

The positives:
Great location. Easy driving into Baltimore and the surrounding area.
Jobi at the front desk was really great! He made multiple attempts on my behalf but ultimately wasn't able to get anything fixed in a lasting way, particularly with the lethargic, guest unfriendly housekeeping department.
The young woman in the lobby coffeeshop was really friendly and helpful.
Inexpensive, especially for a DoubleTree, but maybe this is a case of 'you get what you pay for'.
The bed was really comfortable.

Summary: One night? Maybe. Six nights? They'll have you feeling like you're nitpicking when you ask for something you need instead a doing a job right in the first place. That is the definition of poor customer service.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Brian H

Dear Brian H,

Thanks for posting. These are issues I definetly need to know about. Your experience is not indicative of the high standards of service to which we hold ourselves. We will do better! Thanks for taking the time to share some of the positives. Jobi is one of our best. Anna in "Props" coffee shop is also one of our shining stars. And we know the "sweet dreams" bed experience can't be beat. Thanks for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton BWI Airport.