“Average”

Ranked #10 of 197 Restaurants in Laurel
Cuisines: Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Red Hot and Blue is a full-service, casual-themed restaurant chain and caterer featuring delicious award-winning ribs, Memphis-style barbeque, smoked wings, and Southern sides and desserts. The atmosphere is steeped in legendary and contemporary blues music and delivers a large dose of Southern hospitality in a fun and entertaining dining environment. History: The first Red Hot and Blue restaurant opened in Arlington, Virginia in 1988, started by Lee Atwater, Don Sundquist and friends. Don Sundquist was from Memphis and served in the House of Representatives and as governor of Tennessee. The late Lee Atwater was an amateur blues musician and political figure that managed George H.W. Bush's successful race for the presidency. These men were friends who longed for authentic Memphis-style barbeque and great blues music. Unable to find that combination anywhere in the Washington, DC area they decided the only way to get it done was to open a restaurant of their own. The Memphis-style barbeque chain celebrated its 25th Anniversary in 2013 by partnering with a charitable organization at 24 different restaurant locations. The yearlong celebration culminated in the presentation of thousands of dollars in donations to local charities. The Name: The name, "Red Hot and Blue" is taken from the title of D.J. Dewey Phillip's radio show that that aired on WHBQ-AM in Memphis, Tennessee in the 1950s. This radio show launched the careers of Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash and broadened the audience for artists such as BB King, Muddy Waters, Robert Cray and Rufus Thomas. Red Hot & Blue Dine-In, Take-Out and Catering. Hickory-smoked Memphis-style BBQ, Ribs, Wings, Beef Brisket, Smoked Chicken, Seafood, Full-service Bar, in a Family-friendly atmosphere with a heapin' helpin' of Southern Hospitality!
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I visited this restaurant with a friend of mine for a mid week dinner. The food was average. I chose this place because I knew I needed a restaurant in Laurel, and there are many good reviews seen on Trip Advisor. I had the catfish, and while may of you may think that you do not go to a BBQ place for catfish, it is a staple in most BBQ restaurants. It was a bit overcooked and therefore dry. My friend had the dry ribs, and found them to be too salty. Overall, it was okay for a quick stop if your in the area, but not a place to which I would return.

1  Thank Najgeenap
There are newer reviews for Red Hot & Blue

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband spotted the sign for Red Hot Blues on I-95 and we decided to go there for a late lunch. The three of us including our son found it and thoroughly enjoyed the Memphis blues atmosphere and the great food. We had pulled pork and barbecue ribs and tried all the sides and the barbecue sauces. We consider ourselves experts on barbecue and we thought this was among the best. Glad he spotted that sign on I-95.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The pork sandwich I had here for lunch was really tasty, and great value. Service really attentive too. Can't wait to go back and try the ribs!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The food was good and fresh. Portions were substantial. Service was attentive. Ribs and pow pow shrimp were excellent. My catfish could have used a littlt more seasoning. But it was good. Real good bbq beans.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I just love red hot and blue! Everything I have ever eaten here has been delicious. Just today they were packed for lunch... That's how you know it's good!
I go here all the time especially when I'm craving some good BBQ and hush puppies (theirs are my favorite)

Been to Red Hot & Blue? Share your experiences!