“Choose Another Restaurant...Bad Business Tactics”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Western Sizzlin Steak House - CLOSED

Western Sizzlin Steak House
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cumberland, Maryland
“Choose Another Restaurant...Bad Business Tactics”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

One would think that in a economically depressed area such as LaVale, MD, and with Western Sizzlin trying to build up their clientele for the new breakfast buffet, they would be more courteous to their customers. For some time, WS has had coupons in the local newspaper for their breakfast buffet, $4.29 and free coffee. I had family in town for Saturday and called and talked to Stacy on Friday asking if I needed one coupon per person OR if one coupon would cover the whole group (6 total). She said I only needed ONE coupon for the whole group. When we arrived Saturday morning and in approaching the cashier, I noticed a woman in front of me had 3 coupons (one for each in her party). I told her that she only needed one coupon for the whole group! The cashier who had been getting drinks, turned around, and looked at me and very bluntly told me that EACH person needed their own!! I saw RED!! I, waving the coupon, told her "Oh no, I called here yesterday and talked with Stacy and she said I only needed ONE coupon for the whole group". She replied, "We were told this morning that each person needed their own". I simply turned to my family and said, "We're off to Ponderosa"!! I will not be lured into the restaurant offering one thing, get there, and YOU change the rules!! You see, even though we live in a depressed area, there ARE many other restaurants we can frequent!! It will be my last time in Western Sizzlin and I am spreading the word!! I'm assuming since we were treated so badly, WS doesn't need the business!! So, you risked losing 6 loyal customers for the sake of free coffee? Really? My suggestion from now is: Either make your coupons clear and concise, OR, don't offer them at all!! I DO NOT, like many other people, like being lured in and then getting a different story inside. Thank goodness, a person can always walk out and I am happy when they do! P.S. If I was told the correct information in the first place, I would have been more than happy to have a coupon for each - you see, both my brother & his wife work at the local newspaper, so getting the coupons would have been no problem!! Sounds like you need a new PR person!! BTW, we had a wonderful breakfast @ Ponderosa, right across the street!

Visited June 2013
4 Thank msscarlett55

WV
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I get tired of Buffets, lot of variety, but same old , same old...so, we went to Western Sizzlin, I asked if they had a Sr citizen menu- I was told only a Sr discount. I decided to get their smallest steak the "reg sirloin ", which included a pototo. Then, she suggested the special, which was a 6 oz sirlon, potato, salad & a slice of TexasToast. I was told I couldn't receive a Sr. & discount on the special, because of the "add-ons" I get with the special.-it cost 9$ something, which the regular sirloin was $8.99, so I got the special. My husband got the buffet, costing less than 9$. Our waitress was courteous, & my order came quickly. My steak was cooked medium, as I ordered, however, the taste, tenderness was mediocre. My salad, crispy,but in such a small bowl, if I tried to cut it, it would spill out on the table. The blue cheese dressing tasted like a cheap bottled dressing. The french fries where hot, but tasted like old frozen french fries, or left in the grease too long.As for the Texas Toast, it was less then to be desired. It was only "barely grilled" on oneside only, the other side was soft, --undone. I guess for the price, I didn't expect "goumet" & maybe I should have just ate at Ponderosa. It is about the same buffet, but at least they offer a Senior's menu & a buffet at a much lower cost.

• Visited June 2013
Cumberland, Maryland
“Gave it another try and wished we hadn't”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We used to go to Western Sizzling frequently, then the food began to look old and reheated. Not very appealing. Friends told us they had been making changes so we went New Years Day. Still seen dishes that looked old and it was only 1 p.m in afternoon. Plus had insects on peaches. I kindly pointed out to staff. They removed the peaches but not once did wait staff or manager come over and address it with us. We won't be going back.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank RobErickKel
Germantown, Maryland
“Nothing like the other reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

This restaurant had fresh meats. Liked the open fire - roasting chickens. Made for a nice atmosphere. The our waiter was friendly and the food came out quick. He offered us refills plenty of times. No problems with service at all (and there were a few children in the restaurant and someone's 60th birthday lunch going on). I got the chicken sub and it was delicious. Bread tasted fresh. Although not on the menu, I asked if they had sweet potato fries - which they did. So I was a happy camper.

Visited January 2013
Cumberland, Maryland
“Thanks For A Good Evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We attended a Navy Dinner at the Western Sizzlin' in LaVale on Saturday, October 20,2012. We were situated in the back room of the resturant near the Hot'n'Cold buffet bar. There were about 40+ people in attendance, everyone enjoyed 'hot' food at their convenience, the atmosphere was good and the staff was more than accomodating. The Western Sizzlin' was chosen for this dinner because we knew we could count on them for a variety of hot food and a good salad and bread bar selection. They didn't disappoint us and if we have a NAVY dinner next year, we will again choose the Western Sizzlin...

• Visited October 2012