Embassy Suites by Hilton Baltimore BWI - Washington Intl. Airport
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Reviewed November 26, 2010

We frequently stay at Embassy Suites as it works well traveling with our children. This was not one of the best that we have stayed at. The lobby is fine and the front desk staff was pleasant. The room was cramped- seemed much smaller than other Embassy Suites and run down. Burn hole in the ottoman, huge red stain right as you walk in the room, dust on the furniture, stains on the couch,a bathroom door that wouldn't close without slamming it (and waking everyone up) and a stale smell in the room.
We ordered room service(very limited menu) and it arrived in a reasonable amount of time but it came with no silverware or napkins. My husband ordered a burger and it was cold and came with no condiments.
The breakfast was adequate but there was no bacon(my son's favorite) and it was not a self serve buffet. The potatoes and sausage were deep fried and I found them unappetizing. The fruit, yogurt and breads were nice and well stocked.
We were there Thanksgiving morning and we went to the pool , the hours were posted as opening at 7am but when we went down there we were told it was not opening until 9am. This was frustrating as we needed to leave to continue our trip and we had promised the kids that we would swim.
There are so many hotels at this location that I would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Management response:Responded December 29, 2010

Beth8520,
Thank you very much for posting. I am glad that several aspects of your stay were pleasant. However, I am concerned about your comments regarding your guest room, Suite Service experience and Breakfast comments. As a Brand, we take great pride in our "Brand Pillars"; including a spacious two-room suite and Complimentary Cooked to Order Breakfast. I am sorry about the condition of your suite. Our Suitekeepers take great pride in their rooms and I am disappointed that you did not experience satisfaction with the condition of your room. I also apologize for your experience with the Food and Beverage operation of the hotel. Families are appreciated with our Brand and we did not live up to expectations with Breakfast or Suite Service. We would appreciate the chance to redeem ourselves. Chuck Chandler

Reviewed November 4, 2010

The hotel was clean enough, and breakfast was nice, however, I have several complaints, which I've brought to the attention of both the hotel management and Hilton. I've found both to be unresponsive.

FIrst, the two computers available (for 15 minutes) in the business center are impossibly slow! I haven't seen such computer response since the early 1990s. I had counted on using those computers (for the 4 days of my stay), and felt cheated especially since I decided not to take my laptop based on the representation made of the business center. Proper advertisement would indicate that 2 ancient computers are available, which may or may not allow you to access your email if you're willing to sit and wait for 10-20 minutes. Don't even think about trying to actually composing/sending email or doing any other kind of work (like confirming a flight).

Second, housekeeping didn't remove the used dishes/plates from my room for the entire time I was there, and also, the hotel didn't make the bed, add towels or do anything else on the 4th night of my stay.

Lastly, I warn visitors about the area and taking the light rail into Baltimore. Hotel management told me that it was safe and nice, but I beg to differ. I would advise extreme caution if you plan to take public transportation into Baltimore.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Management response:Responded December 29, 2010

jahangard,

I appreciate your kind comments regarding your stay and Breakfast. Your concerns regarding our Business Center computers is not without merit. We did have some challenges for a brief period of time while we were upgrading software. Unfortunately, you may have stayed with us during that time. The Embassy Brand is beginning a system wide Business Center refresh program in 2011 and we are excited to be a part. I would anticpate that the upgrade will make the experience much better. I am sorry about your experience with the Light Rail system and your sense of safety. As with many large cities caution is the best policy when headed into the downtown area. Thanks for your response. Chuck Chandler

Reviewed October 17, 2010

Great value for this hotel. The bedroom was a nice size and the living area was perfect. Even though it was only my husband and I, we appreciated that there were two TVs (one in the living room and one in the bedroom) so we could watch different programs. Bathroom was nice as well.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded October 29, 2010

Thanks for choosing to stay with us! The Embassy Brand is a Great Value proposition and we appreciate you recognizing the benefits of the two room suite. It not only works great for families, though as you mention, it works well for couples too. We appreciate your willingness to review the property and hope to have the opportunity to have you stay with us again. Chuck Chandler

Reviewed October 8, 2010

This isn't a bad hotel if you want something convenient to the airport and need a separate bedroom if you have a young child that will be going to sleep early, however, the wait for breakfast was VERY long and seemed unorganized. The night before there seemed to be a party in the atrium and we frequently heard yelling as we were sitting in the "living room" watching a movie. But all in all, the room was clean and it served it's purpose.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Management response:Responded October 11, 2010

Thanks for posting! I am glad you found the hotel to be convenient and clean. One of the Brand pillars of the Embassy Brand is the true two-room suite. Sounds as if you were able to appreciate the ability to close the door and seperate the bedroom from the parlor area. Sometimes after very busy nights the Breakfast area can get very full. We try to provide options for everyone with Cooked to Order, as well as, buffet options for your eggs and hot items. I apologize if it seemed to be a little confusing. Thanks for your understanding with the noise in the atrium too. We try and keep things down so that all are able to enjoy their experiences. Sometimes people can just have 'too much' fun. Thanks for staying with us. Chuck Chandler

Reviewed September 29, 2010

Stayed here for one night while flying out of BWI. Booked the hotel off of Hotwire and got a really nice price considering the other options. The hotel was easily found thanks to plenty of signs leading up. It was within a 5 minute drive to BWI. Check in went smooth, very lively atmosphere when you walk in....there was a guy playing a piano and a lot of buzz. The hotel is beautiful inside but it smelled like a hospital and the elevator smelled of beer.

The room was super nice, 2 nice HD TV's, nice soft bed a dining table, nice spacious bathroom...it's really all you could ask for. The most irritating thing of the night came when the fire alarms kept going off. At one point they sounded for 10 minutes. There was no fire just a lot of confusion since the guests didn't know if it was a real fire. So finally discovered it must've been a malfunction as everyone went back to their rooms. I did go out later and saw the fire lights flashing on the floors but at least they turned off the alarms. Also, something minor but to me speaks about how the hotel is run was there a bucket of some sorts that seemed to be trash just laying in the middle of the floor. It was there at 10pm and then when we left for BWI the next morning at 530am it was still there along with other garbage so I can't imagine somebody from the hotel staff didn't notice this.

But with that being said I can't really say I would not recommend the hotel because of some faulty fire alarms. However after gazing at the prices on the website (around $179 a night) I can safely say I'd never pay that much to stay here for a night before flying out of BWI. There has to be better options to get a good night's sleep and also pay less. Also, if you do spend that much you then have to pay $9.95 to use internet which is also irritating.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded October 11, 2010

Thanks for posting your thoughts on your recent stay. Sounds like despite the challenges with our Alarm, you enjoyed your stay. My apologies for the issues with the Fire Alarm. We are in the process of replacing the main roof of the hotel and were experienceing some pretty severe weather at the time of your stay. Unfortunately, we had some small roof leaks and caused us to have to put a few trash cans around to catch the water. Embassy Suites are a great value. Sounds like you were not able to enjoy our Cooked to Order Breakfast and Manager's Reception. We are now offering Complimetary High Speed Internet to our HHonors Gold and Diamond Members. If you travel, I would encourage joining the HHonors Frequent guest program and take advantage of the Double Dipping for both points and airline miles that is available. Thanks for staying with us.

Reviewed September 21, 2010

This one was a little lower end than I'm used to for an Embassy with a small bar area, lackluster workout equipment (only some dumbells for weights), and a little wear and tear. The rooms were nice and large though and the staff very helpful and appologetic about our issue...we had a huge group partying on our floor that we could hear ALL night as could a good number of guests. It took the staff half of the next day to clean up their mess. If you stay here, be sure to get a good rate.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded September 29, 2010

Bondrey,

Thanks for posting your comments. I appreciate your thoughts regardind the size of the Bar area. On busy nights it can feel a little tight with lots of people enjoying the Manager's Reception. Generally, after the Reception time, the area clears out and becomes a comfortable size for most purposes I apologize if there were items that you typically use for your workout that were not available. Our fitness center has three treadmills, a recumbent bike, and 2 elliptical trainers, along with the full set of dumbells, stretching equipment and medicine balls. Thanks for your kind comments about our team trying to address the noise concerns you experienced. We try hard to try and keep the noise levels down by asking that others respect the fact that they are sharing the hotel with many people. As with all Embassy Suites hotels, we feel we have one of the best value propositions in the business; a two room suite, Complimentary Cooked to Order Breakfast and our nightly Manager's Reception. Hope to have you stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Baltimore. Sincerely, Chuck Chandler

Reviewed August 1, 2010

Tried to call the hotel from baggage claim to request shuttle service. No answer for I swear 50 rings. I hung up and called back. After 15 rings someone answered and out me on hold TWENTY minutes later, while still on hold and standing at the shuttle pick up, an Aloft Hotel shuttle coordinator had his driver take us over. The desk clerk gave a hollow "so sorry about that" but really didn't seem to give a hoot. Oh and there were two shuttles parked out front. By this time it was 9 pm and we needed dinner. The restaurant hostess said they were closed but the bar served the exact same food. We sat down and were completely ignored by the bartender. Five minutes later we left and walked next door to the Westin. Fabulous dinner! If I hadn't prepaid via my useless Hiltom Honors acct we would have moved over to the Westin period. Room was just ok, frayed around the edges, pillows worn out. Business Center has a 15 minute limit on its computers but htg it takes 5 minutes for the web to load a page-archaic Dells. Price was $143 but that was $50 too much. I am a picky but not high maintenance. Poor service is just not acceptable in the hospitality business.

Management response:Responded August 3, 2010

Dear AZ 1464,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. Please know that I will share your comments with our team and use them as an opportunity to learn. I am dissappointed to read your review of the property as we strive daily to provide excellence in our service, operations, and product. We are also concerned about your comments on the furnishings as we recently completed a renovation of the property. Your feedback will be helpful as we continue to try and improve our services. You are correct, in this day, guest service is one of the only things that differentiates one hotel from another. Thank you again. Sincerely, Chuck Chandler.