“It has everything”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in LaVale
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had a very nice 4-day stay at this hotel in September 2013. It was great. It's modern, well furnished and decorated, with a spacious lobby. Our room was very clean, quiet and comfortable; TV reception was good. We liked the full breakfast, and used the heated indoor pool, well-equpped workout room, laundry, and computer for guest use. We also thought it was very reasonably priced, considering all it had. Staff were friendly and helpful. We'll stay there again next time we're in the area.

Room Tip: Any room is good. We expected some noise on the first floor, but it was very quiet in our room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Fred L, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

We appreciate you choosing our hotel as well as taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I'm glad you had a pleasant experience during your four day stay. This allowed you time to enjoy the many amenities we offer here. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again!

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn & Suites

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Western Maryland and Pennsylvania north towards Altoona are very beautiful in the fall with all the colors. I chose this hotel due to its location as a good base from which to explore and the good reviews it has received. Also, just an easy 2 hour 15 minute drive from Howard County, MD- very simple.
I had requested the top floor and quiet location facing the back away from the elevator and vending machines- I received that. Thank you. At first I thought the traffic noise from 68 ( which you can easily see from the window) may possibly bother me, but the building is decently sound proofed. I only barely heard it and I am a light sleeper. I did not need my ear plugs. There is a stream running along side the hotel property which is nice to look out on from a room facing the back and the side hallway window.
Bittany checked me in- she is an outstanding employee. Please note check in is at 2:00 pm and check out is 12:00 pm. She mentioned earlier check ins can be requested. Nice when vacation traveling as it gives you time to get to the hotel and then do some afternoon exploring, and then also the next morning before checking out by noon for the drive back.
The room was pleasant, nice and clean and comfortable. Bed was fine- not hard and not too soft.
I thought $98 with the AAA discount for a Sunday night was a little high, but I did not feel ripped off. I had to investigate the alternatives though before choosing this hotel because of the price.

The included breakfast was fine- my impression is they are trying to make it comparable to what you would get at a Hampton Inn- and it was pretty close. Breakfast staff person was efficient and pleasant. The hotel has only 1 elevator, and the cleaning staff with their bulky bins sometimes use it when you need it, but this is an observation more than a complaint. I never had to wait very long for it.

There was nothing wrong with my room that I noticed during my one night stay. All was in good working order. Good air and heat too and not so loud as is the case in some hotels.

I think the hotel needs to realize the Texas Grill next door is not that good of a place to eat (at least some of the time) and staff should suggest alternatives in addition to guests who ask about it. They have the menu in the room which is out of date- as the prices are now higher, but they also have the folder in the room with information on other restaurants. Perhaps I should have asked more questions. I would have been glad to drive up to a few minutes away for an alternative to the Texas Grill but the front desk seems to think Texas Grill is fine. I can tell you my experience there was mediocre if even that.

I would stay at this Comfort Inn again without any second thoughts. Choice Hotels sometimes has specials if you book farther ahead instead of the day before as I did. I did overhear people coming in without reservations to see if rooms were available and the rate quoted to them was the same as I saw on the websight without AAA and then the same with AAA. So, that is very fair. This is important to note because increasingly, some Hampton Inns are playing last minute games with rates by as much as $50 or even more per night. This is absolutely true- keep checking the websites, especially after the cancellation time passes the price can drop.

The overall impression I have is the staff at this Comfort Inn would do anything reasonable to make sure guests are satisfied and happy. So, while the property is a solid 4 rating, (definitely not a 5) the service merits going ahead and giving this property a 5. Customer service counts.

Room Tip: If you have certain requests, I think they will try to fullfill them whenever possible. My 3rd floor...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for choosing our hotel and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is greatly appreciated by our hotel staff as well as being helpful to others when making lodging decisions for this area. I especially want to thank you for the compliment pertaining to your customer service experience. Guest comfort and satisfaction is our priority. We want you to come back!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night during Oct. 2013. We came to ride the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, which I also reviewed. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful! My wife and I enjoyed the jacuzzi and the fitness room, which had 2 treadmills and a weight machine. The free breakfast was enjoyable, as well. I would highly recommend this hotel if you need a room in this part of Maryland.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fred L, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Brian,

Thanks for choosing our hotel and taking the time to share your experience with the travelers visiting our area and relying on Tripadvisor for feedback.
I appreciate the fact that you and your wife took the time to visit our pool/whirlpool as well as our 24 hour workout room and found these areas to be an asset to your visit. Many of our guests visit the area to enjoy the various Western Maryland Scenic Railroad excursions and will value your feedback.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

The staff were wonderful and friendly. If they could fix the room smell they would really have something. The room had a musty odor in it that I could not put my finger on because everything looked clean. It was good for a one night stay for the price.

• Stayed: October 2013

I must apologize that you found your room to be odiferous. If you have a problem with your room at our hotel and we are not able to correct it, we don't expect you to pay! Thanks for taking notice to the superior Guest Service Agents we have. I will share your review with them and I hope you consider staying at our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

A group of six of us were staying here the night before a big race. We had to be at the race by 5:45am the next morning, well before breakfast is usually served. There were other groups in the same boat and when we asked if breakfast could be served early, we were told that they would try very hard to make that happen. Came down at 5:20am to see a whole slew of people enjoying the food/beverages that had been set out bright and early! Thanks Comfort Inn! We appreciate the special service!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback, others planning on visiting the area do as well. I'm happy we were able to better serve participants in the marathon by bending the rules and starting our breakfast earlier. When customer service is a high priority, you may have to bend the rules. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed in this hotel over one weekend in September, 2013. Our room with two queen beds was roomy and the beds were comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was average as far as taste goes (scrambled eggs weren't very good), but it certainly had plenty of hot and cold choices. Our room had several features which impressed me; I wish all hotel rooms had these features: (1) There were plenty of electrical outlets and they were easily accessible; not hidden behind beds or end tables. (2) There was a direct plug-in connection to the Internet. Most hotels have Wifi in the rooms and it often doesn't work or goes down frequently. (3) Besides a luggage rack, there was a low shelf to hold another suitcase and it had a large storage drawer underneath. (4) In addition to the desk chair, there were two comfortable chairs, one with an ottoman. (5) My favorite feature: The bathroom sink was in the corner, so there were 3 angled mirrors above the sink. In addition, there was a full length mirror on the bathroom door, so it was easy to arrange the mirrors to see both sides and the back of your head when using the hairdryer. We also enjoyed the complimentary warm chocolate chip cookies in the afternoons. The staff was friendly and helpful. Will stay here again if we are back in the Cumberland area.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Fred L, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be shared with all of our staff. I'm glad your guestroom provided you with features that many hotels lack. It is always nice to have easily accessed electrical outlets as well as having an option for wired or wireless Internet. I'm sorry you didn't like the taste of our scrambled eggs, but I'm certainly glad we had plenty of other breakfast items for you to choose from. I do appreciate you choosing our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed here with my husband on the night of 9/27. While the hotel is good, the staff is outstanding. They allowed me to park my car at the property the night before we checked in (ended up with 2 cars because husband and I came from two different places) and allowed me to keep parking it there until late on 9/28, there merely asked me to park it in a remote corner of their lot (a very reasonable request). Then when we checked in the front desk staff even remembered me from the night before and were as friendly as could be.

The public areas of the hotel are in excellent shape and very comfortable. I was immediately impressed by the lobby area of the hotel. This is where breakfast is served and the breakfast is definitely a home run! They had a variety of cold items and a few hot items. I'm sure even the pickiest person could find something to suit them here.

Husband and I stayed in, I believe, room 227. It was a whirlpool room. The room felt cavernous, it seemed empty. The whirlpool was fabulous. The bed didn't do much for me, I woke up stiff several times during the night. Beds are pretty subjective so your mileage may differ, my husband didn't have the same trouble I did and we were using the same bed at the same time. We also found the room to be on the warm side and couldn't get the A/C unit to really, really cool it down. To be fair, I always seem to be warm.

Overall, a very nice hotel and definitely lives up to the good reviews it receives. Certainly worth staying at if you're passing through or choosing to visit the Cumberland area.

Room Tip: Smaller room numbers on each floor are further away from the elevators and are thus quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fred L, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking the time to review your stay on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is very important to us as well as other folks planning on visiting our area.
I appreciate the compliment you gave our staff and will share your review with them. We always try to go above and beyond when it comes to customer service and satisfaction. We've recently remodeled our lobby and breakfast areas to reflect a more contemporary atmosphere and I'm glad you found these areas to be clean and comfortable. We hope you come and stay with us again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near LaVale
Best Western Braddock Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites La Vale - Cumberland
Hampton Inn Frostburg
Hampton Inn Frostburg
#1 of 6 in Frostburg

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!