“Always stay here when in the Area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Braddock Inn

BEST WESTERN Braddock Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in LaVale
Maryland
“Always stay here when in the Area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I travel up 2-3 times a year, as we are FSU alumni and she is the Province President for a group there. We always stay at the Best Western, and have never had a bad experience. Always clean, and very courteous staff. Great pool and hot tub, breakfast is good. The hotel would get 5 stars, except that it is a little dated and the Wi-Fi doesn't work all over. I couldn't get any signal in our room on my iPad.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Altoona, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We decided to try another Bestwestern since they are always awesome. Lavale Md what can we say the hotel was beautifully decorated. Clean & of Course the staff very helpful. They made are stay feel like we were King & Queen. We will definitely be back!!!!

Glen Burnie, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is a very nice place to stay. It is also convenient to places to eat and to get to the Firerman's Bash. I like that they have busses come very hour to pick us up for the Bash so we don't have to drive.

,Rockville, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Hotel limits "pet friendly" rooms, with only certain configurations available. No king-sized beds. They smell horrible; the carpet is filthy and has holes in it; and the remaining decor is somewhat shabby. You pay an extra fee for the privilege of staying in such a room. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Jennifer F

Travelers are raving about these LaVale hotels

Willingboro, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is really trying to make it feel like a resort. They have newer furnishings and we definitely had new beds. They are currently putting a new roof on at least the pool area. Breakfast was nice but have different hot items on different days. The pool was nice and hot tub was hot. Very nice, especially for the area. Last year, our hotel was horrible. We may be back next year as well. Be aware, we have tried to stay here before and they were booked. This time was the same, booked ahead of time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Shortly before 11pm, I went out to my vehicle. I heard commotion in the parking lot as I was walking back to the hotel entrance. (Sounded like kids running around which isn’t unusual at this hotel, especially in the summer.) I entered the hotel through an entrance that is not secured. Once you enter you can either go up a flight of stairs on the right or down a flight of stairs on the left. I went up the flight of stairs on the right. As I approached the top of the stairs, I heard more running around behind me. I turned around, looked down the stairs and through the glass windows and saw a guy out of breath crouched down behind some boulders just outside the entrance. It looked like they were playing hide and seek. After a few seconds, I turn around and continued on. I then heard someone run in and down the set of stairs that are on the left. (He would not have gotten in the hotel if the hotel entrances were secured.)

I returned to my vehicle a few minutes later. This time there were two police cars in the parking lot.

Police were crawling all over the hotel and parking lot. They were searching with flashlights and had at least one police dog. It seemed to quiet down shortly before 2am, so I thought they were wrapping it up. There wasn’t as much activity in the parking lot as there was earlier.

At approximately 5:30am, I was awakened by a call from the front desk saying that I needed go down to the lobby so they could check the electrical system and then I could go back to the room afterwards. (I’m not sure exactly what he said since I was half asleep.) I asked if everyone was being evacuated and he said yes. However, I did not hear any alarm or any doors opening/closing. In fact, the hotel was very quiet. After I lay in bed a moment trying to process the information, I decided to get up and look through the peep hole. What I saw started a panic in me. Armed police! At this point I didn’t think, only reacted. As quickly as I could, I got dressed and packed up my belongings. I was about halfway through packing when they started knocking on the door, getting louder and more forceful each time. I thought that, for whatever reason, they were after me! I was scared out of my mind. The last bang on the door was so loud I felt that, if I didn’t come out immediately, they would break in the door the next time. I yelled that I was coming out. I was met by a dozen or more SWAT officers with their guns pointed in my direction. As quickly as I could, I hurried down the hallway to the lobby. At one point they started to put their hands on me and would not let me leave the hotel.

Days later, I found out that the guy who ran in behind me had robbed (at gun point) the Pizza Hut employees next to the Best Western. He had two accomplices.

Hotel staff lied to get guests out of their rooms. Both the Best Western staff and the Maryland State Police could have handled the whole situation differently. Hard to believe that the hotel wasn’t evacuated earlier since they all knew there were potentially armed suspects in the building. Walking around (inside the hotel) that night, no one (neither staff nor police) said anything to me. Bottom line: The Best Western in LaVale, MD is not secured!

Funny how I get a request to complete a survey from every hotel I stay in except this one time. Stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Michael W
Pasadena, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

WIreless in the room did not work on all devices I had. Called the front desk and was told I could come to the lobby to use the internet. When I checked out the next morning I asked about the wireless and they said they were having problems but it was not the fault of the hotel. When I asked to have an adjustment made on my bill the clerk looked at my rate and said since I had a good rate already, she couldn't do anything. I guess you can only have adjustments if you pay full price or something. Problem was resolved when I spoke to corporate.

1 Thank DaveNap
Also consider these accommodations in or near LaVale
Comfort Inn & Suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cumberland
Hampton Inn Frostburg
Hampton Inn Frostburg
#1 of 6 in Frostburg

Been to BEST WESTERN Braddock Inn? Share your experiences!