“Pricey for what is offered”

Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Canton, MI
“Pricey for what is offered”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2008

Stayed here for three nights for a company sales meeting. The room rates at $159 per night seemed quite high especially considering we had over 12 people staying multiple nights.
The rooms were very comfotable - and they are beginning remodel the rooms with new carpet, drapes, LCD TV's, etc. Having a microwave and a fridge in the room was nice (although the fridge, even being set at the lowest setting, froze my beverages).
Breakfast is not included. Pool is too small for laps. Gym needs an overhaul.
The airport is very close and they provide a free shuttle to and from the airport.
We had an issue with the shuttle driver making unwanted advances toward one of our female collegues. The hotel was made aware, moved her from room to room for safety, and hopefully have taken steps to dismiss him from the staff. The other staff members were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed January 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Georgetown,DE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2007

The price crunch continues at BWI.Unless you want to play the Priceline game (I dont) theres nothing available for less than 100$ on a week night.There are 4 new properties being built here or opening this month but all the new rooms are not lowering the prices.I felt lucky to get a few weeknights at the Hilton Garden Inn at 115$.The good thing is,its a top notch hotel for that price and if you can get that rate I would recommend it to anybody.
The amenities have been listed in the previous reviews.A couple new ones though,they now have this "Garden Sleep System" which is a bed with adjustable firmness via a dial on the side (king bed has one on either side).Sounds like a scam but it works.I slept just fine.They give you two different types of pillows and thats a good idea.
Pretty much everything works except for a weak-flushing "American Standard" toilet,probably the worst toilet available.And hot water was iffy a couple times.Staff was top notch.Wi-Fi access worked as well as any I have dealt with.
I dont know if I will stay in this area again,its just plain getting too expensive.But If I do,I will definitely look first for a good rate at the Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2007

From check in to check out we had no problems. Everyone we came into contact with including other guests were very friendly and helpful. We loved the little store in the lobby. We used it several times to get snacks and sodas, that is a great feature.
the room was very clean. We did have trouble with the wireless internet trying to get connected a couple of times but both were minor gliches. It was very convient to have a microwave, coffee pot and refrigerator in the room for our use. There is a Bob Evans right next door, however it is a bit of a drive to get to the nearest drug store should you need one. If you are going to Washington DC this hotel is very close to the Beltway....Overall this was a great experience and I would highly recommend this place.

• Liked — How Clean it was
  • Disliked — that there where no grocery/pharmacy stores real close.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

This was our second stay at the BWI Hilton Garden Inn. We were in Baltimore to see the Sox/Orioles series for two nights. We arrived via Southwest early a.m. They were not able to check us into our room until 2:00 p.m., but they were able to hold our luggage while we went out to lunch at G & M Restaurant for crab cakes (the shuttle will bring you and pick you up); this restaurant is only about 2 miles away and has the very best crab cakes. We booked via Hotwire for $59 per night. A few days before our arrival, I called the hotel to request a king/non-smoking and my request was honored. The beds are very comfortable. The bathroom is a very good size, but the door was always in the way. Neutrogena products were used and real Kleenex brand was used. The hotel offers 24 hour coffee/tea/hot chocolate which comes in handy. There is a computer room for guests to use, so we were able to print out our boarding passes before our flight. Breakfast is not included in room rates. My only complaint this year is the constant empty cookie basket at the front desk which was not the case two years ago. We asked about the cookies and were told they were made at 5 p.m. and two times after that. They should remove the cookie basket when they will not be refilling it. Overall, this hotel offers a good value.

• Liked — Comfortable beds, 24-hour coffee
  • Disliked — Empty cookie basket; bathroom door
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

This was my second stay at this hotel in two years; last year we had a GREAT experience but this year was the PITS. We arrived at 4:30pm.for check-in and I was immediately told we could not have a non-smoking room as "the hotel was booked and that was all that was available." Plus, the clerk said since I did not call ahead of time to make a request for non-smoking, and since I went through Hotwire...well, you can guess the rest. I told her that I actually DID call, several times, as I had won the reservation through Hotwire in JANUARY 2007 for our stay in JULY 2007. I also explained that both my husband and son are asthmatics and that we would REQUIRE a non-smoking room. Being a Hilton Honors member, I asked if a room would magically appear if I had booked it with my points. I was told no, that this had nothing to do with Hotwire (really? then why was it mentioned earlier?).

Last year at check-in I was told that there were no two bedded rooms available for as I had arrived late in the evening (which was true), however, last year, we were treated respectfully and provided with a large non-smoking king bedded room with a free rollaway bed (and we used Priceline for that reservation!).

After standing at the front desk for 10 minutes, I was told that I should "check out the smoking room and see if it was acceptable, and if not they would 'spray' it for me." I again explained that this would not be acceptable due to medical reasons. Well, out of nowhere, a non-smoking room finally appeared (!), but on the first floor, not far off the lobby. so I honestly expected the worst.

At first, I thought we were going to be ok as the room was nice, had two beds, and was not near the elevator or ice machine, etc. HOWEVER, once night fell it was a completely different story. We soon realized that our room (and window) faced the front of the hotel, right off of the entrance. Someone at Hilton had the BRILLIANT idea of designing and putting a SITTING AREA DIRECTLY in front of our row of rooms (to the right of the hotel entrance).

WELL..starting at 12am., we were subjected to (apparently drunk) teens fighting and talking loudly in front of our window. At 2am., we heard and were witness to two taxi drivers arguing, cursing and throwing punches at each other. At 4:30am., we got to listen to the Night Front Desk Clerk SCREAMING at her boyfriend on her cell phone for at least an hour (we didn't realize that it was, in fact, the clerk until we decided to pack our bages and check out at 5:30am., I recognized her from looking out of my window). Of course, the clerk denied it was her on the cell, despite the fact that she was sitting out on this little "courtyard" smoking a cigarette and talking on her phone when I attempted to hand my keys in and check out. I had to GO OUT AND GET HER in order to leave.

I told the clerk exactly why we were leaving. I also explained that we were supposed to head out to Camden Yards that afternoon for the Orioles-Yankees game, but due to exhaustion, this would not be possible (and we had this trip planned for months). We decided we would head to our family in Va. a half-day early in order to get some sleep (at least we were able to sell the tix). The clerk was somewhat apologetic and said she would not charge us for the night. I informed her that we had already paid through Hotwire months ago. Oh, she said, I'll put a note her on your room key holder for my manager to read and we'll see what he can do for you. OK, sure. It has been a week and I have not heard from anyone.

I plan on writing to the manager as well as Hotwire and Hilton to tell them about my recent HORRIBLE stay at the Hilton Garden Inn BWI. What a disappointment that we did not have the same great experience as last year!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Boulder City, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2007

I stayed in this hotel to attend a five day class. There are an incredible number of brand new hotels in this area, but as Hilton is on my company's preferred hotel list, I decided to stay here and used some of the Trip Advisor's reviews to make that decision.

That said, it took me a week to get rid of the backache from sleeping on their poor (old?) mattress. The pillows were very lumpy and the sheets were very thin. I would describe the room as "average" in decor and amenities. There was a very large "patch" on the wall beside the bed and one of the large pictures had been removed.

I went to the breakfast buffet on the first morning and although there were no signs at all, someone came and tapped me on the shoulder as I left to ask how I wished to pay for breakfast. Naturally, everyone else I interacted with in the class was getting free breakfast with made-to-order omelets and waffles and several also stayed at hotels with "manager's specials" for evening food that amounted to free dinner.

The staff I encountered were all very courteous, professional and friendly, but I would stay somewhere else the next time.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — Poor mattress and bedding
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Enola, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

This is great hotel that you should stay at. the rooms were big with ac,mini fridge,microwave,2 queen beds,good view,nice alarm clock,large bathroom,tv,phone,soft geen chair,and a desk. the main lobby is awsome it has tvs a resraunt and they put out fresh fruit and cookies. its also a great place to read. the airport is 3 mins away.also in the the main lobby the have a area were they have drinks candy and snacks for a cost. this hotel has a exersice room and a pool.

• Liked — everything!!!!
  • Disliked — computer didnt let you get on aim,and myspace
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business