“I Wonder Why this is a Best Western Plus?”

Best Western Braddock Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in LaVale
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This motel was OK. You could tell that it had been around for a while and it was rough around some of the edges. The room was large and the beds comfortable - it was a first floor room in the "newer" area (that doesn't mean it is new though). sice we had two double beds there was no room for an easy chair though so I had to sit on the bed while my husband used the desk chair. The internet was very slow and it drove me nuts. The microwave in the room wasn't plugged in and there was no outlet close enough for us to plug it in. We ended up using a power strip we travel with. The little laminated card that had the TV channel listing was dirty and sticky. The lady at the front desk said it should have been wiped clean by the room attendants, obviously it was missed - she cleaned it for me. Breakfast was not the best from my perspective. They had scrambled eggs but they tasted funky. There were some small sausages that seemed undercooked - I dug around and found one that was browned a little bit more. It was very tasty. They had Raisin Bran (my favorite cereal) but didn't have skim milk. I have found a few BWs that have skim milk but most seem to only offer 2% and whole milk. The hotel had great OJ - the best I have had in two weeks of one night hotel stays and I have been staying in Hampton Inns and Fairfield Inns. The coffee was not good - I had to toss it as it had no flavor of any kind. The hotel only offered dry coffee creamer and didn't have any of those little liquid creamer containers you see so often. I probably wouldn't stay here again but it was fine for one night.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed one night in this bed and breakfast. It is a basic hotel, but is also significantly cheaper than the Comfort Inn down the way. It was a fine hotel with basic rooms and overall was clean, but its still an off the highway, cheaper hotel. The rooms had suprisingly nice linens and the bathrooms were large with a nice shower with real water pressure. The hallways in the hotel are well lit, but hot. I am not sure they had the ac on in the actual hotel. The room cooled down very quickly, in fact i managed to get cold even with it being 90 outside! The ac units are old with a dial to select how cold or hot you want it, and they are louder than the new ones usually are. This did nit create a problem for me, but i could see people complaining about it. They have a nice indoor pool that would be great if you have children. They also have a pool table for entertainment. The front desk staff was very nice to me and even gave me a little toothpaste when I realized I forgot mine. The hotel is near a bowling alley, seafood restaurant and a bunch of fast food joints. All in all, this was a solid hotel. Ou get what you are expecting for that price and location. I would stay there again without concern. However, if you like nicer hotels, or find ourself to be a complainer when it comes to small details in a hotel, I'd find somewhere else. If you're just looking for a clean place to stay, you'll be perfectly happy here.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Best Western Braddock Motor Inn, and it met our expectations. Our room had 2 queens and there was plenty of room--they even let us bring our bikes up if we wanted. The kids enjoyed the heated pool after a day of biking. (The hot tub jets weren't working on the spa, but that wasn't a big issue for us.) There is also an exercise room with sauna, weight machines, steppers, and treadmill. Breakfast was included, with cold cereal, instant oatmeal, make your own waffles, muffins, toast, tea, coffee, juice, etc. There was also another hot food option each day--one day sausage and scrambled eggs, which were pretty good; and the next day, biscuits and gravy, which we didn't try. The carpets and window sills weren't spotless, but sheets and towels were. It's in a convenient location to Rt 68, but still quiet, and the desk staff were helpful when we asked questions. We would stay again.

Room Tip: If stairs are difficult, ask for main floor, as elevators/luggage trollies are limited.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I lived in the Lavale/Cumberland MD area as a boy many years ago and was returning for a visit. This property has been here as long as I can remember. It has been well maintained and is perfectly fine for an overnight stay. They have an indoor pool that seems to be a favorite for families with kids - something other hotels in the area probably do not have. The room was clean and the bed and pillows comfortable. The AC unit was noisy and located inside the room in a cabinet and apparently vented to the outside by passing under the enclosed sink. As a result, the hot exhaust air heated the cold water pipes so the first minute of "cold" water was very warm. My room had a shower and the shower rim was high enough you could have used it for a tub if you were a duck. The room was non smoking and free of fumes, but the corridor smelled of smoke to me, although there was no evidence of anyone currently smoking. I paid $68 for a Thursday night ahead of a "big weekend" where the rates were nearly double for hotels in the area. As a Best Western, this one was about on par with others as a middle of the line motel. Breakfast was adequate, but barely - can't say that I love motel orange juice or the perfectly circular "eggs" that were served. (If you stay in motels, you recognize immediately the orange juice dispenser that puts out OJ that tastes like it was made partly from the rind as well as the pulp - travellers, you know what I mean. Compare rates for this property and the Sleep Inn in Frostburg. It is perhaps a bit more basic, but might be cheaper.

Room Tip: Some rooms are on a lower level and some on a higher level. Because the property slopes, you can en...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I took one of the smaller rooms at the BW Braddock Motor Inn for one night. It's accommodations appeared basic, if dated, with just enough space for our luggage (one bag and a carry on) and a tiny desk on which to put our laptop. Ok, hey, we're only staying one night.

But the room was quite warm, so we decided to turn on the a/c unit. Since the windows at this hotel are glass block the a/c unit is part of the chest of drawers. Which means it's right at the foot of the bed. Which means it's loud and cycling on/off throughout the night. Add to it the fact that the control panel was pretty dinged up (and thus the a/c temp dial impossible to turn) we were left with whatever setting the a/c unit had to start with.

The shower was another trip. There is no tub, just a shower stall. It's controls either turned the water on the cold side or the hot. No inbetween. Quite the challenge. The door into the toilet/shower room was also rather warped. So opening it and closing it required a healthy push/pull.

But, hey, at least the wi-fi works. And the room was less than $65 a night.

What does not work however (and this is not a fault of the hotel) is smart phone access. Neither of our Droid phones could get anything more that 1X coverage--and that was intermittent at best. So, if you need access to those devices be aware--you could be in for some difficulty.

Room Tip: Be aware that the double bed rooms are very tiny.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MongoSchwartz
Reviewed July 26, 2012

A very beautiful, well maintained hotel with a lot of character. The indoor pool is large and clean without the steamy chlorine smell of many indoor pools. Water temp is just right. Skylights provide nice lighting, Just a look at the many well cared for indoor plants lets you know that you will be well cared for! Our family of five got adjoining rooms at a great price-it was on the lower floor and there may have been some moisture issues in our room (142) it was a bit musty but it is such a beautiful hotel that I just opened the window & forgot about it! The room that my children stayed in was odor free. I stayed here 2 years ago and it was great then also, A great hotel for a longer stay because of all the nice outdoor areas surrounding the building-a swing, a bbq pit, picnic table all beside a babbling stream. Outside of the pool area is a nice shaded deck with sitting areas. This is an older hotel but that is a plus for me because it has sort of a retro (which I love) feel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed here during a recent power outage, and I am so glad to have found a hotel with such a nice pool for the kids. My kids spent a lot of time in the large and well maintained pool. My husband and I enjoyed being able to sit on the outside deck next to the pool, where we were able to watch the kids swim, but be away from the water while we worked on our computers. Breakfast was just ok...weak coffee, and not much selection, but it served its purpose, and I liked the fact that it was available until 10 am. The room was clean, the location was great, and I liked having to use the key card to get in the door from the parking lot. The fridge and microwave in the room was a huge plus, as was the professional front desk staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near LaVale
Comfort Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Frostburg
#1 of 6 in Frostburg
Quality Inn & Suites Frostburg
Sleep Inn & Suites Cumberland

Been to Best Western Braddock Inn? Share your experiences!