“Great Location and very friendly new management”

Northeast Garden Inn
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Laurel
Virginia
“Great Location and very friendly new management”
Reviewed December 27, 2009

This is a great location to stay in Laurel, MD. Big Hotel with inside and outside rooms of your choice. Impressive lobby and rooms in the Tower. Great value.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I recently stayed there with my Youth Church Group because it was a miday point between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore since we were going to visit both places.  Upon entering my non-smoking room, I immediately smelled cigarette smoke.  I turned on the A/C to get some air circulating and looked up at the ceiling to see that the room's smoke detector had been ripped off the wall, wires were sticking out, the qeen sized beds we were expecting based on information from the website were nonexistent - we had small doubles and the exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work.  I called the front desk requesting additional towels in the room and had to physically go to the front desk twice to remind them, needless to say I finally received the towels at 9:45 that night. The hotel boasts about having a restuarant, however the restaurant was closed on the day we checked in (a Monday).  There is a menu for the restaurant in each room, however that was not updated - we took the youth downstairs expecting an all you can eat buffet (based on the menu in the room) only to find that only thing open was the bar.  The hotel website also boasts about having high speed wireless internet, but no one could get a connection anywhere on-site.  There were some hotel guests smoking directly in front of the door leading to the non-smoking rooms and smoke was just wafting through the hallway.  We walked through the smoke to complain at the front desk and were told, "Oh, they are guests, they just rent out our banquet room for their monthly meetings, but we have told them numerous times that they are not to do that" and if we saw them again to please come and let them know.  We only stayed two nights, but it was not pleasant.  Most of the people traveling with me had complaints.  I voiced these when we checked out, gave my contact information and was told a manager would be calling me later that day.  When I didn't hear from him, I called back the next day and left him a message.  It has been a week and I still haven't heard from him.  If you have to be in Laurel, Maryland DO NOT stay in the Laurel Inn, formerly the Ramada Inn Laurel.

• Stayed June 2009
indi
Reviewed April 28, 2009

This hotel was in the middle of remodeling. The morning hotel staff was great. I worked with Shari and Lauren and they were great to work with in the morning. Rooms were nice. It was close to a lot of shopping (great for groups). Night staff was not very friendly.

• Stayed April 2009
West Virginia
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Picture the dumpiest hotel you've ever seen, multiply it by ten and you've got the Ramada in Laurel. We stayed one night and couldn't wait to get out of there in the morning. There was SO much damage to the room--the front door was filthy, the headboard was pulled off the wall and cracked, the clothes rack was pulled off the wall, it looked like the bathroom door had been kicked in. The sink handle came right off when you tried to use it, the a/c didn't work, the sheets smelled badly of smoke, despite being in a non-smoking room. There was dirt and filth on all the walls and in every corner. I could have saved myself the money and spent the night in the local dump for the same experience.

• Liked — not a thing
  • Disliked — the filth
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
columbia, md
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I stayed 3 nights in a room that was suppose to provide "free wireless internet access". I was told all I needed was a card, which I bought the first night, showed the manager, he told me it should work. When it didn't, I bought a more expensive card, still no service, so I thought it might be my old computer.

I bought a new computer and still no service, this was on the 3rd day. When I called front desk they told me I could get the service in the lobby or dining room, even though access was listed as a GUEST ROOM amenity.

It was explained to me that "most rooms" do get access, but mine didn't. I had to plead for 45 minutes with the manager to move me to a room where I could get access, who was complaining the whole time, I should just wait until the next day after spending 3 days already without the service. FINALLY AROUND 5PM THE 4TH DAY I WAS UPGRADED TO A ROOM THAT DID GET ACCESS, BUT WAS TOO TIRED TO GET ANY WORK DONE.

I was planning on staying two weeks, but the rudeness, ineptness, cluelessness of the staff made my experience miserable. I was repeatedly told how no other guest ever complained about using the internet in the lobby, even though they were advertising guest room access.

Otherwise, the place is clean enough, (I tip well so), and if you just want a place to lay your head, it's better than some. But ask for any of their advertised amenities, and they'll talk your head off, about what a great discount they already gave you, really need staff training here

• Liked — The room was clean, and housing staff was accomodating
  • Disliked — They didn't have internet access in all rooms, even though they advertised it as a guest room amenity, and they were rude about it
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
johnstown
Reviewed June 1, 2008

I went on a trip with my school to washington d.c. We spent two nights at the ramada and everyone couldn't wait to leave. The first night we were all expecting to go swimming but little did we know there was no water in the pool. So we could not swim. In my hotel room the toliet was not working and would not flush, thus causing it not to be used. The bathroom was very crowded and the bathroom door almost touched the toliet. The knobs on the airconditioner were broken making it difficult to adjust. The breakfast in the morning was terrible. We thought there was gonna be a hot breakfast but all there was was little boxes of ceral and muffins. So we had to go to dunkin donoughts. The second night at the hotel was just as bad. People claimed stuff had been stolen from there rooms and some people couldn't even get into there rooms because of there hotel card. they had to distribute new cards to them people. We also had trouble getting the telivision to work the second night, but eventually it worked. What I am trying to say here is. STAY AWAY.!

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Watkins Glen, New York
Reviewed November 27, 2007

After reading the reviews on this site, I hemmed and hawed about where
to put my family on our vacation. Saving money on the hotel, in order to spend it elsewhere on our trip, was important. I decided that I would book the room and then move, if it wasn't acceptable. When I called the hotels.com number, I asked them about getting a reservation
in the tower. I was told that it was an additional charge, over the $60, per night. I went straight to the Ramada site and found rooms with an interior entrance and figured that it must be the tower and that I was getting lucky, as they were only $70 per night!

I did get lucky. The staff was friendly, letting us check-in a bit early, without charging us. The room WAS in the tower and was right off of the elevator and stairs (perfect with three children). It was non-smoking and didn't smell any other way (the whole place smelled clean). The room was clean, as were the hallways and stairwells. We were never "bothered" by the cleaning staff and they did a good job of cleaning around all of our stuff. The hotel was located perfectly for our trip, as we were going to be spending time in both Baltimore and D.C. It was convenient to have the stores and restaurants so close by...Don't get me wrong, I probably wouldn't go wandering around
alone at night, but that's the way it is anywhere anymore. All in all,
I would say that I would definitely stay here again - especially if I can get a tower room for that price again!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Should have brought my own pillow AND started with a street map of DC - got horribly lost!!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family