“Name Does Not Guarantee Satisfaction”

Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Long Island, NY
“Name Does Not Guarantee Satisfaction”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Let's start with the positive - great location (about 10 minutes each way to the stadiums or airport), free wi-fi (although a bit slow), excellent price, clean and spacious rooms. Especially love the unique charger bolted to the nightstand. It had plenty of extra plugs and a USB cord to charge your phone. There was a nearby alarm/clock radio thing that had headphones so you can plug in your i-pod and listen. Now for the negatives and there are too many to ignore. The dresser drawers were too tiny to fit all our clothes in so we didn't fully unpack. Even half empty they wouldn't close all the way. The toilet bowl ran, the shower was slippery, the bathroom door handle was loose and nearly fell off. They cleaned our coffee pot out on the second day and forgot to rinse it. We asked for a new pot and waited over 45 minutes for someone to show up, they never did. The second day I rinsed out the pot and the coffee cups but forgot to check the basket and guess what, a second day of coffee wasted. No free breakfast, constantly out of decaf coffee for a free fill up. No smoking in any rooms, ok so I'm used to that, but is it too much to ask for more than one ashtray outside so that we don't have to walk entirely around the building to put our butts out without littering? And then, don't you know it, they removed the ashtray and put it at another entrance for a conference that was in town. Not one garbage pail outside. The bed was soooo uncomfortable but as it turns out and we only found out about it on night 4, the beds are adjustable. There was a tiny little sign that says so at check-in, nothing in the room book, no signs in the room, the nightstand, nowhere other than check in and no one paid attention to it. Turns out, there's this little knob that's hidden on the side of the bed - adjust it to your liking. My husband tried it out and still couldn't get rid of the hump in the middle of the bed. As long as we're talking about the bed, they don't tuck the sheets in when making it. It took us two nights to figure that out after a couple of spats of getting tied up in the sheets and who stole how much etc, it was very uncomfortable. We were in town for a couple of games and stayed for a few more nights for sight seeing - would've loved to watch a game or two on MASN when we weren't out, but they don't have the channel. The room keys are required for every single entrance (except for the main) and the amenities - however they only worked intermittently. We were constantly locked out and had to use the main entrance. That's more of a bother than one could imagine because parking was so sparse. They allow certain guests to park and use the airport. I didn't bother to check out the details, but did notice 4 cars that didn't move in the 4 nights we were there, including the one in the handicap spot that was parked over the line and the one that was parked in a prime location by our entrance. The "garden" itself was an isolated patio with no path to any other entrance except the door that you came from which locks once you go outside and does not have a key to let you back in. It wasn't even a garden, it was simply a patio with potted plants scattered here and there. The landscaping lights that highlight the building at night were so bright and numerous, even with the blinds closed, the room was still lit up like a Christmas tree. I could literally make out where everything was laid out without turning on a light at night. The pool was ok, but if you're staying during the week, don't plan on relaxing by it until 5PM and then one should be really careful, they put ceramic tile around it which makes it very, very slippery and dangerous when wet. All in all, we tried to stay positive and enjoy ourselves and so did our friends across the hall, but they experienced very similar problems. Very disappointed in this Hilton - hope they get it together soon.

Room Tip: If you plan on staying here, make sure to go through a third party like expedia for a great deal. W...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
JackieMHilton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review. We really appreciate the fact that you included all aspects for your trip; the good and the bad.

I'm very sorry that the room had several issues that hindered your experience, the size of the dresser is not large enough for multiple people for multiple days, hopefully the closet was able to house the rest of your garments.

I hope you were able to report the maintenance issues to the staff, that way we can make sure the repairs are complete before another guest experiences the same problems as you did. If not, please email if you are able to and let me know the room number; jackie.morrell@hilton.com.

We often hear from guests that they would like to have breakfast included when they stay. We do actually offer a "bed and breakfast" package. This will only cost you a few more dollars on the rate and it will include breakfast for everyone on the reservation. We have such a large breakfast buffet, with a awesome cooks who make great omelets and waffles!

We really appreciate your feedback and we hope you decide to visit us again in the future. Have a great weekend!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I were near the end of a week-long trip to New England. We had a late change in plans and found ourselves near Baltimore after midnight without a reservation. Luckily we found the Hilton Garden Inn near BWI, The clerk was friendly, attentive and cordial at that late hour, even after just having dealt with what appeared to be a grunge rock band who had just finished a concert. He found us a double room at a very reasonable rate, especially considering our desperation and considering the high quality of Hilton Garden Inn in general. I've been a Hilton fan and an Honors member a long time, but never a bigger fan than on this occasion.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the wonderful compliments; "beacon of light", "...but never a bigger fan than on this occasion." I'll make sure to share your comments with the overnight staff; I know they'll appreciate it as much as I do. Please, come visit us again when you end up in the BWI area. Have a great weekend!
Georgetown, KY
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a nice, convenient hotel but the halls and elevators are very dirty. The tile hallway leading from the front desk to the elevator looked like it had not been mopped in over a week. Dirty footprints and lots of dust. Surprising for a HGI.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
JackieMHilton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Hi Dan, thanks for taking your time to complete a review. We have recently renovated our entire lobby; in turn we have awesome new floors! We do clean the floors every day, but we still haven't quite figured out what product keeps them clean the longest. It's especially hard to keep them clean when it rains as much as it has; don't get me wrong me appreciate the rain. I guarantee, next time you come visit us, the floors will look amazing, we just got a new cleaning product in this week. Again, thank you so much for the feedback; we really appreciate your opinion and observations. If I can create any future reservations please let me know; I can be reached directly at 410-691-0507. Have a great weekend!
Vienna, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel was very clean and comfortable. The staff was helpful and friendly. It's close to BWI Airport and has shuttle service to and from the airport, which is perfect. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Hi Damon, thank you writing a review and recommending our hotel! We hope you stay with us again next time you are in the BWI area, have a wonderful weekend!
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Once a year, I'm required to do medical tests in the area for my job. Being a Hilton HHonors Member, I always scout out the Hiltons. Being that it's SO close to DC/Baltimore, I'm surprised it's as nice as it is. You never feel like you're near a Metropolis. The lot is big, the lobby is big, it's very spacious, and the rooms - while standard hotel fare - are always nice. No complaints.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Oxford, England
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I needed a place to stay near the airport thanks to the lateness of BA's daily flight from London. As it was it was delayed and immigration took an age. The hotel had given me instructions on how to call the shuttle and a van was soon on its way. We had to do a double circuit as someone else needed picking up from the domestic side so we ran even later. The driver told me that the restaurant (and room service) quit at 10.00 but offered to ring ahead and order me a meal! Noting other reviews, I had requested a room away from the truck depot as I expected to be tired after the eight-hour flight. While I wasn't facing it directly, I was still disturbed so was a little disappointed by this slip-up. I was too tired to complain and move rooms though. The staff were very friendly and helpful, looking after a car that had been left for me and being generally good-natured. Worth a recommendation for this alone but do insist on a quiet room.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a quiet one away from the truck depot!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
JackieMHilton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hello, I am so sorry that your traveling plans were put off due to the airline, there's nothing worse when it comes to traveling. But I am glad you had the oppurtunity to stay with us! I hope that your return to the airport the next day was more of a success?! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, hopefully next time you visit us, it will be on your terms not the airlines.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn was a very pleasant place to stay. It is a clean, classy hotel and the rate was perfect. The staff is very friendly and willing to help with whatever you need. The location was good, close to the airport. And, as far as I know, they do not sell parking spots in their parking lot to people looking for an alternative to airport parking garages.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Hi Katie thanks for the review; it was short &sweet and to-the-point! I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience. And you are correct in the matter that we do not permit parking to outside customers, only guests of the hotel, this way we can make sure we always have a spot for you. Come see us again soon!