“Not one of the Best Homewood Suites”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore-BWI Airport
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Reviewed December 4, 2011

One night stop over to catch a flight out of BWI. OK hotel for the area but I have stayed in many Homewood Suites that are much nicer. I have found that most of the Homewood properties are very nice and above average. This one is not. Very convenient to the airport. Free parking. Breakfast OK.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed October 15, 2011

Stayed there before and prior experience was much better. Property is showing it's wear, you can tell my room had been repainted more than once, the tub had been repaired (and it wasn't a good repair) and the bath sink was broken in several places. Tack on to this I could see something on the floor in the bathroom and I wasn't pleased. I did sleep well and the room was quite, but I'll probably stay somewhere my next visit.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
bsery, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore-BWI Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Dear jbwilkins:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and to share your comments. I was very disappointed to hear that you didn't find your experience here to be the top-notch stay that we work hard to deliver. I did see that you had reviewed us earlier this year and found us to be about average in that review- I regret that we haven't improved by your standards since. I'm not sure if you reported any problems you had with your room to the front desk but I can assure you that we would have made every attempt to remedy the issue and make sure that you were pleased with the outcome. We are always trying to improve our product and I truly hope that should you stay with us again that the third time will be a charm.

Laura Liquornik
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed September 26, 2011

I stay here because my colleagues do. What a depressing place. Like Doubletree, this is a chain that is unloved by Hilton. They don't invest in it clearly - they are miling the cow in regards to taking as much money as they can without investing. It's old school, with a minimum of upkeep. It's dark and depressing. The gym has 3 cardio machines - that's it. And one is broken. Neither of the three are a bicyle. The breakfast is lamer than a Hampton. And their yogurt was open in a bowl - who wants to eat that - with people breathing over it. I found out later they had Yoplait containers - but they hide them in the kitchen and you have to ask.

It's clean, it's passable....but between the darkness vs. the light and bright styles of today, and the lame gym, well, they're not trying.

The dinners are lame too. If the HIlton name weren't attached, no one would like this place.

Room Tip: I booked for one night. I paid $139 - but that was a group rate. The regular rate was higher. Upo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Dear Travel Man South,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here at Homewood Suites BWI. I believe we have communicated before at length regarding your stay and I hope that was able to address all of your concerns through our e-mails. We try very hard to make every guest leave feeling like they received outstanding service at a property that cares. I hope that we will get a chance to have you back in the future and that we may deliver this experience.

Laura Liquornik
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed September 1, 2011

I travel a fair amount for work and usually do 4-8 week stays. I'm a fan of both the Homewood Suites and Marriot Residence Inn brands. Homewood suites are usually a great "bang for your buck." This particular property, however, did not meet my minimum standards and I moved out to the Homewood Suites in Arundel Mills which I have found to be MUCH better.

The room wasn't horribly outdated but was pretty worn. I'm not overly picky, however, so this wasn't a show stopper. The ants crawling all over the living room wall was a different story though. Apparently, there is a problem with ants in the hotel. When I discovered them upon check-in I called down to the front desk. I was informed this is a hotel-wide issue (proximity to the forest and rain) so a room-change wouldn't likely resolve it and they sent someone up who proceeded to spray a half bottle of vinegar all over the baseboard. I cringed but hoped this would resolve the issue so I wouldn't have to move. The next day the ants were back and the room smelled like a salad. I ended up buying some raid and taking care of it myself. I noticed the elevator always smelled of vinegar and the maids use it as a regular cleaning supply. Even though the smell wore off after a couple of days the maids would re-apply.

When I noticed that the carpet in my room hadn't been vacuumed and had to ask three times before it was done I decided I had enough and made a reservation at a different HW suites. The staff was nice, the room is large, and you get all the typical amenities of a HW suites (large rooms, free meals, kitchen etc) which means good bang for the buck. But while I have pretty thick skin a 4 week stay was out of the question.

The Homewood Suites in Arundel is a newer property with modern and crisp rooms and new facilities and it's only 4-5 miles down the road. What I lost in a little extra commute time I made up for by being close to the mall/shopping. I ended up actually paying a bit less. I see no reason to stay at the BWI HW suites when there are better hotels at a similar price.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
bsery, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore-BWI Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

I was very disappointed to hear your experience was so far removed from what we are striving to achieve. We value our customers and work hard at creating a clean, comfortable and friendly environment at a great value, and I truly believe we have a team that treats all our guests like family. I am disappointed that you did not come away with this perception and apologize for any issues you experienced.

Reviewed August 31, 2011

I cannot say enough good about this hotel. The room was spacious and clean, which was a huge plus, but what really set this place apart for me and my family was the staff. What a wonderful goup of people. It really did feel like coming home each night. From front desk to food preparation to pool staff, everyone was so friendly and seemed genuinely concerned about their guests, as opposed to just doing their jobs. Lauri Reynolds was particularly friendly and was very helpful when I got stuck at work and could not go get my family until later in the day. They got a later check out and were allowed to just hang out, swim, and enjoy the place until I got there. Could not have asked for a better hotel stay. AMAZING!

Room Tip: You only have wired internet in the rooms. Wireless is only available in the lobby. Bring a hub an...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
bsery, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore-BWI Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

Thank you for your very nice comments. We are so pleased we provided you and your family with the kind of experience we pride ourselves on. I have shared your comments with Lauri and the team. We will look forward to having you all back to your "home away from home" in the future!

Reviewed August 30, 2011

Several family members stayed at the Homewood Suites in Linthicum, MD in late August, 2011. It did not meet our expectations in two key areas as compared to other HW Suites I have stayed at: cleanliness and food service.

We arrived early and asked for an early check-in but since the room wasn't ready, we went to grab a bite to eat at a nearby restaurant before coming back 2 hours later. The hostess said it should take about 30 minutes to prepare the room. I thought that 2 hours would have give them more than enough time to prepare the room. We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom suites - King BR with bath and 2D BR with bath plus separate kitchen/dining/sitting area. All of the rooms were adequately cleaned but the dishes that were left in the dishwasher were dirty - and I mean with food still stuck to them. The early check-in is no excuse for this oversight.

The next morning when we went down to the lobby to eat breakfast I asked my son how it was. He said the eggs tasted 'fake' and the sausage was like 'cardboard'. Indeed, the eggs were not prepared like I have come to expect at HW Suites and the sausage was tasteless. I don't know if this is a southern/northern thing but regardless most of the HW Suites I've stayed at in my home state of NC and other southern states have better breakfasts. I don't remember that being the case when my wife and stayed at the HW Suites near Philly last fall though. My recollection is that the food was good. At any rate, we chose not to eat breakfast there at the hotel. As a side note, when I eat the complimentary breakfasts at hotels and the food and service is good, I will tip the food prep people simply as a courtesy and to let them know I appreciate their work to make our stay pleasant.

Cleanliness and food service are two of the most important areas when I'm in a hotel so this HW Suites was disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our Homewood Suites hotel during your recent stay in the area and we apologize for the housekeeping problems you encountered. Dirty rooms are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We also regret we were not able to provide you with the quality of food you expected. We are constantly working to improve our menu offerings and your comments will help us improve in this area. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms and food meet the highest standards in the future. We hope you will give us a second chance if you visit our area in the future.

Reviewed August 26, 2011

I just returned home from my week ling trip up in Maryland. I can say, this has been a horrible week because my sleep, and hotel stay, was a complete disaster. When I checked in this past Sunday, I was able to relax for a few hours once I got into my room. I decided to order in from a local restaurant. After having the food in my room for about 20 minutes, I noticed ants coming in the room. After about an additional 10 minutes, my room was completely overan with ants. The receptionist was nice enough to give me another room at 11pm, which was completely on the other side of the hotel. Imagine having to re-pack everything when you are already exhausted! To make a long story short, over the next few days, my air conditioning stopped working twice, and my new room also got infested with ants on the last night of my stay. I did a little detective work to see where these ants were coming from. I followed them out into the main corriders, and was finally able to see them coming out of one of the sections of carpet. Since it was so late I decided to just get up early and leave without causing a big fuss. This was by far my worst Hilton stay ever. If you want a peaceful place to stay, I definitely won't recommend this place!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank mkroe0001

Thank you for your review. I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a great experience. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and rectify any pest situation that might occur. We have reviewed your comments with our staff and promise the situation has been addressed. We hope that you consider staying with us the next time you are in Baltimore!