“Great Customer Service but room was terrible!”

Candlewood Suites Baltimore-Linthicum
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Bordentown, New Jersey
“Great Customer Service but room was terrible!”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Upon walking in, by the door was the strongest gas smell I ever smelled in my lifetime. That was scary. We alerted maintenance, he checked and said it was coming from the dryers in the laundry room. Guests checking in should not be almost knocked out by gas fumes. They may wanna consider moving that laundry room. The check-in process was smooth and the Desk Clerk, I believe her name is Karen, was awesome! Priority Club members get a nice welcome letter and gift bag, and you get to "spin" a wheel for additional bonus points which is a cute and fun marketing tool!
On to the bad stuff! We were erroneously booked in a smoking room and when I called to complain, was told the entire hotel was booked. That room was so horribly smokey it was awful! We immediately went out to get air freshner but that still did not work. The kitchen cabinets were raggedy and hanging off the hinges. The pull out sofa bed was so dirty, I had to share a bed with my sis in law. The carpet was dirty. The furniture was filthy and cheap...the room just made you itch even after a shower! The air conditioner was crooked and poorly installed. I couldnt wait to check out of there! Two stink bugs came from out of nowhere! We had to call maintenance for assistance! In fairness, those bugs are everywhere, but if the room wasnt so dirty, we probably would have just overlooked it all. I wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jrzydva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I am from Canada and had to travel to have a surgery by a well-known surgeon in the Baltimore area. The folks at Candlewood were very friendly and my 2 week stay was definitiely worth the price. I loved the kitchenette! The only downside was that there was not much to do within walking distance in terms of touristy things because it is in the airport hotel district. But the positive to the location was that the shuttle took you to the Rail Station, so you could take a train for cheap into downtown Baltimore or Washington DC. Overall my stay was great. I would highly recommend the surgeon (Dr. Thomas Le) too if you ever need a good facial plastic surgeon. He did wonders for my nose despite 3 other doctors failing. His website is http://www.bwfacialplasticsurgery.com and he recommended this hotel for his patients on the website.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Southern US
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I had stayed in a Candlewood Suites in another location and liked the concept - basic, decent place to stay. I was just looking for a place to stay the night before a flight and they had a shuttle to the airport. The check in was prompt and the front desk attendant was very polite, friendly and helpful. The room was okay (once again basic but that's fine). From my previous visit to a Candlewood I knew I'd like the bed, sheets and towels and they didn't disappoint.

However, I don't think I could come back here unless they became a non-smoking facility. The smoke smell hits you from the second you walk in and permeates everything. Even though my room was nonsmoking, the smoke obviously doesn't pay attention to that distinction and the room had a smoke/musty type odor. I still was able to sleep but was sure glad it was only for one night - otherwise I would have checked out early. Please property owners, ban smoking to outside the property! I think most smokers are used to it by now. I suspect you lose more nonsmoking guests than you gain in smokers.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank SuziQ22
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Could you believe that we were put in a room above the laundromat room. Check,; I got my dog and paid for his stay. Check; I used my points. Could these be the reasons why I got treated like a low class customer? Don't expect to find a business center here. Bring your computer. The hotel though will provide a hotel to/from the airport and nearby shopping stores/mall. And of course, Candlewood is known for the kitchenette. This hotel is near BWI airport and in a very nice location where other high end hotels are also located. If you are in Maryland visiting, find a nice hotel in LInthicum instead of Baltimore City for your peace of mind.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mai-ImIt
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 20, 2010

This is an excellent extended stay hotel, Very Close to BWI and Arundel Mills, location is a bit isolated in a valley of hotels. Check in was smooth, they didnt know if our room was ready yet, we were a but early and people have to realize ITS AN EXTENDED STAY hotel meant to be homey so they dont have alot of room attendents staffed every day, but the Operations Manager took time out of his busy schedule to personally check the room...thats service. Rooms are big, spacious, like an apartment. Builiding shows signs of wear and tear but still nice,an " honesty market" provide ingredients too cook an easy meal. Good DVD selection at the reception area.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Redsox1988
HOMEWOOD
Reviewed May 23, 2010

The counter person was not very friendly, she made us sit down and wait until she could get the computer going. We asked that our room be cleaned with fresh towels, and was told they only clean the rooms on the weekends. That should have been a clue.
After two nights there, we discovered a mouse running from under the bed to under the dishwasher. Unless they change their ways, this is not a good place to stay. Also, there was no business center, you had to ask someone at the front desk. This is very tacky!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CNHTRIPS
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed May 5, 2010

We stayed at the Candlewood Suites the night before a very early morning flight out of BWI. I am a new Priority Club member, and this was the first time I stayed at a Holiday Inn property as one. Check in was swift and easy because the front desk was still manned. I understand they lock down the front desk at night and offer some alternate check in, but I don't know how that works. When we got there I was handed a bag of goodies as a Priority Club member. A bottle of water and some gourmet jelly beans. Nice touch, considering many hotels charge $3 for a bottle of water. When we got to our room I was very happy. It was huge, with a full kitchen. It was clean and well kept, but one of the coffee cups in the cupboard had a coffee stain on the lip. We used the paper cups anyway. The only problem I had was the night light above the stove. In the middle of the night it was bothering me so I got up to turn it off. I couldn't find the switch and pushed the fan on by mistake. That woke my husband up and now I was WIDE awake. Not good when you only have a few precious hours to sleep before a 5:00 a.m. wake up call. Since the hotels Airport Shuttle didn't start until 7:00 a.m., they sent a cab for us, which was on time. There was a woman waiting for her cab when we left, and she claimed she didn't get her wake-up call. The front desk was locked down and we didn't know how to help her. The cab driver assured her another cab was on the way. The hotel itself was clean, and would be a good place to stay, especially if you are on business. With a fully stocked kitchen including a sink, stove, refridgerator and microwave you could easily cook many of your own meals. There was also a BBQ area for guests to grill outside. I would recommend this hotel and will probably stay there again when I fly out of BWI.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple