“a dreadful experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wingate by Wyndham BWI Airport

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Wingate by Wyndham BWI Airport
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Norfolk, Virginia
“a dreadful experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had flown in from an international flight, very tired, and was hoping to get some rest at the Wingate Hotel at BWI. Unfortuantely, at 11 pm, I was startled by a lot of noise in the room next door to me. When I investigated, I realized a highschool sports team had checked in, and one of there rooms was connected to mine. I understand youthfulness and they weren't bad kids, but none the less they were very loud and knocking not only on the connecting door to my room, but the entrance door as well. There was no way I was going to get any sleep. I went to the front desk and spoke to the front desk clerk, Maurio, and this is when it went from bad to worse. I told him my situation and asked to change rooms, and he replied, literallly, "You need to get over it" as this sports group were staying throughout the hotel. After the shock of his response, and only when I asked to speak to his supervisor, Roxanne, did he suddenly find a room that was not connecting to a bunch of kids having a lot of fun. I stay in a lot of hotels and have no problem with overacive guests, but to be treated as awful as Maurio did was inexcusable. My advice...don't get a connecting room here, and hopefully you won't have to deal with Maurio who could have cared less.

Room Tip: There are many hotels in this area ,so don't put up with the bad customer service I did. There i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank john f
wingate12702, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham BWI Airport, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
John,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am truly sorry that our front desk did not handle your concern with the professionalism and care that every guest deserves. We will be addressing this and reviewing your comments/taking corrective action with our staff.

My apologies again,

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Newport Beach, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived at 3 AM which was much later than planned due to a 4 hour layover in Phoenix, because of bad storms in Baltimore. We were just happy to have a place to sleep. It is a little battered & worn ~ a badly stained sofa, I was hoping that it was a red wine stain, not blood! The bathroom not that clean, needs updating. On the positive side extremely quiet, we didn't hear a sound (our room was at the back of the hotel). Missed breakfast the next morning, which ends at 9 AM, I think? We needed to get to the airport to pick up our rental car; the shuttle driver graciously took us directly to the Car Rental facility ~ which is not near the airport, we were very appreciative as that saved us a bunch of time.

Room Tip: At the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
UK2OC,

Thank you for your review, while I will pass your feedback along to our Chief Engineer and Executive Housekeeper I can't see what room you stayed in since I don't have your name. If you would like to provide me with that detail I can be even more proactive in resolving your concerns for future guests.

Thank you, and my apologies.

410-859-0003 X 7037
jporter@stevensmanagement.net
Lewes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I enjoyed the stay and the friendlyness of the staff. The Hotel is very clean and the breakfast and workout room were very nice. The Hotel is an excellent value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again soon.

Litchfield Park, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had a reservation at this hotel before Sandy arrived. Understandably, the hurricane caused many problems in the area including the hotel losing power. All the hotels next to the Wingate were also without power. But, the staff were accommodating to our needs. They provided glow sticks for our safety. Even the first morning without power, they had gone elsewhere to get coffee and bagels for the guests. I never felt in danger and no one was locked in their room (the room keys stilled worked). When we arrived to BWI it only took 10 min. for the Wingate shuttle to pick us up. The property is clean inside and out. I would recommend this Wingate to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wingate12702, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham BWI Airport, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
S F,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Hurricane Sandy was a tough storm, but our staff did everything possible to keep our guests as comfortable as possible.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in the Baltimore area, and hopefully in better weather!

Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

The Wingate BWI is by far, the worst Wyndham property that I have stayed in. Ever. I travel a lot, and have never had a bad experience at a Wingate prior to this. Neither will I be going back to any Wyndham properties.

Hurricane Sandy caused a power-outage for nearly 24 hours. The hotel had no back-up generator. The door locks were not working, leaving you a prisoner in your own room. There was no breakfast as advertised. Nothing was operational. The hotel was so dark that it was dangerous to walk in the hallways. The stairwells were "illuminated" by little green glow sticks that were taped to the walls.

Some customers' bills were adjusted, others were told that they would not be. I witnessed this in line to speak to the front desk. I was told that the general manager of the hotel would call me the next day to discuss my issues -- she never did. It's always nice when customers are left in a dangerous position and then lied to.

I don't blame the hotel for the storm, but when you have no secondary source of power, you don't leave your guests trapped in their rooms. You don't advertise WiFi and breakfast and then not deliver it. If you can't deliver what you promise, storm or not, you send your guests to a different hotel or you adjust their bill. You don't leave them to fend for themselves in dimly lit stairwells, deny them breakfast, and then give them a full bill.

I have never -- ever -- not been asked upon check-out if my stay was satisfactory. It was almost like the front desk was avoiding the question. Wonder why.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
wingate12702, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham BWI Airport, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Schulyer,

Our General Manager, Roxanne Rivera, has been working with you personally to resolve your concerns.

We did everything we could to keep our guests safe and comfortable during super storm Sandy and the unfortunate power outage. We picked up coffee and bagels so our guests could have breakfast, the keys to the guest rooms continued to work because they are battery operated, and we placed glow sticks and flashlights throughout the building for safety. Many guests left the hotel and were able to find hotel accommodations close by with power, but for guests that chose to stay we did everything possible to keep them comfortable until power was restored.

Again, our General Manager is working with you personally, but I wanted to at least reply to your concerns posted here on TripAdvisor as well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Linthicum Heights
Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport
Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport
#2 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
Hyatt Place Baltimore/BWI Airport
Hyatt Place Baltimore/BWI Airpor...
#3 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
Best Western Plus BWI Airport North
Hilton Baltimore BWI Airport
Hilton Baltimore BWI Airport
#6 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport
Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington I...
#24 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, BWI Airport (Baltimore)
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#1 of 29 in Linthicum Heights

Been to Wingate by Wyndham BWI Airport? Share your experiences!