“Overbooked - Didn't get the suite I reserved 2 months prior”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore-BWI Airport
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Reviewed June 12, 2007

I made my "confirmed" reservation for 4 days/4 people on 4/2/07. When I arrived, an hour and a half early, I was told that the hotel was overbooked and that the suite I had reserved was unavailable. No explanation was given to me as to why the hotel was overbooked, or why I should be the party that had my suite given to someone else. The manager offered to try to locate another hotel for me, but having 3 other people flying into Baltimore from other states, this was not an option. I thought that reserving the suite 2 months in advance would assure me a stress-free trip at a professionally run hotel. I was incorrect. What is their overbooking policy? Is there a standard policy concerning who gets bumped to a lesser room, and who gets to arrive at the last minute and choose whatever room they wish? Why wasn't I notified ahead of my arrival that my reservation wouldn't be honored? Nobody answered these questions. Needless to say, I was not at all happy with the way my visit started. I ended up having to take 2 smaller rooms, on different floors. The larger suite I had reserved was in order to have a large social meeting room - the only reason I booked a reservation with Homewood Suites in the first place. I've been traveling and staying in hotels for decades, and this is the first time I've had a specific room I've reserved, well in advance, be given away with no advanced notice. I was given a small price break, but it in no way compensated my party for the aggravation and lesser accommodations.

I stayed at the Homewood Suites in Linthicum, MD, from 6/6-07 to 6/10/07.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank pgrabar
There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore-BWI Airport

Reviewed February 2, 2007

This was one of the best hotel stays I ever had! I had been attending a conference in DC (see review of Washington Hilton) for a few days and wanted to stay next to BWI for a morning flight home. When I arrived at the BWI Amtrak station, I called the hotel for a shuttle ride. Anita (I hope I remember her name correctly) picked me up promptly. I asked if they still had any of their evening food set out, but was not surprised when she replied "no." However, she did offer to take me by a place to get something to eat to take back to my room. She was even willing to go out of the way to do so if there was something specific I wanted! WOW - what customer service! I mentioned that I really wanted some Utz crab flavor potato chips - we can't get those in Texas. Well, she stopped at a convenience store for those and then a cheesesteak/pizza place (Kosmos) to pick up some menus for the hotel lobby. I had a cheesesteak - it was pretty good.

LaToya checked me in and was just as hospitable as her colleague. I went up to my excellent as usual suite and feasted away. I slept very well on the comfortable bed. The free Internet was great - hard wired, but cable provided. Checkout was extremely smooth. The morning breakfast was the only potential disappointment - the scrabled eggs (same at all Homewood Suites) have a strange taste to them, but there was plenty of good stuff.

The shuttle driver that took me to the airport was actually a manager who was responsible for bringing the hotel back up to quality standards - I told him he has been successful in my eyes.

This has to be one of the best hotels next to BWI.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank toomuchtravel
Reviewed January 24, 2007

My family and I always stay @ Homewood Suites whenever we

travel and there's one around. Everything is there that you would

need. It's clean, comfortable, and the staff is always friendly.

Enjoy your stay. It's excellent for the price!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank lyn2
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I have stayed here three times this year. The reason I chose this hotel was that I like to do my own cooking when travelling for extended periods. The first stay, the room had hardly any dishes or silverware and it took 3 requests to get this rectified. Each stay the accomodations seem to get worse.

The TV reception quality is below standard and the USA channel, which I watch, regularly has a problem with a noisy sound that occurs when there is a white background. The choice of channels is also less than other long term stay hotels.

The "High" speed internet slows down to nearly dialup speeds from 7:00pm to 11:00pm. The laundry is also below standard and is often out of soap suds.

The room airconditioner is also very noisy.

Now for the other side of the coin, the staff are very friendly and helpful, although I think sometimes they do not quite understand your request. On occasion I partake of the evening social. This is about the best thing I can say about the hotel.

My personal observation is that the hotel needs to be renovated a little. Even so it is one of those hotels that you hate but end up wanting to go back, go figure.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank TheWearyTraveler
Reviewed June 27, 2006

Not the worst hotel ever - but I wouldn't go back. The location is great. It's near BWI, restaurants... The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. Mojo really is a shining star -and really belongs at a nicer place. After that... I was not impressed. The restroom off the lobby was a bit of a mess with toilet paper all over the floor. Our room was clearly dated. My biggest problem is that in the bathroom changing/sink area - I'm conviced that I smelled urine. It seemed obvious to me that someone or a pet urinated in that area at some time on the carpet. My husband wasn't convinced, and we were only staying for one night, so I covered the area with a towel and eagerly waited to check out the next morning. The linens, etc were a bit worn. While most Hilton hotels have the newer "heavenly" beds - these were the oldest, most uncomfortable I've had in a long time. I'm a Hilton Diamond member - and this was the worst yet. Everything just seemed old. The pull out sofa didn't have sheets on it and after searching the room we had to call the front desk to request sheets - and we waited 45 minutes for those. The breakfast was fine. I would really just recommend staying somewhere else. ... and I highly recommend that Mojo look for a job at a nicer place - he is well worth the finest hotels anywhere!

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank spkjones
Reviewed March 28, 2006

Mojo (front desk) made sure the Hilton Promise was kept. Our original room had a couple of "issues" The towel rack broke while the maid was adding the extra towels we requested and ac was loud. Mostt hotel chains would have left us in that room, However, Mojo personally moved us, gave us cookies, water and a free movie rental as a "we're sorry" gift. He also checked on us to make sure everything was fine in the new room. The maids were very helpful (sorry didn't get their names). The breakfast area could have used a little more help. Dirty tables not cleared often, food not replenished etc. but there were large groups there ... if in area will stay there again. Also the suggested dining at G&M's is right on target. The crab cakes are wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank 1greenchicken
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 12, 2004

Hello,
A group of friends and I stayed at the Homewood Suites by Hilton BWI Airport for one night on Saturday, September 11, 2004. We were in town for the Orioles-Yankees game.

Check-in went smoothly. Mojo at the front desk is very friendly, knowledgable, and helpful. He is an excellent example of what hotel service should be.

The rooms are average. They are a good size, clean, and comfortable, however, the A/C unit was a bit loud (we had to turn it down so it wouldn't go on). We were in room 200.

There was a free breakfast buffet available which was decent; however, the hotel was obviously not prepared for the amount of people who booked rooms. There were not enough supplies at the buffet and there was only one front desk clerk at check-out.

Would I stay there again? It was not a bad experience, but I would probably choose one of the other Hilton or Marriot hotels in the area.

Nicole