“Consistency is the key ”
Review of Cafe des Artistes - CLOSED

Cafe des Artistes
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
“Consistency is the key ”
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely amazing! This French restaurant has an outstanding service. Their menu is fantastic, I always order the Filet Mignon well-done, and the flavor was amazing. Tender and moist inside. Not like those you will order in a chain rest. I recommend this restaurant to anyone. It is family friendly, you can ask for the back room if you prefer. The consistent service, flavors and atmosphere makes this place a most in SOMD!

2 Thank Enid C

Lexington Park, Maryland
“An Evening Out”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My son and his six year old daughter were visiting. It was too hot to cook, I picked des Artiste on the occasion because I have always been happy with both the food and the atmosphere. Our reservation for Saturday night at six o'clock was outside as there was to be live music on the Square". Our drinks and gourmet dinner were just what we hoped for and expected. I am told that my grandaughter still talks about her "meal with Gran" as a fun time.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank BARBARA O
Great Mills, Maryland
“Awesome!!”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We have been going to this restaurant for over three years, going several times a year. This restaurant is amazing and the food every time I have been there has been absolutely excellent!! We often order the cheese plate- best I've ever had, the Foie Gras- as good as when I was in Paris, the Lobster Thermidor, the Veal, the Pate- I could go on and on. I can't say enough good things about this Restaurant and have recommended it to several friends who have all loved it. The service is impeccable, as is the atmosphere.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Donna M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“an unexpected/expected delight”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We spent the morning touring beautiful and historic St. Mary's County, Maryland, and taking the advice of other Trip Advisor reviewers, came to the Café. So...on the one hand...we should have expected an excellent meal. But the truth is, even with strong expectations, this restaurant pleasantly surprised us.

Hint: All day Sunday and at lunch times there is a special three course Prix Fixe Menu that offers a long list of tempting appetizers, main courses and dessert for $24.95. This proved to be far better than we ever anticipated in the middle of a rural area where one usually comes to grab some crab delights from a simple eatery. We felt that the quality and presentation of the meal (and we did not at all expect the latter) were equivalent to $60-100 meal in the Washington area. It was that good.

The menu is vast and offers a wide variety of choices. With this in mind, I hesitate to recommend any dish in particular. I had the veal, which I am partial to, and use to judge many restaurants, and it was cooked to perfection, with a delicate sauce that leaned more toward the Italian than the French. Fine with me. The crisp vegetables and the potatoes au gratin were perfect complements. My wife had grilled shrimp as an appetizer and salmon for the main course, and surprised me with the very high marks she gave to both. Because of this, I simply had to taste some, and I could not agree more.

The wine list is excellent, but because it was such a hot, muggy day, we decided on Belgian beer, going for the well known as opposed to the local brews, which are increasingly getting rave reviews.

There are special lunch menus during the week, so we plan to come back. This area of Maryland is so beautiful, historic and so easily reached from Washington, I'm surprised we have overlooked it.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Anthony-Susan
Maryland
“Consistently "Tres Bien"!”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This is the most reliable nice meal in the area. Sometimes the food is too rich for our current eating habits, with more butter and cream than our stomachs are accustomed to. But the food IS good - and we are learning to order carefully.

The lunches are a great deal - and nicely prepared food. This past time, I had a quiche that was light and smooth. Can't remember my husband's choice, but he was 100% satisfied.

Merci to Cafe des Artistes - always "delicieux"!

Visited July 2014