“Excellent”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Laurel
Mobile, Alabama
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

This facility is excellent. I recently stayed at a HIE in Northeastern Georgia that was extremely sub-par. (I will not name it as I spoke with the Manager there).This is a 2 year old building which is very nice. I was treated with the utmost respect from all the staff. My room was extremely clean and neat when I checked in.

Even though there was a party going on when I checked in with semi-loud music I could not hear anything, and I was on the second floor. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone remotely in this area. After my previous experience with HIE I was considering going to the Hampton Inn in Laurel,MD I've very glad I didn't. Thank you so much to the staff of this hotel. Keep up the good work! Also I was late to Breakfast and the hotel was accommodating enough to wait a few minutes for me.

This stay was so pleasant I had to talk to the manager about it, who was also awesome!
One last thing I felt that I was safe as well as my belongings, definitely don't get that at every hotel.

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor very close to the elevators which was helpful in bringing up my gear...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Sara F, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Laurel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor! The team at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Laurel Lakes are humbled by your kind words and are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you. I am so happy you chose to stay with us and gave us the opportunity to exceed all your expectations. I am excited to know that you enjoyed all of our amenities, the staff and the aesthetics of our property. Thank you again for choosing us and I hope you will come back and visit us again!

Sara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Finnish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Up until this stay, it had been four years since I had last stayed at a Holiday Inn property. Now I remember why.

I was part of a small group attending the Otakon anime convention up in Baltimore, and the Holiday Inn Express was booked by the person organizing the trip, so my name doesn't appear in registration records and I had no say in where we stayed.

First, the positives: The hotel and rooms were clean and recently updated with modern decor. Rooms were well appointed with large flat-screen TV and micro-fridge. Breakfast was fine. Staff was polite and friendly. The beds were comfortable.

Negatives include a large group congregating outside the main entrance early Sunday morning, making us uneasy. The wi-fi worked well enough, but when it would reset for the day, you would have to shut down and reboot your computer in order to access the login screen again, which was irritating.

But the biggest negative involves service. Staff dropped the ball on several occasions. We arrived late Friday night. Due to a last-minute addition to our party, we needed a rollaway bed. We called and requested one be brought up to our room, agreeing to the extra charge. Over an hour later, no bed. We called the front desk again. They told us that they thought that we had declined the rollaway because of the fee. We had to tell them again that we agreed to having the bed brought up to the room, and finally it arrived.

We left early Saturday morning for our event. Some members of our group returned to the hotel about 8:00 PM, to find that the beds had been made, but the bathroom had been untouched - new towels were not brought up and the tub had definitely not been cleaned. So at about 2:00 in the morning, after everyone in the group had gotten back to the hotel, we had to call for towels. Fortunately, unlike with the rollaway, the towels were brought up quickly.

But the worst part of it all is that we were told by the hotel security officer that our door had been left open for a good part of the day! The door must have been left open by housekeeping since they were the last ones in the room (i.e., we had left the hotel before they cleaned the rooms and didn't return until night.)

I think it goes without saying that this is a major breach of security and privacy. Fortunately nothing was stolen, but it very well could have happened, and members of our group had our laptops and tablets in there. This also begs the question: Security made several rounds during the day with the door to our room open. Why didn't they shut it? That would be the logical thing to do, instead of having the hotel risk a lawsuit over stolen items.

I mean, the rollaway bed? It's easy to misinterpret things over the phone. The half-done bathroom? Perhaps the housekeeper thought we intended to reuse the towels (even though all of them were on the floor; it's almost as if they never looked into the bathroom when cleaning.) But leaving a guest's room door open for hours is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Bottom line is this: Your hotel can have freshly renovated rooms and cutting-edge luxury amenities. Your hotel can have hip, trendy decor and cool blue lights highlighting the exterior at night. Your staff can be all smiles and welcome guests with a warm greeting. But if said staff doesn't have their act together and forgets things like cleaning bathrooms and closing room doors, then your hotel has serious problems that need to be addressed by management.

My prior Holiday Inn Express stay had them putting me up in a smoking room. The one before that, at a full-service Holiday Inn, involved questionable billing practices. Given these past two issues, plus the issues during this stay, it is highly probable I will not darken the doors of another Holiday Inn/IHG property again.

Room Tip: Make sure housekeeping shuts your door when they're done cleaning!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Laurel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear LGILMAN479,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comprehensive review about your stay. It is pleasing to know that our rooms were comfortable enough for your needs and our breakfast offered met your liking. While we appreciate the nice words, we are sincerely sorry that the level of service received on this occasion prevented you from fully enjoying your stay with us. Your feedback is essential for us to improve on what we can offer.

Best Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mount Vernon, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Wonderful stay, perfect for our needs (shuttle p/u from BWI & shuttles to Greenbelt metro) to visit DC on a budget. Nice location, nearby restaurants, better than average breakfast, and attentive staff. Mr. Wayne is wonderful and courteous shuttle driver who made for a better than expected chauffeur! Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Laurie,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Laurel Lakes and giving us the honor of serving you and your family! I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and our staff was able to exceed all your expectations, especially Mr. Wayne. I have shared your comments with him and he was humbled by your kind words. Please come back and visit us soon as Mr. Wayne and my team would love to host you and your family again.

Texas City
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Great hotel! The rooms were great, beds were comfortable and clean. Not far from the D.C. attractions. The breakfast was great and the hotel staff were very professional and nice. I definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jose,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a great review on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to have had the opportunity to serve you and excited to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Laurel Lakes. I am personally delighted to hear that our staff was professional and our rooms exceeded your expectations. We are located in the perfect location right between Baltimore and D.C, and hope you had a great time in time in D.C. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and recommending us to your friends. I hope you will come back and visit us soon Jose!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I love this hotel, Beds are amazing, so quiet around the area, great food places around it. Staff is awesome, I come here all the time, and would highly recommend it. I also used this hotel to stay a bunch of family once who came down to visit. They all loved it too!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Nomie H
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to first thank you for being such a loyal customer to Holiday Inn Express and Suites Laurel Lakes and giving us the continual opportunity to serve you. We are extremely humbled by your positive feedback and could not be more grateful to host you at our property. I am delighted to hear that all our staff was friendly, professional and accommodating to you, and your family. We take pride in acknowledging all our returning guests and providing the best services to all our guests. I would love to have the opportunity to introduce myself the next time you are in town! Thank you again for your loyalty to the IHG brand, particularly to our property. We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Branford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Everything was very good. Jessica greated us well, told us of eating places......
Room was clean, quiet, and good size. Everyone was helpful and informative about the area.
The breakfast was very good with a lot of selection. I can se why they are number one in Laurel Pa.
We have used HIE many time and we have found this one very similar to others so we would return if we come back to this area.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sara F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Laurel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Laurel and giving us the opportunity to serve you. We are greatly humbled by your positive feedback and are happy to hear you will come back to visit us soon. I am happy Ms. Jessica was able to assist you during your stay with us and will share your kind words with her. We take pride in providing exception service to all our guests and going above and beyond to exceed their expectations. Please visit us again soon. We look forward to seeing you and serving you again!

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 10, 2014

If you have more than 4 people in your party, then don't rely on the pull-out sofa bed. It is extremely uncomfortable - you can literally feel each and every spring coil.

There was only one person/manager on duty at night, who tried his best, but would not give an additional room for free. Whereas the manager in the morning stated that the we should have been offered a complimentary room, since rooms were available.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sara F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Laurel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us your feedback on your recent stay with us at HIE. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences the pull-out couch may have caused you and your guests. We strive to provide the highest quality service to all our guests and I invite you to email me directly if you would like to discuss your concerns with me in more details. My email is sara@holidayinnexpresslaurel.com. Thanks again for your time and choosing to stay at HIE.